Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool set for 2002 A6

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 03:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Tool set for 2002 A6

Looking to buy tool set that could do most of the usual work on my A6. Any suggestions? link? places to buy?

Thanks

Old 06-28-2007, 02:23 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Tool set for 2002 A6

lighter fluid and a big box of matches? just kidding, i'm not entirely sure what you have already, but here's a link for some of the things out of the ordinary that might possibly need in the future: http://www.samstagsales.com/vwaudi.htm#axle
other than that, a good set of 1/4" and 3/8" drive metric sockets (deep well and shallow), torque bits, metric open end wrenches, and a couple screwdrivers outa get you by okay for most basic things. every once in a while you may have to make a run to the tool store, but that's just the way that these things are.
might also be good to have a 1/2" drive socket set on hand. they tend to come in handy when doing anything pertaining to the wheels/brakes/suspension.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:41 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply !!
I dont have many tools. Just few basic ones. I am thinking og buying 263 pieces craftsman tool set.

Do I have to buy torque wrench or I can get by without buying it? What brand? I dont want to spend much

Old 06-28-2007, 02:10 PM
1st Gear

Here is what I am thinking of buying:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...600&AFFL=Y

Old 06-28-2007, 02:47 PM
1st Gear

that looks great but I think you are best off doing what I did. I went to sears as well. But I got ALL metric sockets, Deep shallow, Metric ratcheting box wrenches. Torx bits and metric allen keys along with a screw driver set.

The car is almost 100% metric so you will have a large amount of tools you don't need as well as not getting several of the ones you need If you get the off the shelf kit. Find the kit with the most metric and then make sure you get the rest.

In the end you will see that you will be best served this way. I do as much work on my car as I can and having the right tools has made most of it possible........that and vast performance is only a few miles away : )

Let us know how it works out

Old 06-28-2007, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

Craftsman makes good tools, and buying a large set complete with both Metric and SAE is the way to go - because you just never know what you will come across and tools last for decades (plus Craftsman has a lifetime warranty).

I'm not one to suggest that the shadetree mechanics or weekend warriors buy high end tools from Snap-On, Matco, or Cornwell etc, so Craftsman is a good choice when you are on a budget. I have also had great luck with Crescent - I received a small Crescent socket set as a gift and find myself using it as my primary set - the Craftsman set is only used when I need another socket on the head of a bolt etc, and the Crescent sets can be found very cheap - especially if you have a Menards in your area.

Speaking of Menards, beleive it or not I like the "Tool Shop" brand for things like sockets because they come with a lifetime warranty just like the more expensive brands, but they are dead cheap. I picked up a set of deep well SAE sockets and a set of Metric and each set was only about $8. A comperable set from Snap-On would probably run upwards of $75.

There is such a thing of "getting what you pay for" especially when it comes to tools, but the basics are pretty hard to screw up, so just shop around and spend your money wisely. If you are serious about getting a nice set, Craftsman is a good choice when it comes to large sets, because it is way cheaper to buy a large complete set than to purchase each tool separately.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

thanks.

One last thing.. do I need to buy torque wrench or not? they are kind of expensive for $100.
what brand?

Old 06-28-2007, 04:26 PM

depends on what you intend to do to your car ( for a mechanic its essential ) for basic jobs it isn't, torque wrench I have many and expensive but rarely used due to experience, its rare you need them unless your going into the engine

Old 06-28-2007, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

depends on what you intend to do to your car ( for a mechanic its essential ) for basic jobs it isn't, torque wrench I have many and expensive but rarely used due to experience, its rare you need them unless your going into the engine
+1. you'd probably hardly ever use it. i think the only thing i typically use mine for is for torquing head bolts, wheel bolts, and cv shaft bolts, but that's about it, so i'd probably just save your money on that one.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:49 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: manobal

thanks.

One last thing.. do I need to buy torque wrench or not? they are kind of expensive for $100.
what brand?
Brand is unimportant - accuracy is much more vital. To be honest, the only thing I use a torque wrench for is to verify the wheels are torqued to the proper 89ft lbs, but beyond that I never touch it.

Mine cost a whopping 17 bucks at Menards (another Tool Shop tool), and although most full time wrench turners would scoff at the idea, I found it to be within 2% of a buddy's digital Matco.....at about 5% of the price. Good enough for me!

Quick Reply: Tool set for 2002 A6