Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing belt lesson learned

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 03:20 PM
1st Gear
Default timing belt lesson learned

Well, I did the timing belt.... and it was a success!!!!!

one thing I would not do if I could do it over again, would be to NOT buy the cam locking tool...

You can save yourself $100 (ecs tunning) by just marking the timing tooth with white out, and marking the back cover. the cams wont move on you if your carefull, and mark the harmonic balancer as well with the cover (the cover has an arrow).

You definately want to buy the kit that has the water pump, and the thermostat and all the tensioners.

if you can, change the alternator while your at it (just as preventative maintanance)and make sure to change the accessory belt.

Other than that, it was not difficult at all. I was worried after reading some TB posts, but its cake. I am in no way a mechanic, just lucky to be mechanically inclined. so for those that are debating to do it or not, if you think you can go for it, I saved myself 1300+tax here in the chicagoland area.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:47 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: timing belt lesson learned

what diy did u use

Old 05-20-2008, 08:17 PM

I am in the market to do by timing belt service, but I really don't think I can do it myself. I am trying to find the best kit online so I can save some money on parts. I am worried that the kit will be missing something really important.

Which kit from ECS did you get? the ultimate or the ultimate PLUS!? I am also looking at blauparts for the kit, yet I've heard they are missing a tensioner. I don't even know everything that I will need.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2045042.phtml
This site was very helpful to me, when I did my TB. job BENG

Old 05-21-2008, 02:23 AM

just did my 4.2 v8 at home with no special tools , took 5 hrs in total , im a mechanic though :-)

Old 05-21-2008, 03:41 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: robster34
just did my 4.2 v8 at home with no special tools , took 5 hrs in total , im a mechanic though :-)
That definetly helps. 5 hours does seem pretty quick...

Congrats to Caddy2Audi for tacking the TB and winning.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:25 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: iMannyAM321

I am in the market to do by timing belt service, but I really don't think I can do it myself. I am trying to find the best kit online so I can save some money on parts. I am worried that the kit will be missing something really important.

Which kit from ECS did you get? the ultimate or the ultimate PLUS!? I am also looking at blauparts for the kit, yet I've heard they are missing a tensioner. I don't even know everything that I will need.

I got this one: ECS Tuning Ultimate Timing Belt Kit - With ECS Cam Locking Tool ES#7442

like i said, if your carefull, and mark the timing well, you could save yourself about $100 on the cam tool, but if your not comfortable with doing that get it for piece of mind.

the kit I got had the tensioner for the TB, but not the serpentine belt
buy the serpentine belt while your at it... you have to take it off anyways.

I have the 2.8L, so I only needed a full set of torx... allen wrenches... and a full set of Torx.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:27 AM
1st Gear

oh, and i used

this write up http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng39.shtml

this guy was extremely informative and precise on the write up

Old 05-21-2008, 10:31 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: robster34

Cant imagine how that engine is to work on.... but then again once you take the front off you have tons of room...

I took about i'd say 8 hours to do, but i think if i had to do it all over again, i might save myself an hour of going back and forth from the computer to read the steps

Old 05-21-2008, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

You guys makethe worksound very simple. I only wish I can do the same.

1) How easy would you say it is for a non-mechanic person like myslef toreplacing a timing belt on a 2000 A6 4.2 and a 2003 RS6? (I've changed oil on a Camry, ABS control module on Audi A6).
2) What is the difference between anA6 4.2 timing belt and a RS6 timing belt?
3) Don't they share the same enginebesides the bi-turbo? I can only assume that they use the same timing belt.
4) Would the work be the same to replace the timing belt on both cars?

Your imput is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: timing belt lesson learned