Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic shifting from 1-2

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Tiptronic shifting from 1-2

OK, I have done a search and didnt find anything, so if I missed this then please link me.
My 01 4.2l A6 seems to have a little problem with the tippy. when I have it in Tiptronic, it automatically shifts from ! to 2. All the other gears stay tippy. I know that there is the safety shift mech, that if rpms get too high it will shift to save you from leaving your rods on the road, put, this is shifting at very low RPM. It shifts much sooner than I would shift it even when not trying to really jump it. this is a big power loss when I am trying to gain some out of running the shift out a bit more. Has anyone seen this (Im sure someone has) and what would I start to look at? I can take it to the dealer, and have them look at it, but if I can get an idea of what I am looking at first then I can see if I can do it myself. thanks from a N3W8 to the site.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:27 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Tiptronic shifting from 1-2

Nothing is wrong with your car...that is normal operation for the tip to shift from 1st to 2nd at low RPMs. If you can find someone local to you with a VAg COM cable, have the tranny module recoded to 00032, which allows you to hold 1st longer in tiptronic (almost to red line on full throttle).

Old 02-04-2008, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

REALLY??? The only reason I say that is My 04 allroad which I drove today deosnt automatically shift liek that in tiptronic mode, (not auto) and my 01 A6 2.8l that I just got rid of for the 4.2l did nto do that. It allowed you to keep it in 1st till you wanted to shift (unless you lined it) Does that mean that both of those cars were recoded by the dealer? I just dont know if this one jsut wasnt recoded or what but it acts different than the other 2 Audis. I mean there isnt any other hesitation or problems, just it automatically shifting from 1st to 2nd while in Tiptronic mode.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:37 PM
1st Gear

Wow They even neuter the RS6 that way. Dealer didnt mention the flash though. That is just stupid. Any info on what I would need to tell a shop to do when they un-neuter it? Will they know what that means when I tell tehm to change the tranny module to that code?
Thanks for the help btw.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:11 PM
2nd Gear

BD is correct, I did it to mine and it took all of 5 minutes. I chnaged frmo stock 01002 to 01032. All you need to do is find someone local with a VAG COM and they can do it for you free. I don't have time now but if yuo just search the web or Audizine or AW there are coutnless threads on this with DIY info and screen shots.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

is it worth it for me to buy a VAG? Will I use it quite a bit through my endless mods?

Old 02-04-2008, 02:17 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: 8cyls~of~love

is it worth it for me to buy a VAG? Will I use it quite a bit through my endless mods?
Simple answer -- [sm=groupwave.gif] YES [sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 02-04-2008, 05:47 PM

What is so good about buying a vag? I know i can change the tranny codes and all that, but could someone please tell me what exactly I could do if i bought a VAG. Thanks

Old 02-05-2008, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: trapped

What is so good about buying a vag? I know i can change the tranny codes and all that, but could someone please tell me what exactly I could do if i bought a VAG. Thanks
Not only can you code things for your car (such as the remote window operation with the keyfob, etc.) but the real value comes when you get a warning light. You can run a scan to find out what modules are throwing a code, and get the specific code that is triggering the code. Absolutely priceless to know what is going on with the car before heading to a mechanic.

I've had one for a few years, and I also meet local Audi owners frequently to check for error codes as well, so you can help others as well. I bought the genuine VAG COM cable from www.ross-tech.com.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:11 AM
1st Gear

that sounds like a good reason alone if I am able to remotely (w/fob) have the wondows close/open. Is that correct? Am I in a 4 ring haze, that I can do with my Audi what Nissan has enabled since the mid 90's? It always irked me that Nissan had that in '95 but now I still have to stick my key in the door and turn and hold to close my windows/sunroof. Is that a possible setting with the VAG-COM cable? Dont play with my emotions here. I am already very unstable since my wife made me (OK just really fell in love with) my 4.2 and now I'm driving the allroad. Not really a bad thing, but 2.7T vs 4.2L isnt a comparison. Even she likes the extra b@lls to the wall of the 4.2. Ill get it back when it gets warmer and she no longer needs the heated steering wheel. (yeah not kidding either.)

Quick Reply: Tiptronic shifting from 1-2