Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UP DATED-wondering to the right

Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 AM
1st Gear
Default UP DATED-wondering to the right

Hi guys, little problem with my A6, when you are driving the car streight along the road it has a tendency to wonder off to the right. It can be kept in a streight line by holding the stering wheel to the left. I have had an alignment done and that did not seem to corect the problem any ideas what else could cause this. The car has not been in a accdent acording to carfax or autocheck and has been maintaned regualy.
Thanks.
James

Old 02-05-2008, 11:23 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: wondering to the right

Tire pressure, the tires itself, I have two sets of all season tires. The one set drives straight and my newer pair pull to the right. I have no idea why one set would pull and not the other. I have rotated the tires several times and they still pull to the right. But when I put on my older set of wheels, all is well and the car goes straight down the road. So it must be the tires themselves. Not to helpful of a post I will admit.

Jeff

Old 02-05-2008, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

thanks Jeff, I am going to have the blance of the tyres checked when i goes into the shop tomorow. I am wondering if itcould be the sway arms or pther components of the stering.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:18 PM
3rd Gear

A drift to the right is not all that bad - at least it is conservative and not a left wing liberal.

Possible causes for not going straight -
Alignment
--- toe etc
--- wheel base different on each side
--- stearing wheel not centered
--- all the things a good alignment shop checks
Tire pressure
Tire OD
Incorect tire rotation -some tires have arrows showing the required rotational direction
Worn components that do not show up during alignment

Old 03-22-2008, 09:58 PM
1st Gear

Ok I put a new tire on theleft front and that made the pulling much worse, I did put the spare on therightside which was viretualy newto see if this improved things. sadly no joythere. I have checked the depths on the other tires, the left rearhas significant less tred on it than the other three. I am going toput 4 new tires on, balence andhave it 4 wheel aligned see whathappens.That should curethe wondering to the right should it not? that could cause a pull with the car being a Quattro.

(I called the audi dealer and they said that miss matched tires(in terms of ware and tread patern) could cause apull to the right and I heared the same from two other mechanics who I trust).

Old 03-22-2008, 10:03 PM
2nd Gear

^ true.... It can.

I am assuming you've checked tire pressure?

YOu need a good alignment

Old 03-22-2008, 10:09 PM
1st Gear

yes checked tire pressure first. (cheapest thing to do)

Old 03-22-2008, 11:32 PM
1st Gear

This couldbe a bit of a long shot but if the tiers do not work, the next place I was going to look was the relay for the speed sensitive steering, could that be bad and cause a pull to the right? the other thing I was going to look at was the rack for leaks.
thanks
James

Old 03-22-2008, 11:37 PM

Hmm mine does the same thing, its only slight, but I'm glad its to the right because its better than crashing into oncoming traffic.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:43 AM
2nd Gear

Something else to keep in mind are brakes. If one of your calipers on the right is seizing/rubbing the rotor this may havea minor effect.

The only other thing I can think of, and this may be a long shot, but the wheel speed sensor may be off and rotating slightly slower than the others.

Best guess is that your have bad tires, balance, or alignment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UP DATED-wondering to the right