Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo is about to go

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Default Turbo is about to go

Hello,

I had my cam adjuster plugs replaced today and the guy I had work on it pulled out the air tube coming from the driver side turbo. When he did, oil was dripping from the tube (one ounce or so was pulled up in there). He is telling me this means the seals in the turbo are going (meaning the turbo is going bad).

Can someone tell me the easiest (and cheapest) way to replace them? I know its expensive no matter what, but can someone tell me how i can fix/replace them and savin some money at the same time.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:29 AM
1st Gear

It is common to have some oil in those pipes, I wouldn't worry about it. There is no way to cheaply "fix" if they do go. You got to have the motor pulled and swap them out. If you are at all mechanically inclined, you can do the motor pull yourself, that would save you 3k

Old 10-18-2009, 08:46 AM
2nd Gear

I second nothing's opinion, oil in the intake plumbing is common on the A6. Take off the hose leading to the intercooler and watch it pour out! It is, however, not a problem. Don't panic. Don't worry. Consider it a feature!

Bob

Old 10-18-2009, 12:15 PM

he is saying that "that" much oil (was a good 1-1.5 ounces in there that dripped out) means that they are on there last leg.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

I had a mechanic tell me that, the turbos lasted another 1.5yrs, driven hard. Also consider that the PCV recircs that hot nasty oil directly back into the Y pipe, it also begins to accumulate throughout the intake tract. 1-1.5 oz is nothing to sweat over. My k04's squeeze that much out between oil changes (5000Km). I pull the lower IC hoses and check, that is how much I usually find, and I boost to 23psi consistently. Dont fall into the turbo paranoia, you will never have another fun drive if you do

Old 10-18-2009, 03:29 PM
3rd Gear

don't worry about it. I don't own a turbo Audi, but all my turbo Saab's did the same thing. I never had a turbo failure with any of my Saab's.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:34 PM

is there anything I can put into the engine that will help to seal up the seals in the turbo?

I dont know turbo's... does the oil from the engine flow through the turbo or not?

Old 10-18-2009, 06:07 PM
1st Gear

yes it does circ through the turbo, and no there is nothing that I would recommend you put in to help the seals. As I pointed out, some of this oil is blow by that is recirced into the y pipe, you can get a catch can and stop alot of the junk, as far as turbos go, just keep pulling the lower IC hoses and cleaning them out

Old 10-18-2009, 06:26 PM

The lower IC hose (just to verify), is the hose coming out of the turbo, and is directly next the oil filter (drivers side anyway). Correct?

Old 10-18-2009, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

That's the one, it goes form the turbo to the intercooler

Quick Reply: Turbo is about to go