Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired of my 4.2 c5 a6 being slow, bring on the power adders!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:17 PM
1st Gear
Red face Tired of my 4.2 c5 a6 being slow, bring on the power adders!!!

Alright guys, I've decided that I'm fed up with my 4.2 a6 sport being slow and want to spend a couple thousand on things to make it quicker. Any opinions or ideas that you guys have for power mods? I've already bought and have installed a stage 2 ecu chip and stage 2 tcu chip from VAST performance, but I'm tired of piddling with the little stuff. I've always wanted a c5 rs6 also, so I'm almost wondering what it would take to get and install a set of turbos from one along with the supporting mods. Anyone have any experience with this? Also, how far can I push the stock 4.2 motor? Any typical problematic areas when making power? I've heard that the auto tranny won't take too much more power but I don't know how much is too much. I'm just looking for possible avenues to go down because I'm just tired of it being slow. I figure it has a v8 so it should at least be able to sort of keep up with my other cars, lol. All opinions and thoughts are welcome, so fire away.
Thanks again guys,
Mike

Old 11-07-2008, 06:43 AM
2nd Gear

Opinion: trade your car in on an RS6. That is the best way to solve your "slowness" problem.

The problem with the tranny is that when it goes, it takes your bank account with it! But, review the RS6 forums. Evidently, those aren't immune to tranny problems.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:42 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
Opinion: trade your car in on an RS6. That is the best way to solve your "slowness" problem.

The problem with the tranny is that when it goes, it takes your bank account with it! But, review the RS6 forums. Evidently, those aren't immune to tranny problems.
I've thought about that before, but the problem is finding one that I want. No one around here seems to be able to find them at all, much less the sedan version. That and no one even wants to take my a6 in on trade just because it has a v8 in it. I'm almost wondering if I could pull the tranny and get it built. Hmmm....maybe I'm asking for too much from this car. Seems like it might just not have the supporting hardware to be able to do what I want it to do without major surgery.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

1) Realize that C5 4.2 has no potential....at all
2) Sell A6
3) Buy RS6 or 2.7t

Old 11-07-2008, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Stampy
1) Realize that C5 4.2 has no potential....at all
2) Sell A6
3) Buy RS6 or 2.7t
I hate to agree with others, but the 4.2's aftermarket is awfully limited. I don't know of anyone making a blower for that mill; you might be able to retrofit something on there and get VAST to make a chip that would work, but the performance market is really not aimed at the wide-body A6 chassis (which is too bad, as I think they look great!). I think to go farther than you already have is going to require some kind of induction/exhaust work. I guess you could have the head decks shaved down or thinner headgaskets to get your compression ratio up, but there's a serious, serious amount of homework that would have to be done beforehand, as you'd likely be breaking ground with something like that.

I recall reading that the auto was good for about 400hp (it might have been over at audiworld that I read that), but much past that you have to have it rebult to survive the torque. I think the block of the RS6 was different, with brackets and oil feed lines, so just taking the turbos and adding them on to your block might take some decent enginuity.

If you really want speed out of an A6....then yes, an RS6 would do it. So would a 2.7t with K04's (and the supporting equipment) and a manual transmission. If you had to have a wide-chassis A6 and you really wanted a challenge, perhaps your A6 chassis with a worked 2.7t dropped in it. Looking at the cars that you have in your stable, you might be the right person for such a challenge, too

All of this, of course, is my 0.02. Take with large grains of salt.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

Yes if you could manage to sell your 4.2 (which I know you said no one wants) and got a 2.7T you will see a difference instantly. A 2.7T with a Stage I GIAC chip will get you to around 5.7 0-60. K04's will get you down some more as well.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Stone825
Yes if you could manage to sell your 4.2 (which I know you said no one wants) and got a 2.7T you will see a difference instantly. A 2.7T with a Stage I GIAC chip will get you to around 5.7 0-60. K04's will get you down some more as well.
sounds like that's just about the only option, but i love the way that the bodies on the 4.2s look. honestly that's one of the main reasons that i bought the car was because i'd never seen a 4.2 model before. too bad they didn't build them with more power potential...i guess maybe i'll try and find a rs6 sometime in the near future as a replacement when this one starts to show it's age.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:23 PM
2nd Gear

got exhaust yet? stock system is might restrictive.
were the VAST chips not worth it?

Old 11-13-2008, 05:40 PM
2nd Gear

PES is working on a supercharger for the 4.2 with belt driven cams. I forget the exact out put but it will be over 400.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah, PES is working on a supercharger which should be pretty damn nice, who knows when that will be done though, they have been lagging on that project. MTM already has a supercharger for the 4.2L, but it costs a rediculous 18 grand.
Personally i would stick with the 4.2L over the 2.7T, when i owned my 2.7 S4 i was fixing things on that motor on a monthly basis it seemed, and some of those small things weren't ones i was fixing at the dealer on a regular basis. An RS6 is uber expensive to
maintain, like timing belts every 40k for about 4 grand each service. Just taking the lock carrier into service position requires removing the coolant lines for both intercoolers. Which sucks.
On the other hand Mustang, if you have really deep pockets, then nothing i have ever driven (chipped) was a faster car around a corner, including the new R8.

Quick Reply: Tired of my 4.2 c5 a6 being slow, bring on the power adders!!!