Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission question?

Another novice question here: Whatdoes the "S" stand for and what isit's functionon the automatic tiptronic transmission?

2002 A6 2.7

Thanks.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:46 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Transmission question?

That is the sport mode. It is suposed to have a different shift pattern a little more agressive in the shifting

Old 01-28-2008, 08:23 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the response, i tried this mode from a stop and did notice that the car stayed in the gear range a little longer than normal before shipfting (up to about 4K RPM as opposed to 3K in the Drive mode). Still not sure why I would use this option, unless of course I'm looking to wax a rice burner off the light, which now that I have this car just might happen.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 PM
1st Gear

If you want even more out of the trans get a tip chip. I got one this weekend and I love it. really turned the trans into more of a sport shift then the lagy lay over usually there

Old 01-28-2008, 11:47 PM
2nd Gear

It is the Sport mode but not really made to start faster. The shift pattern is more ggressive than D as in will hold gear longer...
If you have not done so already you should do the free VAG tranny recode to hold first gear.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:51 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the tip Gigi, although I'll have to be honest and say I have know idea what your talking about when you say "vag tranny recode". I'm sure I'll get more familiar with all of the mod terminology the more time I spend on this site. I must saythough that I'm not looking to add modifications to my car at this time. I have enough expensive habits the way it is. I am a traveling salesman and "live" out of my car so I just want to keep this puppy running smoothly. The more it's in the shop, the less money I make. I do appreciate this site though and look forward to all the great advice in terms of maintence issues I see here. Take care, and I'm sure you'll be hearing from me soon.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:03 AM
1st Gear

He was referring to a free performance coding to the trans (well it is free if you have VAG-Com)

go into the trans section of the Vag com. Select adaption or recode change the value form what ever it is to 000032

This allows the car to hold all gears until you shift or hit the rev limmiter and then the car will shift it self

Old 01-29-2008, 08:13 AM
2nd Gear

Hey, sorry...
There is a software/cable that dealers/shops use for VW/Audis called VAG.Com. Anyone can buy it though, not just dealers. It can pull all codes, run all types of test on the car (MAF, O2, TRanny....), run trends, access various components of the car... Our cars came with some specific settings as it relates to many features/functions: Transmission, headlight, door locks..... PLENTY of them... Some are set to a specific value but can be changes and could vary depending on the market AUDI is sending his products to. So for example, you can change settings using the VAG.COM to roll up/down your window (sunroof too) with your remote, you can change the tranny code to hold 1st gear, OR to be in sport mode, OR to do both OR normal (US Factory, skips 1st gear unless you stomp the pedal and shifts are lazier). I have done the window up/down change and the tranny code changes from 01002 to 01032 (hold 1st gear and sport shifting). Find someone with a VAGCOm and these are free changes, I would not truly call them mod but.... They literally took less than 5 minutes each!
I like both "mods", especially the other day it started raining and I had left two windows down, I just used my remote to bring them up from inside the house. I also love actually having a first gear!
I think getting a VAGCOM is a great investment! I only have an OBD II reader but plan on getting a VAGCOM. T really helps run diagnostic if you have car trouble too. But I am sure there are a few fellow board members in your area who would not mind helping another Audi Enthusiast with diagnostic or setting change.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:43 PM

I gotta to say; this is a great forum. As a new Audi owner, I have gotten some great insight into what I though was just my spirited little commuter car. In November, I bought an 04 A6 2.7T S-line with the Tiptronic. Unlike my normal car purchases, I only drove the Audi and an Infinity. I only drove the Infinity because I felt so bad falling in love with the first car I test drove.The Infinitynever stood a chance.

Anyway a tranny question for the board. I noticed that the first time I drive after the car has cooled, the transmission revs to 3000 before the first shift while in normal drive. Seeing the statement below, I wondered if it was normal. After the first shift it performs normal, it just seems a little strange. Any insight?

you can change the tranny code to hold 1st gear, OR to be in sport mode, OR to do both OR normal (US Factory, skips 1st gear unless you stomp the pedal and shifts are lazier). I have done the window up/down change and the tranny code changes from 01002 to 01032 (hold 1st gear and sport shifting).

Old 01-29-2008, 09:55 PM
1st Gear

If the trans only dose this when the trans is cold. This is part of the worm up prosses for the trans. Both the ECU and TCU have worm up programs. the worm up program runs for 5 min in the trans the ECU switches when ever the required temps are met.

As for the shifting. if it still shifts too high after 5 minutes dissconect the bat for about 1/2 an hour. This will reset the trans learning feature. (your trans has several learning features and will adjust to your driving style) Once the learning prosses is over the only way to reset the pattern is to

1 go into Vag and clear codes (even if there are none)
2 disconnect the bat.

obviously remember to drive more tame if you wish to have the trans shift at a lower RPM after you reset

Quick Reply: Transmission question?