Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vag-com setup/air mass relearn/limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:32 AM
1st Gear
Talking Vag-com setup/air mass relearn/limp mode

purchased a new vag-com cable from ebay, the software is telling me I need to test my connection and it gives me a bunch of different com ports as well as usb, the cable is a usb type, everytime I test the connection is gives me a error message, port status ok, interface not found, i dont really know what to do next, and quiet honestly were I live there really isnt anyone I can call, hoping I can get an answer from one of you guys that has this software and uses it regularly, also is there a way to manually relearn a air mass sensor once its been replaced, right now the car is in limp mode and im not sure how to get it out without taking it to a dealer, I tried battery voodoo and alls that did was lock my radio out haha, im really fed up with this thing, any help would be supremely appreciated.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

Maybe you should have purchased from Ross-Tech directly. There are a couple of different cables. They could have helped. Do you have correct software?

Old 12-10-2011, 01:31 PM
2nd Gear

If I remember correctly Vag Com will only allow you to choose from 4 com ports but depending on what you have on your computer it might assign the USB cable something like 9. That actually happened to me once. I unplugged the cable and moved it to different USB ports until I had a lower COM port picked by Windows.
You can check in your device manager what COM port is being used by the USB cable, that way you know what you need to select.

Also as First Audi was pointing out if you bought the wrong cable it will not work at all even if you have selected the correct port.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

This may sound basic, but be sure the ignition is in the run position or the interface will not be recognized. The car does not have to be started though.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:09 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

are you using the correct software? make sure you have downloaded VCDS-Lite, the version that works with non-official Ross-Tech interface

Old 12-29-2011, 07:04 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the advice, I bought just a generic cable with the Vag-com 409-1 software release, I will definetly try the download, also I believe my device manager is setup to com port 3 which is not being used, but you are also correct my laptop will give me like a whole bunch of different numerical designations. Key is in run position tho, haha, I used to be a flat rate tech in a chevy garage, got really familiar with the evap problems on those. right now I am trying to get to the bottom of a P1557 Charge Pressure Control Positive Dexiation. Found a bulletin on here that points out the intake ducts, specifically all the rubber boots and clamps. Gonna take a look at that as soon as I get a few hours of sunlight with no rain, again thanks for the help