Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trouble pinpointing a coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

^2.8 V6 30v, correct?

The job is pretty involved, but not overly complicated with all the DIY's, service manuals & forums available.

Here's a DIY method without using the special tools:
2.8 Water pump/Timing Belt DIY:
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng39.shtml
(Are you feeling that lucky?)

I mean, it costs a little more using the proper tools upfront, but screw something up attempting an unfamiliar repair with shortcuts can cost you much more in the end..

Service Position:
Audi A6 1998 - 2004 Front Lock Carrier Service Position (Radiator Support) - YouTube

I know Blauparts rents the tools with the purchase of their timing belt kit (which you really should consider doing all at once while you're in there if you haven't already)

Audi Timing Belt - Audi Timing Belt Kit - 6 Cylinder

Audi C5 A6 Quattro V6 2.8L > Engine > Timing > ES#2015 ECS Tuning Timing Belt Kit - Ultimate - 078198479 V2

cam locking bar & crank locking pin:
Audi Volkswagen VW Camshft Alignment Tool Set A4 A6 S4 Passat V6

I think it's about $25 for a gallon of G12 from the dealer

If you're planning on keeping the car for a while, and wrenching on it yourself.. might be worth just purchasing the special tools.

Last edited by OGBULLYLOCDAWG; 01-18-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

Far as the Fan clutch tool:

you can just stick an allen key in the slot @ the bottom of the pulley to hold it in place while you use a large adjustable wrench to remove fan clutch (clock wise to loosen/remove, counter clock wise to tighten)

This video will give you a little visual idea of all what's involved in the whole process:
Audi Timing Belt - YouTube
A4 2.8 30V (procedure pretty much the same)

Old 01-18-2012, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

You are awesome, DAWG. Thanks a ton for all that.

Does Blauparts ship you the special tool and and you ship it back to them?

I plan to do the water pump (assuming that is indeed the problem, which it appears I won't know for sure until I'm in there), timing belt, thermostat, and cam cover gaskets...and maybe even the cam seals if it needs them. It all needs to be done, so I'll just get it all done at once.

Anything I should know about replacing the cam cover gaskets?

Yeah, I have a lot of work to do the car. Some front end work too. It's paid for and I don't want another car payment, and it's a good practical car for our needs. Plus it is a beast in the snow (although it hardly snows). So repair it is.

Thanks again!!!

Old 01-18-2012, 02:41 PM
1st Gear

^unfortunately I have no hands on knowledge on the VCG's, so I wouldn't feel comfortable giving you any tips/advice when it comes to that portion.

Hopefully one of the other members that have done it before can chime in on the proper procedure.

As far as the rental, yeah that's pretty much how it goes. There seems to be a hefty deposit required, but you get that back after they receive their tools back:

Audi A6 Timing Belt Tool - Audi A6 Timing Belt Tools - 30 Valve

Probably should call them up so they can explain the terms in detail.

I purchased mines because I didn't trust myself to complete everything within' 7 days.. lol. Plus it can't hurt having the tools handy.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

Thanks again DAWG. That looks like a handy kit to have available for the job. I'll give them a call.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:55 PM
1st Gear

I wouldn't be throwing parts at it when they don't need to be changed hoping for a fix. Go to NAPA and order a coolant pressure tester. Shouldn't be that expensive for something you can use to inspect all of your vehicles at a later time for coolant leaks. You may also need to get a VW/AUDI adapter for the expansion tank, pressurize the system and then look for leaks.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 02quattrokev
I wouldn't be throwing parts at it when they don't need to be changed hoping for a fix. Go to NAPA and order a coolant pressure tester. Shouldn't be that expensive for something you can use to inspect all of your vehicles at a later time for coolant leaks. You may also need to get a VW/AUDI adapter for the expansion tank, pressurize the system and then look for leaks.
I have one. It just makes it leak from the bottom of the crank pulley a little more frequently. Whatever is leaking is coming from behind the timing chain cover, as best I can tell. I don't know of any other way of finding what it is without removing that, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:33 PM
1st Gear

^^Pop off the clips holding the driver side cover. Don't take it off, just pull it back enough to take a peek (flashlight).

Clip it back when you're finished.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

Mabey you have a cracked block?

Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by OGBULLYLOCDAWG
^^Pop off the clips holding the driver side cover. Don't take it off, just pull it back enough to take a peek (flashlight).

Clip it back when you're finished.
Thanks. I unclipped it and took a look, from both sides, but couldn't see enough to be conclusive. I also pulled the coil carrier thing up and looked around there as well and nothing. Bone dry anywhere from the top.

Looks like I'll be busy this weekend.

Quick Reply: trouble pinpointing a coolant leak