Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tons of engine codes?

Old 03-15-2009, 10:23 PM
1st Gear
Default tons of engine codes?

I recently had a po422 code, which I figured was a bad Catalytic converter. I bought the part, but waiting for my mechanic to get some free time, which should be tomorrow.

Any ways, I was still driving the car with the rattling Cat, but not for long distances. I got a check engine light, checked for codes again, and now I got tons of cylinder misfires.

P0300, P0301, P0302, & P0303.

Do you think these are related. If not, what do you think that is???????

Thanks for all the replies

Old 03-16-2009, 12:37 PM
2nd Gear

Well, reset them and see if they come back. They might have just been random, but if they are ongoing, you'll need to do something about them.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:31 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by b0b0
I recently had a po422 code, which I figured was a bad Catalytic converter. I bought the part, but waiting for my mechanic to get some free time, which should be tomorrow.

Any ways, I was still driving the car with the rattling Cat, but not for long distances. I got a check engine light, checked for codes again, and now I got tons of cylinder misfires.

P0300, P0301, P0302, & P0303.

Do you think these are related. If not, what do you think that is???????

Thanks for all the replies
These are all coming up because of your faulty catalytic converter(s). You should have no issues if the code didn't come up previously to this problem. I wouldn't reset the code till you get the new Cat's in. You will just keep getting the same codes after the first cycle of the car. That is how OBII works But gl with your problems and try not to gun her

Old 03-16-2009, 05:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by wammy18
These are all coming up because of your faulty catalytic converter(s). You should have no issues if the code didn't come up previously to this problem. I wouldn't reset the code till you get the new Cat's in. You will just keep getting the same codes after the first cycle of the car. That is how OBII works But gl with your problems and try not to gun her
I got the CATCO CAT, but my mechanic wouldn't put it on. He told me that this one has the O2 sensor before the CAT, when it should be after. But I got it online with the exact same car description (does this sound logical?)

Also about the misfiring codes, the car is hardly accelerating, when I press the gas pedal too much, the car almost stops, would this go away with the new CAT? (if I will ever get one that is)

Old 03-16-2009, 05:26 PM
2nd Gear

Yes that should go away if replaced with new cats. If you try to fix the cats you have currently at a muffler shop you run the risk of having the same problems. The lack of flow from the exhaust being clogged is not allowing the engine to run properly. Hmmm Id be pretty upset with the people who sent me the cat's and would have a nice talk about them. That is pretty big bullshit and I wouldn't take that anywhere.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by wammy18
Yes that should go away if replaced with new cats. If you try to fix the cats you have currently at a muffler shop you run the risk of having the same problems. The lack of flow from the exhaust being clogged is not allowing the engine to run properly. Hmmm Id be pretty upset with the people who sent me the cat's and would have a nice talk about them. That is pretty big bullshit and I wouldn't take that anywhere.
thanks for the info about the misfires, but are you being serious about the CAT not being right or are you just being sarcastic, I can't really tell??

Old 03-16-2009, 05:42 PM
2nd Gear

I am being serious why would you have to pay money for a part not ment for the car.. Who did you buy it from? If it was a company I would ask them why the product was wrong and give them the information why. If it is wrong Id get a new one from them to replace the wrong one, but if they are 100% sure maybe the tech isn't right about the part?

Old 03-16-2009, 05:44 PM
2nd Gear

Honestly pending on the laws where you live you could just replace it with a straight pipe to the rest of the stock exhaust. Since you only have a 2.8 it shouldn't be to loud and also would be a cheap way to fix your problem.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

about the CAT, they said that this part is for my car, they have sold tons of them, and it shouldn't be a problem. They said that this is an issue they dealt with before, but it shouldn't make a difference. So the part I got, is the part they sell for the car. Of course they will say it wouldn't matter, but my question was whether it actually does matter where the position of the O2 is. And yes, my mechanic could be wrong.

In my state there are no emission laws, I can do anything I want. I was advised though that simply placing a pipe in place would not be good for the car's computer, as it confuses it

??????????

Old 03-16-2009, 06:14 PM
2nd Gear

Your ECU tells your MAF what FUEL/AIR combo to use, the o2 sensors monitor that through the cats seeing the type of flow. Since you would be replacing it with a straight pipe that would be like deleting your cats and the o2 sensors. Making them useless, you can get a code delete for the o2 sensors and you are set. Or you have the option of I believe installing the o2 sensors in a spot in the straight pipe. I have straight pipes and haven't had any issues and have no o2 sensors in my car. That should be much cheaper and youd be able to even return the cats. I am sure they would take them back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tons of engine codes?