Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unbelievable !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:59 PM
3rd Gear
Talking Unbelievable !!!

I have been visiting the Dodge forum and the difference in knowledgeable people is like night and day when compared to the Audi forum.

There are maybe two “experts” and little interaction from others in the Caravan section. They explain a few of the major repeating issues such as sliding door electrical cord replacement and blower resister failure but lack passion for their vehicles.

When I asked about laptop CEL readers, I got a blank until I sent a PM to one of the experts. He said that he would have to talk with one of his buddies about it this weekend because he didn't use them. I thought something like RossTech or any code reader was the cornerstone of any diagnostic work and am amazed that the Dodge guys are not talking about their use.

So I’m looking for a cheep OBD II reader like the RossTech for non VAG vehicles without the help of a community like Audi Forums.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:55 PM
3rd Gear

I bought an Innova 3130 to pull codes from my Chrysler Crossfire (basically a Mercedes underneath) and it does relatively well. I have not used it on an American car but I expect it to work even better. They have a pretty robust product line depending on what you want to do.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:10 PM

I have an Actron CP9145 Super AutoScanner, which is OBDI and OBDII. If you use the scanner on newer vehicles, be sure the scanner is for CAN buss. You do not want just a code reader which does not check the monitors or provide real time data.
However, special non OBDII codes will not be read with an OBDII scanner.
Try www.baumtools.com/about.php

Old 03-13-2010, 07:56 AM
2nd Gear

I hear you I've been using an actron on my Chevy truck and I don't know why there isn't a better system. You would probably be better off contacting Ross Tech and pick there brains for a program, then use the ebay dongle if you find a program.

One thing is for sure the Chevy doesn't have anywhere near the sensors the Audi has. Thank God!

Old 03-13-2010, 11:32 AM

I find that the Actron scanner is more convient to use, if I get just a check engine light. My laptop battery never lasts very long, so when I run VAG-COM I prefer using an extention cord to power the laptop. The main problem with the Actron is that is can not read special non OBDII codes, while VAG-COM does for VAG vehicles.
So, if a Chevy, a Ford or a Dodge have special non OBDII codes, then my Actron is useless. The type of scanners used by professional shops may be able to read the special codes, however they are expensive.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:09 PM

Most of the scanners which may read and interpret the special manufacture's codes and which are for the CAN protocal are very limited and expensive.
http://www.autoxray.com/product_detail.php?pid=94
http://www.actron.com/product_category.php?id=249
A laptop computer with an interface cable and software works very well for VAG vehicles. What about for non-VAG vehicles, such as Volvo, MB, BMW, Chrysler, Ford and GM? There is always the problem of having special enhanced OBDII cables for certain brands being used on the wrong vehicle, since the cables would have the same plug but for different applications and licenses. The wrong version or type of software or cable could damage a vehicle.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:38 PM
3rd Gear

I'm learning a lot about laptop software and cables for OBDII. Elmscan 5 compact with touchscan software will read just about any OBDII vehicle, check readiness, and readiness monitors. It gives all results including the vehicle specific info, but only gives the code for most of the last items. One can easily get the meaning of the codes on line.

There is also OBDCOM and a few others. I'm now into cheep mode and finding the one with the most functunality at the lowest price.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:23 AM

The AX6000 Scanner includes a GM OBD-II MFG Specific Cable (Blue), which the cheaper generic OBDII scanners would not have. So, for a Chevy truck this special cable is something to consider.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Old 03-18-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by NH_USA
I have been visiting the Dodge forum and the difference in knowledgeable people is like night and day when compared to the Audi forum.
IMO, Audi owners lean way more towards the geeky/tech side of the automovtive world and truely enjoy that association.
You'll rarely find other car owners in the same league as an Audi owner be it forum or clubs..have you ever been to a Quattrofest?

Quick Reply: Unbelievable !!!