Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission a little rough?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 03:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission a little rough?

Hello guys, i bought the 03 A6 3.0 Quattro a little over 2 months now, im loving it, but im noticing that it shifts a little rough, specially from 1st to 2nd. I dont know if it was doing it before when i bought it, maybe i just hadnt noticed, is it supposed to be like that or is this a sign of more serious things to come? Thanks all.

Edit: Forgot to mention the car has 44k miles on it now, bought it with 41k

Old 06-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Transmission a little rough?

Check the fault codes at autozone, its free. If there is a fault code there will be a torque converter fault which is the most common problem. If nothing is in the computer get the trans fluid and filter changed.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:01 PM
1st Gear

Will do! I have done a search for torque converterin the forums and I see that if thats whats bad (most likely it is, because it shifts really hard, even my passangers can notice) I am getting a mechanical warranty tomorrow! 3500$ in one shot is not a nice thing [:@]How long do you think that part will last usually? Can I squeeze some months out of it? All im going to be doing is driving to college and back 3 miles a day. Praying is just a fluid and filter work [:'(], do you think Tire Kingdom will do a good job with the fluid change? I was gonna take it in for that anyways..read its better to do it every 30k to prevent tranny failure. Thanks a ton for all your answers, you guys rock [8D]

Old 07-01-2007, 02:00 AM
Site Moderator

I wouldn't get the fluid changed by a shop that doesn't service audi's or vw's on a daily basis. There are special tools to fill and drain the fluid on our transmissions and there is specific temperatures the transmission has to be in order to know if its full or not which requires a VAG COM or factory scanner.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:18 AM
1st Gear

I agree with auditech, dont take it to tirekingdom. For one I used to work there and the same trans fluid was used in every car....It is supposed to be "universal" but i wouldnt trust it. Also, we in a trans flush package, if you read, that doesnt even include trans filter change there, they just flush the fluid, its like taking a bath and drying off with a dirty towel.....Definatly look for fault codes first and possible TSBs that have been posted for your car....

Old 07-12-2007, 06:03 PM

I'm having the same problem with my '04 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro....did you find out what was causing the problem with yours? Thanks

Old 07-12-2007, 08:29 PM
1st Gear

Well I went to Autozone and got the computer, no faults, so its not the torque converter, im just waiting for the weekend to take the car in to a dealer and have the transmission flushed, i will tell you what the outcome is.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:12 PM
1st Gear

So I take my car to the dealer and the lady there says "How do you know you need a flush?" I says "Well its shifting hard and the computer is not pulling any codes, so its not the torque converter" she said well a flush usually does not fix thatin a Quattro , huh? How would she know? Anyways she says they will need to have a technician look at it and diagnose my car. I believe their just trying to pull the green out of my wallet, what do you guys think?

Old 07-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Site Moderator

Thats why you just say you want a transmission fluid flush, if you go in saying that you have been diagnosing it and it has a problem of course the service writer is gonna say that, they get payed off how much money they can generate.
Just go in and say you want a fluid and filter change, thats what they are gonna do anyway after charging you for an hour diagnosis.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

Got it Thanks for your guidance master! [sm=hail.gif]Only if everyone was just as honest as you

Quick Reply: Transmission a little rough?