Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt repalcement of 2001 A6.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 02:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing Belt repalcement of 2001 A6.

My audi A6 2001 broke down while coming back home, dealership is too far away, 180 miles away so i had to take it to a local workshop, they tell me that part of timing belt is broken so timing nelt needs to be replaced? my question is : can timing belt go out with 63K miles on the car? what would be the cost to get it replaced? also do we need to change something else with timing belt like some idle or rotar?
thanks for the help.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Default RE: Timing Belt replacement of 2001 A6.

hmmm are you sure they not on about the serpentine belt and tensioner?? if it were the timing belt and something was broken you wont be driving it now that's for sure, check the car history the timing belt might have been done if not its time to get it done price wise I have no idea what they charge in the states but I recon around $900

Old 01-15-2007, 03:09 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Timing Belt repalcement of 2001 A6.

A timing belt can break at any time and for any reason. Now it is unlikely that it will fail early, but it does happen. A 01 with 63k seems early to me, but your car is getting up there in the years. Age kills parts just as milage does. I believe you biggest concern should be what damage was done in the process of the belt breaking. Unless you were idleing at a stoplight when the belt broke, you more than likely bent your valves among other things. Maybe I am getting ahead of myself, did the belt actually break? How did the car break down? If you simply need a timing belt job at an indy, it should cost betweek 900-1200.00 dollars.

Ask lots of questions of the mechanics, have them show you what is wrong. Do a lot of searching of this forum.

Jeff

Old 01-15-2007, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the reply, i am not driving it now, because it stopeed while running and then wont start, I had to tow it to the workshop, it wont start at all when i turn the ignition on. So if we have to replace the timing belt, do we have to do the whole kit change with other stuff or just the belt would be fine.
thanks again.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:14 PM
3rd Gear

If your timing belt broke, then you probably will need a lot more than just a belt kit. How fast were you driving when the belt broke?

Old 01-15-2007, 03:16 PM

well you probably did more damage than you think if it was the Tbelt could be damaged valves especially if you cranked the engine but a belt should be fitted first to check this and you never know what luck you might have but don't hold your breath I wish you good luck though

Old 01-15-2007, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

I was driving at around 10 mph getting out of airport parking, I called audi dealership and thye said that this model has non-interference engine, so most probably engine should be okay, have you heard of non-interference engine ?
thanks.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:38 PM
3rd Gear

What engine do you have? I sure hope my 2.8 is non-interference. Interference means that when the belt breaks, the piston hits the valves and messes everything up (the valves interfere with the pistons normal movement)so you can guess what non-interference means. My explanation is unbelievably simplified just so you know. If is far more complicated than that, but you will get the idea. So if your engine is non-interference, than yah, just change the belt. Getting a belt kit and also the thermostat would be the best idea.

Edit: Called my local Audi Service department with excitment thinking maybe my engine for some strange reason would be non-interference. I was informed that no US Audi V6 engine since 1992 has been non-int. Any C5 and up A6 with any engine has an interference engine. Call another dealer service department and verify your engine and then tow the car to a different shop. If you just change your belt, the engine will not run, well at least not well, if at all.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:57 AM
2nd Gear

Along with the belt you will needa new tensioner, water pump and it might be a good idea to replace some seals while your in there. Good Luck...Non-Interference..I wish..Then we could all stop being paranoid about t-belts.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:00 PM
1st Gear

i guess all you guys were right afterall, today got a call from shop that he changed the timing belt kit and car still won't start, he thinks the valves may be damaged, so i am going to two my car to audi dealerhip for them to have a look and see what they say not hoping for a good news, couple of questions:
1- if some valves are damaged, can they repair those or are we talking about engine replacement? how much will be the cost of valve damage repair? approx.?
2- i have extended warranty, they did cover part of timing belt repalcement, will engine repair be covered as well? its from united car care, platinum waranty that covers everything.
thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt repalcement of 2001 A6.