Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny fliud

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:15 PM
1st Gear
Default tranny fliud

the car has 80k.. and the fluid im sure has never been changed..its not a cvt tranny so audi says dont change the fluid??? the fluid color is like a grayish clear color and no metal in the fluid.. would you flush,, drop the pan,, or leave it alone????

thanks

Old 12-18-2008, 07:25 PM
3rd Gear

I just purchased a 1995 2.8 AT-er with 150,000+miles on it. First thing was to change the oil.
Now the car rests on the driveway and I won't move it until I get my fluids kit so I can flush the transmission. From the maintenance records it doesn't seem to ever had a tranny flush performed. When it first starts and is cold, I noticed that it has a big lag in shifting to the second gear. That's why I want to flush the ATF before anything else.
If the flush doesn't alleviate the symptom, then probably I should look into buying a new clutch kit.

Nevertheless, not to digress too much, I think when it comes to maintenance is up the each and every owner's prerogative to care (or not) better for its own investment.
After all, an ATF flush is so much easier than changing the timing belt+thermostat+waterpump+serpentine belt.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:29 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
Now the car rests on the driveway and I won't move it until I get my fluids kit so I can flush the transmission. From the maintenance records it doesn't seem to ever had a tranny flush performed. When it first starts and is cold, I noticed that it has a big lag in shifting to the second gear. That's why I want to flush the ATF before anything else.
If the flush doesn't alleviate the symptom, then probably I should look into buying a new clutch kit..
A cold transmission (and therefore ATF) will stick in first until it reaches a functional temperature. That is a known issue so do not worry too much about this.
I do agree however that the ATF and filter needs to be replaced every few years, despite what the manual and Audi tell you. I am due for that task and just need to find the time after the holidays to do it.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:43 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by zippy_gg
A cold transmission (and therefore ATF) will stick in first until it reaches a functional temperature. That is a known issue so do not worry too much about this.
Your input is much appreciated. I don't think I came across this info yet, although I read quite a bit lately. This puts my mind to ease somewhat.
THANKS!

Old 12-18-2008, 07:51 PM
3rd Gear

Just to clear up the terminology, never FLUSH the fluid. Just replace it.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:54 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Just to clear up the terminology, never FLUSH the fluid. Just replace it.
Flush and replace....I stand corrected.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:18 PM
2nd Gear

I'm getting confused here=> there are two situations:

1.Murder - whats your car?
2. Chefro - if you are with auto transmission, what is the clutch kit for (or filter kit?)?

On 1995 2.8 AT the filter should be metal screen-mesh no replacement necessary.
As there are many reports for negative outcome of a power flush (obviously done in reverse) and the practical side of your application - you should use Dextron - correct?
As you do not have a filler tube the only choice is:
Drain-refill-drive-drain-refill... this is the proven process.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:26 PM
2nd Gear

You should prob go with synthetic tranny fluid. a little more $$ but better.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:12 PM
3rd Gear

I replaced the transmissiona and differential fluids when I had my clutch replaced at 89k miles. It was not specifically called for, but seemed like a good idea.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:37 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by nemohm
I'm getting confused here=> there are two situations:

2. Chefro - if you are with auto transmission, what is the clutch kit for (or filter kit?)?

On 1995 2.8 AT the filter should be metal screen-mesh no replacement necessary.
As there are many reports for negative outcome of a power flush (obviously done in reverse) and the practical side of your application - you should use Dextron - correct?
As you do not have a filler tube the only choice is:
Drain-refill-drive-drain-refill... this is the proven process.
I was living under the impression that an automatic transmission has a "multi-disk clutch pack" (I called it "kit") - 2 halves, that is applied via piston action, causing the output shaft to spin at the same speed as the input shaft, hence allowing shifting through the gears. If the clutches are worn out, the shitfing is affected.
But that's just in theory. You guys surely have a more extensive knowledge related to the automatic Audis. I just learn as I go, by discovering things about this car.

As far as the AT filter, this filter is listed

for the 1995 A6, AFC engine, so I ordered it. Should I understand from your question that the automatic trannys on the A6s don't have a such filter, and I made a mistake by buying it?

The ATF fluid I ordered is indeed the Mobil 1 Dexron-III synthetic.

Matter of fact, it comes as a Fluid Change Kit

Lastly, I hope I have your lenience concerning my lack of Audi experience.
Thanks for the help and further tips/bits of info.

Quick Reply: tranny fliud