Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ultimate thread about catalytic converters replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:24 AM
1st Gear
Default The ultimate thread about catalytic converters replacement

Hello everybody,
I'd like to wrap-up the cats replacement threads for all those like me that are getting trouble codes and cannot have the ECU re-flashed.

From all those that replaced their A6's cats, I'd like to hear your stories, with a final word. In fact, most of older threads do not have a "the end", so they leave others without a clear picture of what's best to do.

Do you suggest genuine, aftermarket or universal (non direct fit) cats?
How much did you spend?
Most importantly, did you solve the CEL problem for good?
Thanks

Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 AM
2nd Gear

An "ultimate thread" should answer questions, not ask them.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
Why did you even answer his thread if you wasn't going to answer the thread! You just added useless space to the thread, making it longer then it has to be!

Now, for his question. What kind of Cats are you using? I was looking at racing cats for my car, I was wondering if you had racing Cats on your car, maybe thats why its giving you codes. I don't want codes, thats why I'm asking.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
In fact, I am proposing to all of them who went through the PITA of replacing cats on their A6 to share their experience so others will benefit.

That way, this will become the ultimate thread about the cat replacement on A6s. Do you grasp the concept?

If you have nothing to say about it, just disregard this thread. Thanks.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:53 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mathermaticz
Why did you even answer his thread if you wasn't going to answer the thread! You just added useless space to the thread, making it longer then it has to be!

Now, for his question. What kind of Cats are you using? I was looking at racing cats for my car, I was wondering if you had racing Cats on your car, maybe thats why its giving you codes. I don't want codes, thats why I'm asking.
Any kind of cat replacement is going to be an interesting experience to share, from universal to racing. In my case, I am looking more to replace the existing genuine cats with regular cats (aftermarket preferably).

Old 05-10-2011, 11:24 PM
3rd Gear

Here is my 2 cents... It also depends on which state you live in.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:54 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Here is my 2 cents... It also depends on which state you live in.
Of course in California you can't buy aftermarket cats (at least most of them). But other than that, the point is how you guys have solved your cat problem?

Nobody who wants to share?

Old 05-11-2011, 02:56 AM
1st Gear

The cats are good and just the Audi ECU specs too narrow for check engine light on, check out www.bigdaddiesgarage.com

Old 05-11-2011, 11:06 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bigdadi
The cats are good and just the Audi ECU specs too narrow for check engine light on, check out www.bigdaddiesgarage.com
I agree, CELs are a total scam. Car makers know that to pass inspection you can't have the CEL on, hence they set ridiculously low ECU parameters.

The O2 sensor minicat could work, but I'm afraid that there's a lot of work to remove the O2 and install the O2 w/minicat...

Last edited by Audimax80; 05-11-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

You only need it for the post cat O2 sensor(s), not the pre-cat ones.
30 mins they'll send you on your way if installed by indy garage. Space is good enough for 2002 A6.

Quick Reply: The ultimate thread about catalytic converters replacement