Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Issue.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 03:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission Issue.

Hello All, I'm having a problem with My 2002 Audi A6 2.8T. Let me do my best to explain. I hope that someone can help. I just had the Turbo's replaced, timing belt and water pump replaced as well. I have been driving it for maybe three days just to and from work and everything was working fine. Until yesterday. When I put the car into reverse, it shows neutral on the dashboard. If I proceed to back up it highlights all the options "PRNDS" in red and then it will not go into gear. I put the car in neutral, turn it off and back on. and then it will only drive in "S" it will not recognize "D". Also when I put the car in reverse it gives a long beeping noise while backing up. A different noise then the back up sensor.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, if you have any questions please ask. I really don't want to put any more money into this car and would like to know if the Shop that worked on it messed up while re-seating the engine. As it had no problems like this before I took it in.

Thanks for the help.

Contherad

Old 11-23-2011, 03:32 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Could be a whole bunch of different things. I think you may be right that the shop that didn't get the transmission "re-seated" properly when they reinstalled the engine after the turbo swap. Save yourself the time and aggravation of figuring it out on your own. I would suggest you take it back to the shop and see what they say about it.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

02A6Beau, Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to get it back in as soon as they have time. Just thought I would get some ideas. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-23-2011, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

If it's rained non-stop in your region recently like it has been in the NE, what are the chances that the floor on your front passenger side is soaked in water?

That's where the TCM is located and could have gotten wet/soaked.

If that is the case.. check the water drain under your battery as it could be clogged with dirt, leaves etc.

1999 Audi A6 Water Leak DIY Tutorial - YouTube

I recently had to do this. If I didn't happen to have a passenger who noticed the wet floor, I probably would not have noticed until it was too late since my interior is black.

-----

you will probably have to take up the carpet and clean/dry the tcm ASAP or it may end up being pretty costly.

Last edited by OGBULLYLOCDAWG; 11-23-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by contherad
Hello All, I'm having a problem with My 2002 Audi A6 2.8T
You meant 2.7T Tiptronic right?

Just checking to make sure

Old 11-23-2011, 04:47 PM
1st Gear

Yes, that is what I meant.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:17 PM
1st Gear

Alrighty, The dealership said that the car was one quart low on transmission fluid.. They gave the car back and it was fine for the whole day but later that night it began messing up again. I've noticed that when it is put in gear you have to wait and you will feel it go into gear.. sometimes more abruptly then others. Here is a link to a youtube video to show you what is happening. I'm taking the car back in, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. I feel like the shop is treating the symptoms, not the problem itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el3l5seIdJI

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-04-2011, 11:38 PM
1st Gear

Tonight I just had a similar problem on my 99 A6. I backed out of a parking space (slightly down hill). When I put it in drive, it felt like it was in 2 gears at once. When I gave it a little throttle, it sounded like the engine was loaded, but the car barely moved forward. I then looked at the dash indicator, all the gear positions were highlighted PRND432. I then turned the car off, waited a few seconds and restarted. It worked fine after that. One of the A4 threads mentions a gear selector sensorswitch. Is that possibly the problem? Another guy said he cleaned the electrical connectors that connect to the tranmission and that seemed to help. I had no check engine light.

Last edited by bevanet; 12-05-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:57 AM
1st Gear

If it were mine, I would start looking at all the tranny connections. This sounds like an electrical problem and could be related to the tranny switch unit, I forget what its called but its the thing that translates the shifter position to an electronic language the tranny can undertand. The sporadic nature and reboot aspect of it says look at this area. Thsi is a part that the work you had done could have disturbed.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

Let the shop figure it out. Otherwise, you may be taking responsibility for the situation.

Good luck...

Quick Reply: Transmission Issue.