Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Type of Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:19 AM
1st Gear
Question Type of Transmission?

I have a 98 2.8L Quattro and I'm looking at getting the automatic tranny fluid kit from blauparts but it says that it does not fit A6 models with CVT (Continous Variable Transmission).

My question: Do I have CVT? Is CVT common on European models only?

Old 06-01-2009, 11:24 AM
3rd Gear

CVT was fitted on the front wheel drive only. The kit from blauparts will work on your car, which is a ZF transmission. FYI, I ordered the same kit before and it worked out great, except that mine took 5.5 liters of fluid. So I had to go get another liter from a local store. I would order another liter of fluid in addition to the kit if I were you.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:40 AM
3rd Gear

HX is right on the moeny.
Although they say their fluid "kits" are customized by models, they're not... So much for all that "we professionally have done this for more than x yrs, so we took the hassle out for you "....riiiiiiight
I'm also a living proof that their "customized" kit fell short one quart of tranny fluid.
Buy that extra (if not 2) quart of transmission fluid.
Although I tell you what: AutoZone sells the synthetic Mobil1 ATF Multi-Vehicle for less than Blau... that's for my car.
Your CVT may "require" a different type of fluid.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

Thank HX and chefro!

Yeah, I Plan on buying an additional 6 qts of tranny fluid because after I do the first drain/filter change I plan on driving it around the block then putting it back on jackstands, draining again and refilling. That way I get more of the gunk out of the torque converter. I know some people advocate doing it 3 times but I did it twice on my Bimmer and all's well.

2 other questions: I've used Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF in my Bimmer but I've read our trannies can't take it. Is this true?

Also, where are good jack points on our car to put the car on jackstands?

Old 06-01-2009, 12:14 PM
3rd Gear

There's no danger in driving it 500-1000 miles after the first change. That way it disolves better more gunk (if there's any built-up). My fluid at 152,000 actually didn't look bad at all, although it has never previously been replaced.

Blau sent for my 12V FWD 1995 the Mobil1 Multi-Vehicle one, and I do have a ZF tranny on it; so at least in some of the cars is still good.

It should be somewhere a TSB (just as the the one with engine oil meeting the Audi standards) stating the approved tranny fluid for the various type of ZF applications. If I remember right, you should also find the info on ZF's own site.

You can either fit the jack stands' heads across the actual "rubber" locations, or you can back the car up on 2 ramps (if you have them) and for the front the jack stands fit "longitudinally" in two metal U-shaped brackets fastened under the footwells, exactly on each side of the cats.
You should be able to easily see them. I would have taken a pic for you, but the freaking batteries on the cam are "extinguished" right now.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

Thanks chef.

for jacking locations though...there doesn't seem to be any good spots. I'd like to jack the front of the car up at the front someplace in the middle so I can place my jackstands and then do the same at the rear end. Can I use the differential in the rear as a jacking point? That's what I do on my bimmer and have had no problems.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:19 PM
3rd Gear

What I did was hoisted the car (one side at a time - I don't possess two jacks) from the rubber/plastic jack spots, and then fit the jack stands right under that u-shapped (or channeled) metal bracket I was mentioning. It should leave you plenty room to fit the jack stands in there.

I don't know about the differential....but since is solid metal you can surely try that route.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:35 PM
4th Gear

That Mobil1 tranny fluid is just fine... I get sick of peeps claiming that Audi's are somehow 'special'... gimme a break. I have a more advanced tranny in my '97 Intrepid.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:52 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
That Mobil1 tranny fluid is just fine... I get sick of peeps claiming that Audi's are somehow 'special'... gimme a break. I have a more advanced tranny in my '97 Intrepid.
I know the newer Chryslers are very peculiar regarding the tranny fluid - it requires that ATF+4, but even in that case I would still buy it from Walmart - they started carrying it about 3 months back.
Anyway, that's a little segway.
You know how it works: until you hit yourself the door frame you'll trust anyone saying that's nothing there.
Same thing with me, too. I ordered the kit from Blau immediately after buying the car. If I would have known that is the Mobil1 they will send me, and that AutoZone carries the same thing much cheaper, guess what I would have done?
Too bad they don't carry the phosphate-free coolant, but next time around I'll use Zerex G-05 from Napa.
I have nothing neither against Blau (other than sending 1 quart short of what was needed), nor against ppl recommending them, but I don't see anything "professional" or 'special" about them as a prime source for all the Audi needs.
(By the way HX, this has nothing to do with you, since you mentioned the Blau kit in this post; sorry)

So, I was thinking pretty much about the same - if Mobil1 is good in my ZF tranny, it should be as good in any other ZF one.
I just tried to direct madridlover to get self-informed about what he needs in his CVT.
Don't shoot me, Jim.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 PM
4th Gear

No shooting... I was actually agreeing with you

CVT's, on the other hand, do require special fluid.. It must say 'for use in CVT transmissions'.

But, then... madridlover has a ZF, so the Mobil 1 will work.

Quick Reply: Type of Transmission?