Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Try to fix or sell?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Try to fix or sell?

Ok bear with me because I really don't know much about cars let alone Audi's.
My daughter bought a '99 Audi A6 quattro with 283,000 miles. We did start to try fixing it but it turned into a "money pit" within two weeks. The body and interior are in decent shape, it starts, the air works etc.
We have replaced the coolant reservoir and a rear tail light. Tried to replace the breather hose assembly but another smaller hose that was connected to it also broke off. We bought what we thought was the right one to replace it, but nope, wrong one.
The person who was fixing the car for her has now done a disappearing act (he was doing the work for free) and neither her or myself have any idea if this car is worth fixing or if we should try to sell it.
It also may need a tranny flush and fill, but like I said I really don't know much about cars.
HELP!!!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi Repair Shop

I have a friend up in NH with VAG shop. Shoot them a call if you are not to far away. They will take care of you, awesome people!

Old 06-04-2013, 11:01 PM
2nd Gear

283k on the clock is pretty impressive. Certainly one of the higher mileage Audis I have heard about that I can remember.

In my opinion it depends on the service records of the car. If they are virtually non-existent then it'll be a "money pit" almost for sure. If the service records are pretty detailed and regular service has been performed, you may be in luck. Either way, with such high miles, being able to do the work yourself would be a life saver.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:42 AM
1st Gear

thanks but yeah doing the work ourselves is kinda not an option and she bought it from someone who she can't even get a hold of now--I think she got scammed
If she was to sell it what in your opinion would be a fair price--she paid $750 for it

Old 06-05-2013, 09:22 AM
2nd Gear

$750 is a pretty low price to begin with. I would just try to break even, or come as close to breaking even as possible.

I don't think she got scammed. This is how the used car thing works. With Audis it is especially harsh and people get burned a lot.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

You will likely surpass $750 quickly; just clean it up and sell it... lessen the headache

Old 06-07-2013, 11:01 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi Problems

For $750, if it starts and runs, you stole it.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:46 PM
1st Gear

I fix those brittle hoses with 3/4 heater core hose. Carefully cut the ends off then just measure out how much hose you need and slip it over. Works great and its super cheap and easy.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

What's wrong with it?

A new coolant reservoir and a used tail light should have only run you about $80, not necessarily a "money pit" considering the labor thus far has been free and she scored it for $750.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:48 AM
1st Gear

tail light was $50 at local junk yard
hose and reservoir ran $140
Mechanics in my area charge $70/hr
She also just lost her job so no more money to put into it
Also may have a tranny problem but not really sure..hubby said it feels like it hesitates when going into first gear. Had someone who might be interested in buying it here yesterday and he took it for a short ride..said it was "weak" going up hill..

Oh and the guy who was fixing it for her bailed when he realized that she wasn't interested in going out with him....

Quick Reply: Try to fix or sell?