AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   tips and suggestions for the new 2.7t owner (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/tips-suggestions-new-2-7t-owner-55914/)

twinturbomew 02-28-2007 10:36 PM

tips and suggestions for the new 2.7t owner

things you should look into first.

quick reference

any car with or around 60K

1 timingbelt replacement at 60K & 120K
2 front suspension tie rods control arms
3 check o2's they tend to start going bad and can effect performance
4 year 2000/2001 if you have a bosh MAF check and replace if needed. they start going bad but don't always fail. they just start reading wrong.

any car with 85+

1 check all above
2 replace fuel filter
3 check all vac hoses (this Is best done with pressure tester
4 check around the turbos around this mileage turbo seem to start to show sings of failure
5 check your temp sender and make sure you have a green one that is the up dated one

this is a little more info about some of the above

Dose your car have a new timing belt?

this is one of the things that will destroy your motor if not checked. if the timing belt snaps you will do major damage to your motor

Your stock turbos will blow sooner or later. it is more of a matter of when not if

stock turbo is a Ko3
Ko4's are the replacement turbos they come from the RS4.
there are only 2 off the shelf turbos for the 2.7t that are OEM they are the 2 listed above

there are hybrid turbos available. a ko3 hybrids is obviously not going to be as big as a ko4 hybrid

A great way to extend the turbo life is to get Dp's. they will drop the exhaust temperature by 200 degs in some cases. not only that but they will alow the turbos to have less restriction and thus no work as hard to produce as much boost.

There is no reason not to get Dp's VAST performance sells tip and 6 speed Dp's for 400$

Also turn the boost down in the winter (if you have a MBC) or just completely disconnect the turbos from the N75 and have them make less boost

chips

chipping you car will be the best bang for you buck.
All chips increase boost to about the same levels. the only difference is the timing.
So don't believe that one chip over another will blow your turbos

the best chips are from the 4 companys that have been around from day one.

APR great chip smooth and fast

GIAC very aggressive on the timing and alows you to expand to a mbc and other mods without any adjustments

Vast Performance. All out custom tunes for ko3/ko4/RS6/and GT's

MTM this is a great file they fall in between the other 2 options. Don't seem to be as popular only due to not vary many distribution states

I IMHO would not suggest getting a chip from anyone else

O2 sensors can go bad and so can the 2000/2001 bosh MAF check both every other oil change. if either are bad they will cause the car to run improper

Also check you deverter valves up grades are the 710N DV from the audi tt

get a pressure tester for you car and sest the system Twice a year this will tell you if you have any boost leaks

Get a vag com from ros-tec it is the best way to check codes and monitor the car

Vaudi 03-01-2007 02:10 AM

RE: tips and suggestions for the new 2.7t owner

Bump

TCullen 03-01-2007 02:54 PM

Thanks for the info!

Baskin 4.2l 03-05-2007 08:25 AM

This is great info. Might think about making this a sticky for the new people. Either waywho ever reads this and finds it help full should give it a

BUMP for great info and direction

votblindub 03-05-2007 12:41 PM

good stuff

Frank Nitti 03-07-2007 05:37 AM

Great advice and tips twinturbomew.... I just bought an A6 last night and checked the car over with all your advice and it helped me fix various problems I was having. Moderators this post should be a sticky.......Lots of knowledge and great advice.

oakpark 03-20-2007 10:32 PM

thanks for the tips- realize this is an old posting ... but have an 03 2.7 T ... and a few problems.

1) there is a klonk sound from the front when i am braking .... could that be the control arms you mention should be checked?
2) there is a whining sound when i start up the engine ... just started 1 week ago ... sounds almost metal like ... is on for a bout 1 minute until the car is warm ... and then it goes away ...
3) general question - the battery indicator .... is 3/4 "full" is that normal? would have thought it should be in the middle?
4) Turbo indicator - needle never goes all the way up to the middle ... I would say approx. 45% .... do i not have full pressure in my turbo? could there be a leak? or is that normal?

thx in advance for your help!

Rasmus

2k S4 03-20-2007 11:02 PM

I'm going to sticky this.

But IMHO, TB @ 60 is a little early. I'd say more in the 70-80kmi range.

Purchase a VAG-Com! If you don't want to spend the $250, purchase the eBay cable, then get the software for $100 from Ross-tech.
It's a MUST have for any Audi DIY!

twinturbomew 03-21-2007 12:26 AM

thanks for the sticky 2K

oak

the clunk is most likely the control arms

the whine could be 2 things. one the secondary air injection comes on in the cold weather for a few minutes and then there could be turbo whine some 02 and up cars seem to do that.

the batt gauge should read about what you are decribing

the turbo indicator...... I am not sure what you are refering to. but if you d not have a CEL on the dash you should be just fine

Baskin 4.2l 04-12-2007 08:00 AM

Note to the new guys that read this.

If this post helped you Please give this post a bump to keep it current for the next fella that needs some direction and would like the info

BUMP

ppgoal 04-15-2007 07:48 PM

IMO, 60k is way early for the timing belt. The 2003 manual calls for 105k and I had mine done at 94k. Is there a risk - sure - but I think Audi would recommend a lower mileage if it was engineered for less.

Baskin 4.2l 04-16-2007 07:21 AM

Actually I tend to agree with the 60l service for max reliability. There are several people that have blown there T/B with less than 80k on the car. Audi has been flooded with complaints from people that have experienced a premature T/B failure that Audi now recommends that they get changed at 75k. So based on that there is a risk.

the old intervals
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/ima...ance.sched.pdf

the new ones
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/ima...ance.sched.pdf

all the motors have the same parts. Audi just decided to come clean

in the end its your car that is at risk so change the T/B when you feel like it. But for me I will be changing mine every 60k

It is for info like this that I would love for this to be a sticky for all the new people to see

heisse_mkII 04-28-2007 02:10 PM

Wow, I wish I had this info. when I first bought my car. Good info.

Costner 06-07-2007 11:59 PM

Couple questions about the updated maintenance schedule. First, I noticed they only have it indicated to rotate the tires at 5k and never again. I'll chalk that up to a misprint? I would plan to rotate every 5k and balance every 10k, and from what I hear I need to be sure the rotate is from front to back only since I have the quattro.

Second, does everyone agree that going 10k between oil changes is a good idea? I am running Mobil 1 full sythetic in my 2.7T (or will be as soon as I get my first oil change on Tuesday), but can I really stretch it to 10k between changes? I was thinking 5,000 or possibly 7,500 if I was doing a lot of highway driving, but 10k?

2k S4 06-08-2007 11:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Costner
Couple questions about the updated maintenance schedule. First, I noticed they only have it indicated to rotate the tires at 5k and never again. I'll chalk that up to a misprint? I would plan to rotate every 5k and balance every 10k, and from what I hear I need to be sure the rotate is from front to back only since I have the quattro.

Second, does everyone agree that going 10k between oil changes is a good idea? I am running Mobil 1 full sythetic in my 2.7T (or will be as soon as I get my first oil change on Tuesday), but can I really stretch it to 10k between changes? I was thinking 5,000 or possibly 7,500 if I was doing a lot of highway driving, but 10k?
Yea, rotate them when ever.

M1 is no longer a true synthetic, so change it every 5000-7500 max.

Costner 06-08-2007 02:47 PM

Mobil 1 isn't a full synthetic? The shop said the use Mobil oil and they would use a synthetic since I have the 2.7T but I never asked for additional detail and I really would prefer to use a full synthetic. However, by looking at the Mobile site, I came across this FAQ:

Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.
Now I see where they also have other Mobil 1 products that indicate the weight/viscosity such as "Mobil 1 5W-30" but it also said "Mobil 1 5W-30 is a high performance fully synthetic engine oil", so which ones aren't full synthetics?

Is Mobil 1 not as good as the marketing implies? Should I consider alternatives?

2k S4 06-08-2007 05:32 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Costner
Mobil 1 isn't a full synthetic? The shop said the use Mobil oil and they would use a synthetic since I have the 2.7T but I never asked for additional detail and I really would prefer to use a full synthetic. However, by looking at the Mobile site, I came across this FAQ:
[quote]

Yup, it's not real full synthetic anymore. M1 sued Castrol a little while ago, over what a synth oil is, so they changed the definition. It's not called a syth, but only has Grp III oil in it, & not even one drop of PAO, Easter or GRP IV. It's a quality oil, but not a synthetic.

We have talked about this in great lengths before, if you do a little search, you will come up on the links, & oil analysis test.

RIDINHIGH 07-04-2007 10:39 PM

Hey, I'm going to be getting an A6 2.7t here soon and I'm definetly going to be using this info when buying! Thanks! And I was wondering how often the turbos go out? Does it happen to them all? Thanks again!

ppgoal 07-05-2007 10:51 AM

RIDINHIGH -

Between this Forum and another Audi forum, I've seen posts claiming turbos have blown at 50-60k and others thatstill have their original turbos at 155k. Mine are original at 100k and I'm hoping they last a long, long time. I warm up the car before accelerating hard, let it cool down for a few miles after a high speed run, and change the oil (Mobil1 5W-30 or 5w-40) as close to 8k as I can. I'm no longer sure what a "real" synthetic motor oil is, but the original owner and I have used M1 since the car was new and it was required by DC for my Crossfire in order to maintain the warranty.

Cappachinoo 07-05-2007 02:23 PM

I just got a 2.7T S-line.

A great way to extend the turbo life is to get Dp's. they will drop the exhaust temperature by 200 degs in some cases. not only that but they will alow the turbos to have less restriction and thus no work as hard to produce as much boost.

There is no reason not to get Dp's VAST performance sells tip and 6 speed Dp's for 400$

What is a DP?

Cappachinoo 07-05-2007 02:26 PM

Never mind.

Cletus_Canuck 07-10-2007 02:30 PM

Thanks Muchly!
Printing this off.
Anybody have any tips on a good (and relatively cheap) Audi mechanic in the GTA?

ToxicFormula 07-27-2007 10:18 AM

BUMP. Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to use it when I go check out A6 tonight

k5gixxer 08-23-2007 10:28 AM

Wow....what a very good read! I have some ?'s though.....

Who can recommend a good replacement brake pad? I have the 321mm assembly and not a single shop here sells anything other that the ones I have just put on. They Suck!!! they sqweek really bad after several attempts to do things to quiet them....they still squeal!

If not Mobil 1 then what is recommended? Now that my car has over 115k, original turbo's so far, should I change to a different grade than the 5W-30?

Where is the MAF? I am assuming it's the Mass Air Flow sensor but where is it? And what are DP's?

someone took a look at my car with a VAG*COM and that thing is very cool and worth the investment! I as going to get one soon.

I'm glad this post was madea sticky.

seis29 08-27-2007 03:16 PM

dp? is that DOWN PIPE ?? where can i get one a6 2.7t 02

raddox 09-27-2007 11:08 AM

bump....for sure. Yeah I am curious about reasonably price DPs as well. the ones from APR are a grand plus change....with two kids and a wife...thats not going to fly.[sm=smiley13.gif]

Coors 09-30-2007 06:03 PM

Bump. Go PHILLS!

Baskin 4.2l 10-02-2007 05:30 AM

The piggie Dp's are the best bang there is VAST Performance.com there have been several people that are in the 11's with piggie Dp's don't believe the hype. you have a 2.7L motor that is 1.3 X 2 and a 1.3l or one side of the V in the V6 dose not need more than 2.25 inch exhaust. The other companies are playing on people and there thought that bigger is better well for 1000 less my thought is that piggies are WAY better

bleak17 10-14-2007 01:45 PM

I am having some problems with my 2004 A6 2.7T, I keep getting a engine coolant sensor high output error but my car isn't running hot. Also my car is starting to get sluggish and unreliable if i drive a while then stop at a gas station and shut it off when i come back somethimes it has a hard time starting.

What i've done that didn't help. Complete tuneup, airfilter, plugs, coils, regular oil changes, fuel filter.

The service tech at the dealership told me it might be the fuel pump but i don't want to spend 700 bucks to find out that he was wrong. Any suggestoins

tsbpenguin 10-18-2007 12:14 AM

If you've been running your car long and/or hard, let it idle for a minute before shutting it off. This effectively does the same thing as a turbo timer and extends the life of your turbo's extensively.

VAST dp's are $400 and just as good as the $1000-$2000 one's you'll buy from any other company.

What do you guys think about royal purple? I'm a maintenance whore so i do oil changes 3k-5k. And i always like to do it right, i've heard only good things about royal purple but haven't heard much from the audi community.

AUDiana 11-04-2007 07:08 PM

i am looking to buy a A6 2002 2.7 TURBO at 35,000 miles...is this car any good...am i going to run into problems? i had a 98 A6 2.8 AND the engine was gone at 190,000 but i repaired a lot during the time i had it...

justincredible 11-08-2007 11:27 PM

The Vast Down pipes are as good as they get..I have seen several people with them and there dose not seem to be any issues. I have the V8 version on my car and I saw 15hp increase..that is on a V8 N/A car you should expect to see twice as much on a turbo car

Teutonic2.7T 11-14-2007 12:34 PM

First of all this thread is awesome! much thanks to twinturbomew and crew for your good questions and keeping this thread alive.

My question for you'all goes:

I am currently looking to purchase an A6 2.7T @90K. The cost of the maintenence is daunting...and the dealer is already changing the timing belt because of ticking noises.

I just want my car to drive reliably... i am not looking to chip-it and really just want to use it as a comfortable commuter car since i fit in it well and enjoy the interior. should i still look into piggies??? replacement turbos?? I have drastically changed my driving style to non aggressive and try to drive in a way that preserves the car.. the engine and breaks. I am talking to the mechanic and based on what i've read here should i still hit him with the following check-up list?see below...

Replace Timing Belt along with the belt tensioner, water pump, pullies(?)and serp belt.
Check/replace The Oxyegen Sensors
Check Front Suspension Tie Rods/Control Rods
Replace Fuel Filter
Check vacuum Hoses
Check Turbos for Signs of Failure – or replace turbos!!
Check Temp Sender for update (should be green)
Check cv Joints/boots
Check breaks and rotors
Replace Fuel Filter
Check vacuum Hoses
Check cv Joints/boots
Check breaks and rotors
[ol][/ol]
Would what would you add? what would you remove!? this is alot of money for me to shell-out for a car that hasn't even left the lot.

Little help

Thanks!

Teutonic2.7T 11-15-2007 04:20 PM

Also the temp sender should be green what does that mean? My mechanic doesn’t know what I am talking about.

krelly 12-11-2007 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Teutonic2.7T

First of all this thread is awesome! much thanks to twinturbomew and crew for your good questions and keeping this thread alive.

My question for you'all goes:

I am currently looking to purchase an A6 2.7T @90K. The cost of the maintenence is daunting...and the dealer is already changing the timing belt because of ticking noises.

I just want my car to drive reliably... i am not looking to chip-it and really just want to use it as a comfortable commuter car since i fit in it well and enjoy the interior. should i still look into piggies??? replacement turbos?? I have drastically changed my driving style to non aggressive and try to drive in a way that preserves the car.. the engine and breaks. I am talking to the mechanic and based on what i've read here should i still hit him with the following check-up list?see below...

Replace Timing Belt along with the belt tensioner, water pump, pullies(?)and serp belt.
Replace Fuel Filter
Check vacuum Hoses
Check cv Joints/boots
Check breaks and rotors
Replace Fuel Filter
Check vacuum Hoses
Check cv Joints/boots
Check breaks and rotors
[ol][/ol]

Would what would you add? what would you remove!? this is alot of money for me to shell-out for a car that hasn't even left the lot.

Little help

Thanks!

I bought my 01 a6 with 90k myself, the timing belt was changed at 80k. If i were you just have a mechanic look it over, and see what he says. Most of the things on your list should stand out to you, i wouldnt replace anything unless it needs replacing, since parts and labor add up quickly...I've been slowly changing things as they come up and theres been no major problems as long as you drive the car respectable like you plan to do.

Teutonic2.7T 12-12-2007 04:19 PM

yea, i presented the mech. with a list & he almost lost it!

but in the end everything worked out... i got the timing belt and assoc. parts replaced along with the water pump.. also the serp., rear breaks, fuel filter, oil change, spark plugs. things are going good so far... except the driver's seat switch stopped working....

Teutonic2.7T 12-12-2007 04:22 PM

also... all this chipping talk is begining to convinceme. if things go well i might consider it in the summer... not trying tobe a racer, but more hp onthe take-offwouldn't be a bad thing.

krelly 12-13-2007 08:25 PM

you will absolutly love the chip. I did the chip,DV's and gutted the pre cats and its night and day. When you need the power you have it on hand!!

Teutonic2.7T 12-14-2007 03:54 PM

yo krelly what part of CT are you in? im working in CT now so im around the way. where did you get the chip? wheredo you take your car for service?alsohow did you gut the pre cats?

i was gonna get the chip, DV's andget some piggies.... but don't know of a reliable shop to get them done.

jth7708 01-05-2008 10:48 PM

Do those of you that take your vehicles in to a mechanic use an audi dealership or do you take it to aregular foreign car mechanic? I know of two mechanics, one near my house, and one near my wife's work that specialize in european cars (audi, bmw, saab, volvo, etc).