Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo question for the 2.7T'ers (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 10:54 PM
1st Gear
Default turbo question for the 2.7T'ers (long)

this is also posted on Audi World (audiworld.com) under the C5 A6 forum

so today i pull into my driveway and let the Blitz Dual turbo timer do its thing as im walking away from the car. I've never noticed it before today but i heard a faint sqweelish/whistlish noise coming from under the hood... my first thought is a maybe a loose belt so i pop the hood and take a listen. now this is what scared me, the sound is only coming from the passenger side and its a very soft kinda siren-type noise. so next i walked over to the passenger side wheel well and put my ear right in the fender gap, and there it is again, the same whistling/siren sound. To try to ease my mind i went over to the driver side and did the same thing, guess what... yep u got it! no noise! ugghh. I've heard clips of what blown turbos sound like and its not as lound and "dentist drill" sounding like i heard in the clips, but keep in mind its only idleing not cranked up to 6K RPM. now im scared to back out and see what it sounds like at a higher RPM because i dont want to hurt the car any more than it already is, if it is infact a blown turbo.

and on another note, what kind of boost readings are you guys getting (for those of you with a boost gauge installed), i've had mine installed for about a week now and the highest i've sen is .55 hkpa = .55 bar = about 8 PSI. this seems a little low to me, i've seen people getting somewhere around .65 hkpa with stock setups so my low boost only makes me further think that there is a turbo problem and today just happened to be the day i noticed it. that being said i'didnt hear anything while driving but i heard it as it was sitting in the drive way with the turbo timer going and idleing.

can anyone please tell me i'm wrong and just being parinoid? i really hope its not a blown turbo
its a 2000 A6 2.7T 101K 6spd, i've had it for about 4 months all stock, i'm assuming origional turbos because i was never told they were replaced and i'm sure if they were replace it would have been brough to my attention. thanks alot for any help

Old 03-19-2006, 12:29 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: turbo question for the 2.7T'ers (long)

you can have the turbos press. tested, just need to find a shop
with the right testing equipment