Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two days with the new 98 A6

Old 10-06-2006, 03:10 AM
1st Gear
Default Two days with the new 98 A6

Well its been two days now and I could use everyones input...
Lets start with my main concern...The transmission...she slips a little bit from first to second and from second to third...manual shifts fine...I would check the fluid if I could find the dip stick...where is it? If its low I was going to use some Lucas transmission stop slip...Your thoughts on using this...I will do a filter and fluid change soon but the guy at the auto parts store couldnt tell me what fluid to use...he thought it needed an additive with whatever I use....
Next are the codes...And work with me,this is from Auto Zone....
P1136 manufacture control for fuel/air metering
P1138 Said to be one in the same as above
P0455 Evaporator leak
P0441 Purge flow fault
Any input on the codes will be great.....
Next...
The cruise doesnt work....
The back windows only work from the front...even with the switch thing turned on...(The rear lock out) front pass.works fine
I tried the panic alarm and it sounds like a VW's horn....and is there any way to make the horn chirp when you lock the car up with the remote...oh and the horn sounds great...
Oh and it has a CD changer that I didnt know it had...thats a good thing....
How do you clear up the head lights? they are kind of foggy...
Please check back...there may be more...but gosh I hope not....

Old 10-06-2006, 01:56 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Two days with the new 98 A6

The cruise control, if I'm not mistaken, is a stalk problem; you'd need to replace the stalk to fix it.

The rear windows is a recurring issue with the driver's door switch pack. The safety switch doesn't work and the default action is to lock out the rear windows. You need to replace the switch pack. I have this problem on my '99 right now and I'm considering picking up a switch pack from Hong Kong (eBay search) and doing it myself.

You need some plastic polish to buff out the headlight covers.

The error codes I'm not sure about, but my GUESS is that you might want to change the purge valve (N80) which is located on the (facing the engine from the front of the car) left side of the engine, under the beauty cover just behind the airbox.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:22 AM
1st Gear

Thank you.I will look into all of your ideas..anyone else?
Any thoughts on the transmission?

Old 10-07-2006, 10:03 AM
1st Gear

Well I had a tranny service done on my 96 Avant but only for regular service not for a tranny problem.

I had a 93 Caddy Seville that I did a tranny service one, it wasn't slipping at the service time but the fluid was burnt, put some lucas in and then the tranny died. I dout it was the lucas but maybe it was to thick and cloged a part of the tranny up long enough to do some damage. Lucas is extremmly thick, like mollases.

I would not put anything other than Audi spec tranny fluid, its a full synthetic ( yellow kind) ATF and is whats put in Audi/VW with the seald trannys.

You will not find a dip stick because there isnt one, Audi and VW's have sealed trannies that dont allow the regular to check the fluid, second you can only check and top off the ATF when the car is a 40.c I belive and you need a Vag Com to do so. So if you dont have one you will have to drop the car off at a Audi mechanic and have him do it.

My guess is it can use a tranny service, this might fix it but its not guarenteed. Hope this helps

Old 10-07-2006, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

Thank you...is there anyone other than a dealership that can do this? We are in a small town and there is only a Chevy and Ford dealership here but there is a transmission shop and a couple quick lubes that can do a tranny flush...I've done a dozen or more filter changes on american cars but never an Audi....Also if its a sealed system how do they get the fluid in?

Old 10-07-2006, 03:24 PM
AQ6
1st Gear

I would not recommend the quick lube places even if they say they can do it. Here are a couple of articles that show the process and equipment you would need. I have heard the dealer gets @ $300 for the transmission fluid change. You save $200 by DIY

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...servicing.html
http://www.blauparts.com/parts%20dep..._vag1924.shtml

Old 10-07-2006, 03:24 PM
AQ6
1st Gear

I would not recommend the quick lube places even if they say they can do it. Here are a couple of articles that show the process and equipment you would need. I have heard the dealer gets @ $300 for the transmission fluid change. You save $200 by DIY

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...servicing.html
http://www.blauparts.com/parts%20dep..._vag1924.shtml

Old 10-07-2006, 11:58 PM
1st Gear

I asked the local V-Dub dealer about a trans service and you can ither drop the pan or use a machine.

They said they use the machine though and don't drop the pan, I was all into it untill I realized the filter is not being changed.