Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt paranoia

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 AM
2nd Gear

You might be able to jam a long allen driver in there but if you strip it your stuck in the Florida heat for an extra few hours. No Spank You!

Blauparts sends a long ball head with the kit but the kit I had the ball was snapped off. You will need it for the thermostat and powersteering bolts. I think it was a 5mm, You will need an 8mm to tackle the plug for the crank pin if you are doing the crank seal. I would use a stubby on that because it is going to be tight.( you can do the belt without the crank locking pin) Only other thing is the torx set for the valve covers and belt covers.

cheap ball heads; http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94534

cheap torx;
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91238

After messing with the power steering pump retighten the clamps because you will loosen them moving it around and it will suck in a little air and cavitate. I used non-perferated stainless clamps I got at West Marine and replaced that stupid ear clamp.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:16 AM
3rd Gear

Blau parts instruction does provide you with the torque values. As for tools, I am trying to rememer whether you need any triple square bits... Can't really picture it, but if you are planning to keep the car for awhile, then it is a good idea to get a set. They have M designations, like torx bits having T designations.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:39 PM

Well I am definitely doing the job in my garage - with the a/c on!! I work outside - not coming home or spending my day off working on a car in the heat.
Forgot, I have torx too, but may pick up some of the other things. I don't think my crank seal is leaking - actually don't think I have any leaks, but haven't really been under there well enough w/ all covers off to know for sure. Aren't any spots on the garage floor though