Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt Kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 03:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing Belt Kits

I am looking at buying a timing belt kit. It looks like the most popular one is the ECS kit from:
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...ategory=Timing

I was looking closer and the kit only gives 2 cam seals, don't I need 4 to swap them all out?

As well, has anyone had experience with this water pump? It's not something that I want to be going back and doing twice becuase an OEM part failed.

-Pizza

Old 01-17-2008, 03:51 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Timing Belt Kits

i just bought that kit when i changed my TB about 6000 miles ago. from what i've heard, the water pumps are just as good if not better than oem, so i wouldn't worry about it. it's the ones with the plastic impellars like bmw uses that you have to worry about.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: mustang196718

i just bought that kit when i changed my TB about 6000 miles ago. from what i've heard, the water pumps are just as good if not better than oem, so i wouldn't worry about it. it's the ones with the plastic impellars like bmw uses that you have to worry about.
The OEM Audi pumpHAS a plastic impeller. Many of the reputable aftermarket ones are all metal. Try www.purems.comor www.blauparts.com . I believe that both offer kits that include an all metal pump. Got mine from blauparts.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: daroshi
The OEM Audi pumpHAS a plastic impeller. Many of the reputable aftermarket ones are all metal. Try www.purems.comor www.blauparts.com . I believe that both offer kits that include an all metal pump. Got mine from blauparts.
well my 4.2 has never had the TB or water pump changed, and it had metal impellar fins.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:15 PM
1st Gear

2nd that the 4.2 has metal fins stock. As the 4.2 is a better motor (ducks and runs)

Deffinitly should get a WP with metal fins. There have been several storyes about failed WP's with plastic fins never herd about a upgraded one fail

Old 01-17-2008, 07:43 PM
3rd Gear

Get the kit from purems.com It's a better kit then the ECS one.

YES< with out a doubt do the WP & thermostat! If they are both in good shape, keep them for spares.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:32 PM
2nd Gear

I am happy with the ECSTuning kit and so are plenty of Audi owners. I can't speak for the PUREM one but the guys above can be trusted. Metal>plastic

Old 01-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Site Moderator

The Pure motorsports kit comes with the hydraulic tensioner though, the ECS tuning kit doesn't, which is a plus.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:51 AM
1st Gear

if you opt for the ultimate plus kit though from ecs, then it does come with the hydraulic tensioner as well. just thought i'd throw that out there. in either case, be glad you have a 2.7t, these kits are way cheaper than the one for my 4.2 was. regardless of what kit you decide to go with, i think the best thing to do is to replace as much of that stuff in there as you can while you've got it all torn apart. at least that way you're almost guaranteed that nothing inside there will break any time soon, so that could definitely save you some money in the long run.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:18 AM
3rd Gear

I had great luck with the Blauparts. It included the antifreeze but I did have to buy one of the tensioners, which was $80-90 extra.