Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission slow to engage

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission slow to engage

I'm a new Audi owner and purchased a 1 year old 2008 A6 3.2 Quattro about a year ago. The car has been relatively trouble free and has been serviced according to Audi maintenance guidelines. For the past 6 mos., I've been experiencing an issue where the transmission doesn't immediately engage when applying throttle from a dead stop. The RPMs will climb but there is a 2-3 second hesitation before it goes into gear. It doesn't happen on every stop. I had the Audi dealer look into the issue during a previous service visit and they couldn't find any issues. I even drove with the tech and reproduced the problem with him in the car.

The car has 34k miles so I'd like to get this addressed while it's still under warranty. The issue is a bit alarming in situations where you need to accelerate quickly, i.e. an oncoming car appears suddently as you begin to pull out into an intersection. Has anyone experienced similar issues with the automatic trannies?

Old 01-29-2011, 12:51 AM
3rd Gear

Throttle recalibration issue?
ECU/TCM software update issue?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like a bad clutch selonoid or a sticky clutch pack in the transmission. Check your lemon laws and follow them to the letter.

Bob

Old 01-29-2011, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

The software is apparently up to date as of the last visit 4 mos. ago. As another data point, overall shifting seems to be less smooth than when I bought the car. The transmission consistently feels like it's not sure what gear it should be in or shifts to the correct gear (up or down) a little later than ideal.

I'm due for an oil change in the next 2 weeks so I'll have them take another look. Iif anyone has access to TSBs and can check for transmission related bulletins, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:16 PM
3rd Gear

Although the following Transmission issue subjected all 2006-2007 models (I don't see why 2008 models would expressely be free of similar problems), probably Bob's got it.
Especially since you added that your tranny sort of hesitates through the entire gears range.

-
I'm just curious: What does it do if you manually shift it through the gears? Does it have the same hesitation/delay?
(Start from a dead stop in 1 and then shift it gradually through 2, 3, 4, D)

Old 01-29-2011, 03:49 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies. I'll post back once it's in for service with an update.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:30 PM
1st Gear

It's been a few months since the service visit and everything is still working correctly. The issue was a faulty brake light switch assembly which wasn't signaling break release. If the transmission thinks the break is depressed, it doesn't shift into gear.

The part number for the brake switch is 4F0-945-459-B.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:54 PM
3rd Gear

Oh, I'll be darn... Thanks for updating and sharing the diagnosis/repair with everyone else.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:52 AM
2nd Gear

Yes, thanks. This could save someone a lot of grief in the future.

Bob

Old 12-12-2020, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

I have had my second hand audi A6 2.7 tdi quattro for 3 years I stumbled onto this post yesterday my car would have a delay when pulling out of side streets and also the car would feel like it was slowing down all the time.
The paddle shift was so laggy I stopped using it.

So I got a new brake switch took 5 minutes to fit and the difference is night and day the car drives much better smooth gear changes and even the paddle shift works much better.

alvocado you are a star thank you.

Quick Reply: Transmission slow to engage