Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 03:50 PM
3rd Gear
Default Upper oil pan

EDIT: C4, 12V, AFC engine

I am thinking of replacing both, the upper and lower pan gaskets.
Did anyone have to ever change their upper gasket?
While the lower gasket is fairly easy to replace from below, of course(although the sway bar seems to be in the way of some of the pan's bolts), is the upper one done also from below, or you have to pull the engine out?
I am trying to figure this out looking at the illustration from bentley, but there's no information as to removing/replacing the upper pan...

Any advice and info would be sorely needed and much appreciated.
Thanks you.

Attached Thumbnails Upper oil pan-upperoilpan.jpg  

Last edited by chefro; 11-27-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:01 PM
1st Gear

I'm pretty sure you have to hoist the engine and lower the subframe.
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=14649890

Last edited by ryuuoh; 11-28-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:15 AM
3rd Gear

Tks.
That doesn't look like a job for the winter without a garage... It looks like I'll wait for the spring and hope to find a cheap hoist somewhere (Harbor Freight?)

Old 01-27-2011, 10:12 PM
1st Gear

I am trying to replace just my lower oil pan. The figure i got from my local audi dealer is incorrect showing a cork style gasket rather than the metal one depicted in your image (Fig 5). I am trying to determine what the final piece that holds it in is (Fig 9). Can I just pull this down and bolt it back in or are there springs or valves i need to take note of. Also does anyone have torque specs for those and the oil pan bolts ?

Last edited by MplsKcid; 01-27-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:56 PM
3rd Gear

# 9 in the illustration is the actual oil pickup.
The gaskets for your '96 engine (AFC) are the same as mine.
As you can see, the torque for the pan bolts is only 7 ft lb.

I didn't come around to replace mine, but is still something I plan to do. My main concern was and still is the upper pan gasket, but it requires as pointed out before an extensive endeavor. It is too damn cold right now to think about it.
Some of the bolts may be hard to undo because are above oil cooling lines (see the attached pic). I don't know exactly how the pickup lays in relationship to the pan gasket, although I'm assuming it rests above it, with only the "mouth" reaching through that center hole. It is something you can figure out as soon as you lower the pan.
Please let me know how it goes if you do it before me.
Good luck

Attached Thumbnails Upper oil pan-dscn7127.jpg   Upper oil pan-afc-engine-2.8.jpg  
Old 01-28-2011, 09:57 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the image, I had already dropped the oil pan and had hoped to get some more information from the dealer when I was getting the gasket but they had the wrong image when they looked it however part #'s were correct. The oil pick up uses the same gasket so it has to be unbolted to remove the gasket. Is it just a simple remove and swap the gasket out and tighten to spec? I am not sure what is under it and do not want something to go flying when I remove it. Are the relief valves secured inside or do I have to lock them in place before I remove it ? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2011, 02:47 PM
3rd Gear

Sorry,
I checked thoroughly in Bentley and, beside what I already posted, there's no information whatsoever regarding the pan and pickup removal. The only information on oil valves pertains to the check valves in the valley pan.
Since you have the oil pan removed, can you snap a pic of what you see?
I would assume that those relief valves are screwed in the pickup cover unit, similar to the check valves into the valley pan.