Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 12:50 AM
1st Gear
Default Transmission slipping?

Picked up car from dealer today - they were unable to figure out the following: in stop and go traffic, approx. 20mph or so - when I press the accelerator to move forward, sometimes there is a "clunk" or thud" before the car moves forward. Today on the way home - I paid particular attention and noticed that the rpm's would move about 300-400 rpms before the transmisson would engage - then the "clunk" and the car would jerk forward. Someone else I mentioned this to said it might be the transmission housing needs to be tightened -
It's an '02 A6 2.7t with 46k miles -
Any help or suggestions that I could tell the dealer is appreciated...
Thanks,
Charlie

Old 05-09-2008, 03:05 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Transmission slipping?

yea im having the same problem, just got my car back from a front end fix and noticed that if i gas my car too soon off of a stop sign it will jerk very obnoxiously, doesnt sound like my engines dropping just my car catching a gear to quickly adn jerking me into my seat . . . . any suggestions?

Old 05-09-2008, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

well i have almost about the same thing
i was told it was the catalyctic converter..... and i agree since i do hear that clank sound when gound about 15 mph or so

i do need a change because i have about 90k miles already

i changed my spark plugs and the car ran like new and it stopped jerking, you can try taht it should only be like 50 or so buks and if taht not it, well that one thing u upgraded lol

Old 05-09-2008, 06:44 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: akhan

yea im having the same problem, just got my car back from a front end fix and noticed that if i gas my car too soon off of a stop sign it will jerk very obnoxiously, doesnt sound like my engines dropping just my car catching a gear to quickly adn jerking me into my seat . . . . any suggestions?

my suggestion is to not accelerate so hard lol

Old 05-09-2008, 10:04 PM

I'm assuming its an auto.if so sounds like trans issue.sounds like internal seals leaking.can't build enough pressure until the rpms increase and build pressure and slams into gear.But I would start with the obvious.trans mounts....engine mounts....loose anything from previous work performed.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

i had the same problem with my a6, i went under the car and noticed that the rear seals on the tranny were leaking and there wasnt enough oil in the tranny, so i added about a quart of audi's mineral oil into the tranny and it runs fine no more jerking, still working on getting time to do the seals.
check if your low on tranny fluid and add some if you are.
hope this helps everyone

Old 05-11-2008, 01:51 PM

You can get an ATF kit at www.blauparts.com. To do it right you need the Audi Bentley CD manual and VAG-COM, or you could have the dealer change the ATF. While 46k miles seem low, you have the 2.7T and a heavy foot. You could have intermittent problems caused by bad ATF. When the ATF is changed, there will be gunk at the bottom of the pan.
Of course, you could have a bad transmission, but bad ATF is also possible.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

what about just the can?? where can i get that?

Old 05-23-2008, 07:47 AM
1st Gear

ok so i checked it out when i got back in town and i noticed that after a long drive the previous night, my driveway had transmission oil leaked all over it and my coolant tank was full of a thick white oilly substance. my dad said that the transmission seal is broken but my question is would a broken seal cause my radiator coolant and transmission oil to mix?? . . . . . . . . . . how much is it to fix the transmission seal(s)??

Old 05-23-2008, 08:03 AM
1st Gear

Well two different problems here! For the coolant, probably getting old or you have a blown headgasket.

For the tranny, well I'd have it checked ASAP by a mechanics, if it's leaking that bad it will be running dry before long and that would mean the end of your tranny.

Quick Reply: Transmission slipping?