AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   tips and suggestions for the new 2.7t owner (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/tips-suggestions-new-2-7t-owner-55914/)

formulagigi 01-05-2008 10:57 PM

RE: tips and suggestions for the new 2.7t owner

unless under Audi Warranty I NEVER go to Audi Dealerships. I use small indy shops with AUDI certified mechanics. PAS and GMP in Charlotte do all the work on my car.

jth7708 01-05-2008 11:25 PM

Cool. Thanks! Now how do I go about finding other people from Houston to ask about local shops? I know, I know, fawkin noob!

formulagigi 01-11-2008 12:08 AM

Any Audi aftermarket shop or website
www.gmpperformance.com
www.gopar.com
www.awetuning.com
www.ecstuning.com

But I would save 1000-1200$ and get VAST Performance piggy pipes

squirls 01-18-2008 10:19 AM

Very helpful, thanks for the info! Here's a question that you probably have a quick answer to? Where is the battery in these cars. I'm a new owner of a used 02 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro and my car wouldn't start this morning. It's like 0 degrees here in WI go figure. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

NJGOAT 01-18-2008 04:36 PM

The battery is located in an access panel under the hood near the cowl (area at the bottom of the windshield). You should see a black panel with a picture of the battery on it with a + and -.

jmpryor 01-23-2008 06:32 PM

Hello

I noticed you have a couple of the mods I'm looking at doing in the very near future.

I wonder if you could let me know how they have worked out for you. And what you think of the other adds I'm hoping to do to my 2004 A6 2.7T ...

1) Giac ECU chip and the "tip chip"

2) Vast Phenolic intake manifold spacers

3) APR bi pipe and R1 Diverter valves

4) Vast ceramic coated exhaust manifolds (ported and polished)

5) Hotchkis anti sway bars (fr anf rr)

6) APR snub mount engine mounts

Any advice or ideas you can offer are greatly appreciated.

TurboedA6 02-25-2008 12:40 PM

I purchased a 2003 Audi A6 2.7ta year ago with 54k miles. I am now at 73,000. For the performance of this car I have to say the reliablity is great but as any sport car it needs to be maintained. Simple things such as doing your oil every 5k miles and letting the turbo's warm up/cool down(wind down) are going to determine how long things last. If it's 15 out and your that impatient person who will pull out and rev to 3k without warming the car up, yeah your going to have issues. My car is currently in the shop to have both front hub bearings and driveshafts replaced, T/B & sensors, and a few other things for just under a G... I let a wheel bearing go and it took out a driveshaft so stupid things like this are what lead to bigger problems.

offshoregaming 02-25-2008 03:57 PM

bump, very very good information. Just graduated school and bought my first audi 2004 2.7T. Look the car and will be busy with the work.

krelly 02-25-2008 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Teutonic2.7T

yo krelly what part of CT are you in? im working in CT now so im around the way. where did you get the chip? wheredo you take your car for service?alsohow did you gut the pre cats?

i was gonna get the chip, DV's andget some piggies.... but don't know of a reliable shop to get them done.
Im in madison, where are you working? I did the chip and DV's at excellerate in branford, i also bring it to him for service, actaully bringing it soon for cam seals. The guy who runs it knows his stuff and is very friendly.

formulagigi 03-01-2008 11:15 AM

another thing i found out...
If all of a sudden you found your brake lights stay on even when you have turned the car off and exited it, and you also experience loss of throttle irregularly.... you need to replace your brake light switch, a $4 part at the dealer and 5 minute repair.
However, they are fragile and finicky, so get 2 or 3 in case one doesn't work or break during install...

Teutonic2.7T 03-02-2008 08:59 AM

yea, gigi... thanks for putting that up! i freaked out when i heard about your lights staying on; yet another issue i am now prepared to deal with.

A6Tiger17 03-10-2008 08:00 PM

BUMP! Good info. I just bought an 03 A6 @ 40k and I have a good understanding of what to look for and also some upgrades. My "Speed Racer" days are over so Im just looking to keep my new-to-me ride clean and maintained, not looking for major performance upgrades.

Im planning VAST Dp's, APR chip, and also diverter valves (Any suggestions on what brand)

Im new to the Forums and I can see already there is a lot of info and suggestions.

formulagigi 03-12-2008 10:05 PM

welcome and congrats...
you can just get the n710 DVs from the Audi TT or get APR R1 or Hyperbosst...
Get an upgraded TBB like the Samco for reliability and olding boost

When (b/c it will happen :) ) your auxiliary water pump under the intake gives up and leaks, and you have to replace it, get NewSouth Intake gaskets/spacers ot the ones from VAST.

Make sure to do your TB/WP service at 70k

trapped 03-12-2008 10:54 PM

Gigi what is this water pump, mine is going, but what are the spacers and what do they do.

formulagigi 03-12-2008 11:49 PM

Air Intake Power Gasket for VW and Audi
[blockquote]
PowerGasket™ gives you up to 5% more power from your engine by reducing the temperature of the incoming air to your engine. NewSouth Performance has designed an insulating gasket that radically reduces the heat transfer from the cylinder head to the intake manifold. This gives you cooler, denser air for more horsepower and performance from your engine. Made from a high performance polymer, PowerGasket™ conducts on average less than 1/500th of the heat of the steel gasket that it replaces. Your intake manifold will stay 30-50° F cooler and your incoming air will stay 20-30° F cooler. PowerGasket Plus™ is a composite material that has a significantly higher continuous operating temperature than the original PowerGasket and does not require the application of any extra sealant.
http://www.gmpperformance.com/CFJFiles/GMP/8392_b.jpg

http://www.gmpperformance.com/CFJFiles/GMP/8394.jpg[/blockquote]

formulagigi 03-12-2008 11:53 PM

above are $75

VAST also makes these
http://vastperformance.com/shop/prod...0bfafa794e0377

A6Tiger17 03-13-2008 05:34 AM

Thanks gigi! I'm going to start putting my shopping list together. I know better than to DIMyself everything so I need to find a good shop somewhere down here. Anyway Thanks for the tips!

GDET09 03-22-2008 12:42 PM

BUMP. Great info. Im going to check all my hoses and vac today due to my CEL. o2 and control arms as well. Have a bit of shaking that needs to be checked out. Thanks

justincredible 03-25-2008 11:37 PM

Just found out Vast also makes 02 sensors for about 1/2 of the cost at the dealer. Deffinitly a good thing for us

formulagigi 03-27-2008 10:34 PM

many different places but I would just get VAST piggies for about $350.

JakeS4 04-30-2008 12:35 AM

sick info, thanks for this. it helps alot of people that don't know $#!t obout their new audi........perfect for me!

massboykie 06-18-2008 11:23 PM

These are for the S4, but a lot of this still applies to the C5.

http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/B5...Newbie_FAQ.pdf

http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/B5...uyersguide.pdf

Hope that helps

Cheers
Massboykie

gkb 07-07-2008 02:56 PM

is there a thread like this for the 2.8?

billvt 07-17-2008 08:11 AM

New to Audis. Terrific information on this thread and much appreciated as I just purchased an `03 Allroad with 48K miles and an extended warranty which should cover me for all those things identified in the thread. But, as I am already looking at acquiring an `01 A6 2.7T with 101K miles, this information will certainly make me a much better informed purchaser.

Thank you to all who are providing such good information on this site.

2002AudiA62.7TQ 07-31-2008 12:56 AM

BUMP
Good Stuff about the 2.7T, Im dippingdown to FLfrom MD right at 70k, tuned up, fluids great. Hope the 15 -17 hour drive goes well in my Audi A6 2.7TQ.

Over all thanks for the advise

michaelh305 08-03-2008 01:14 AM

Bump...

this post is great! Need to keep this one near the top. So if you have gained any by this please bump this post back to the top.

seninha99 08-05-2008 04:37 PM

ECU Codes

Hello,

Can anyone help me with some ECU codes that I am getting?

I have a 2004 A6 2.7T automatic trans. There seems to be no performance issues but I keep tripping the check engine light whenever I downshift using the triptronic gears. It happened to me twice and I stopped downshifting but today the check engine light came on again without me downshifting.
The only other thing that it is doing is that whenever I am coasting with my foot off the excelerator, the RPM indicator needle bounces in between 1100 rpms and 1900 rpms. When I am excelerating, the car seems to have no problems. Only when I am coasting and/or slowing down to make a 90 degree left or right hand turn.

P1624 Mil call-up circuit on active intermittant.
P0741 Tourque converter clutch no power.

Thanks in advance for any help.

eggy 08-15-2008 03:16 AM

BUMP! Awesome info.

Question. I live in a non emissions compliant state (FLA) Would a gutted cat help performance or should I leave it alone and save a few trees??

What's a good combination of mods to extract max HP from a stock setup? (2002 A6 2.7 TT 6 speed manual)

What's the next step in bolt ons with a budget of about 3k?

formulagigi 08-18-2008 01:49 AM

here's a link all A6 owners should have and visit... Will answer probably 90% of the questions asked on forums
http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html

formulagigi 08-18-2008 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by eggy (Post 929418)
BUMP! Awesome info.

Question. I live in a non emissions compliant state (FLA) Would a gutted cat help performance or should I leave it alone and save a few trees??

What's a good combination of mods to extract max HP from a stock setup? (2002 A6 2.7 TT 6 speed manual)

What's the next step in bolt ons with a budget of about 3k?

hey
I suggest you do some searching as they are hundreds of threads that will help answer your questions.
But here're a few things
Get Piggy Pipes (www.vastperformance.com, talk to Prince or Kurt). They'll gut the pre cats and relocate the O2 bungs so no CEL or no issues to pass inspection. This mod will give you maybe an additional 20hp-20TQ (some say 30) when cobined with the chip. But it will also decrease the temprature behind the turbos which translates in more reliability.

A good combo of mods is APR Chip/Tune, Piggy Pipes, then have a local ship make you a catback. YOU'll get about 350hp ish and 400TQ (Crank)with 93 octane. that's easy bolt on perf mdos.... go stage 3 and you'll spend thousands more but will get 420-450AWHP.

then I would get Hawks HPS pads, Goodridge Stainless Steal brake lines.... better rotors if you have $.

Finally get HSport sway bars to decrease roll and dive.. you'll notice an immediate improvement in handling... complete with a set a of shocks and springs... various optons based on your driving needs... H&R or Eibach springs are popular... KOni yellows or FSDs or Billstein shocks are popular... Don't do springs only and don't do Coil Overs unless you track your A6 or drive aggressively in twisties very often.

For looks basics are RS6 lip spoiler, S6 door blades, lower suspension (Above), front grilles, debadge the trunk(free), tint, wheels....
For rims I would stick to 18's for a compromise of looks/handling/ride comfort especially if you live in an area with bad roads or/and you pick an aggressive suspension set up... 19's is the max, bogger looks silly and you'll be riding on rubber bands. go for a simple clean design and avoid chrome.... look for a reputable manufacturer/brand, avoid chinese wheels..
BUY a good tire or you may experience vibration, harshness and exessive wear...

have fun
Brice

h00kah123 08-29-2008 10:20 AM

new to the audi family

hi guys,

this post was really helpfull..i have a couple of questions..i just got a 2004 A6, 2.7 sline package..i got it off a dealership who bought it from an audi auction..im new to the whole car scene. my car has done about 70 k , im not sure if they changed the timing belt and stuff.. the car drives like a brand new car, great performance..is there any way or place i can look to see if the TB needs a replacement.. and also if you could tell me ..wht else i need to look out for to keep my engine in top performance levels.

formulagigi 08-29-2008 01:19 PM

MY guess is it was not done as most owners wait til later.
Go to your local Audi dealer and have them pull the service/maintenance history with yuor VIN. If yo are lucky, the car was taken to the dealer for service by the prior owner and they'll know.
BTW how much did you pay for the car?
Thx

h00kah123 08-29-2008 01:29 PM

thnks a lot..ill try doin tht..i got mine for 22500 cad..its done abt 70000 kms on it..i plan to insall the K&N air filter..will i be able to do it myself..will i need to dismantle stuff to do the switch..pls help..

formulagigi 08-29-2008 05:51 PM

yeah easy DIY. One of lower clips on the right side of the box towards the motor is a pain to reach and fasten. Get a wire type hanger to form a hook and refasten the clip when done.

xplosive 09-07-2008 11:48 AM

ow do you give it a bump?

xplosive 09-07-2008 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by xplosive (Post 943592)
ow do you give it a bump?

...how*

formulagigi 09-07-2008 09:04 PM

you just did :-)

BK_audi 09-13-2008 01:34 PM

Thanks a bunch for the info....

jubs1983 09-15-2008 06:15 PM

thanks for the info just bought a 02 a6 2.7T will check those stuff soon as i get a chance.

Mattcr40 09-18-2008 12:17 AM

Awsome info this really helps, just bought a 2001 a6 2.7t with 78K if I turn off the car right after I get home I hear spinning, is that the turbos I'm suppose to allow to cool or something else? I have worked on all my vehicles and changed other cars TBs, having friends with garages helps, but I've never tackled a TB change on an Audi, how long do you think it would take?, and should I attempt it?

Also does anyone know about the headlight assembly, my driver side headlight sometimes just points up or down, and I have to manually adjust the light, any suggestions?