Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VAG-COM vs OBDII

Old 01-27-2009, 01:19 PM
3rd Gear
Default VAG-COM vs OBDII

I don't exactly know how to approach this subject so that nobody's feelings get hurt. But I'll give it a try, and apologize in advance if inadvertently someone feels I am ironical or try to mock the VAG-COM suggestions.

Most guys with the Audi know-how, and willingness to unselfishly help, invariably suggest a VAG-COM when someone poses a diagnosing-related question.
From what I understand, in order to utilize and benefit from the VAG-COM you need a laptop. For people who don't possess one, that's a pretty good investment. You can dispute that, but I strongly believe that's a valid point.
The cheapest laptops (with a crappy Celeron processor) start from $ 400.

On the other hand, the generic OBDII readers you can buy from the local parts store read only codes related to MIL, hence are not really beneficial in conjuction with scanning an Audi.

I would like to know if anyone has found/possesses a hand-held OBDII scanner that performs and displays the same way VAG-COM does.

Some while back, from some post on the forum I learned about BaumTools (thanks to whomever posted the reference, as I cannot recall).
Skimming through their catalogs, I discovered under the "Audi Diagnostics" section the VAG405 scanner.

The MaxiScan VAG405 code scanner is an OEM level diagnostic scan tool for most VW/Audis sold worldwide since
1990. Accurate, reliable and easy to use, the MaxiScan VAG405 is a time saver and a money maker.
Features & Benefits
● Works with Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, Skoda sold worldwide since 1990
● Reads and erases Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) of engine, ABS, airbags, transmission, radio, climate
control(A/C), cent. elect., steering wheel, instruments, immobilizer, etc. (78 Systems total)
● Reads and clears generic trouble codes of cars using ISO 9141-2 (“CARB”), ISO 14230 (“KWP-2000”) and ISO-
15765 (“CAN”) protocols.
● C.A.N.(Controller Area Network) capability
● Resets oil service light / INSP1 / INSP2
● Retrieves vehicle information (VIN)
● Displays I/M Readiness Status.
● Displays DTC definitions on unit screen
● System upgradeable via internet
High-Pixel LCD Screen
Powered via Diagnostic Connector
Reset of Fault Light on Instrument Panel is an Optional Function
Unique Auto-Scanning Mode
Supports Auto-Scanning Test
Reliable / Accurate / Durable
User Friendly, Easy to Operate
Apparently, this hand-held scanner eliminates the need of a laptop, therefore it is much handier and easier to use.

If someone possesses one, or if there's anything better out there with similar/better features within the same price range (below $ 200; this one is $ 199), I would appreciate to hear your input.
BaumTools has other scanners, but apparently they don't have the same features as this one.

Thanks much and I apologize again in advance, as I am not trying to diss the VAG-COM.

Attached Images  

Last edited by chefro; 01-27-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:50 PM
2nd Gear

A cheap, used laptop can be had for under $200. A cheap, used desktop PC on a cheap cart with a cheap extension cord can be had for $50.

But, then again, this sounds like a neat tool! Buy itand let us know what you think.

Bob

Old 01-27-2009, 02:23 PM
2nd Gear

Chefro,

OBD2 come as standard in 1996.

Having an OBD2 cable might not allow you to scan your car -1995 (OBD).

Old 01-27-2009, 02:25 PM
3rd Gear

Sounds like a good tool. Couple of things that I can think that this might not have are 1) recoding modules and 2) reading measuring blocks. Neither one of these things are critical unless you really get into working on your car. 99% of the times, I don't use these functions either.

FYI, I normally use my hand held OBD II reader which I keep in the trunk. I only pull out my laptop if the code given requires additional diagonostics requiring measuring block reading. I have to admit that it is very rare.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:26 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by nemohm
Chefro,

OBD2 come as standard in 1996.

Having an OBD2 cable might not allow you to scan your car -1995 (OBD).
Excellent point!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:33 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for wonderful input guys.

So basically I need OBDI for my 1995? From what I gather, my connector should be in the relay box inside the engine bay, at the top of front driver's side wheel well (or plenum panel). I don't think I have a connector in the center console (by the emergengy brake), as I didn't see a connection recess under the panel.

The owner manual shows some sort of a strap-cable that plugs into two slots.
(I bought the car without a such strap cable)
If I buy something like this, I would assume I would also need some sort of an adapter. Should the adapter have two "heads" or plugs similar with the strap cable?
I can easily contact them and ask if this particular scanner comes with an adapter for old OBDI systems, but I thought you guys provide for great advice.

I can scan the page from the owner manual, if needed.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:08 PM
3rd Gear

Not recommending, but Harbor Freight Tools advertises a Cen-Tech VW/Audi 1990 CAN OBD reader for $99 and an OBDII for $44.99. I don't think their stuff is high quality (lots of China-made) but I did buy a battery float charger from them that seems ok and cheap.

www.harborfreight.com

Old 01-27-2009, 04:21 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks, PP.

If it wasn't a different brand, I could swear it is the same product as the VAG405..., but $ 100 cheaper...

Old 01-28-2009, 03:37 PM
2nd Gear

Everything is made in China!
(Audis are made in India, not in China).

Look for VAG 405 on Ebay => for less than $100!

Old 01-29-2009, 12:02 AM
1st Gear

Chefro,

Funny, ain't it? I was going to mention the HF model till I read the rest of your OP. I thought "I don't think MY HF model does all THAT?"

My HF model, 80 bucks on sale for 60, reads 2 faults on my 97 A6, 2.8, with Audi-VAG codes.

My pal's garage got the Snap-On man to use HIS 2500 buck machine on it and got ONE generic code. I had to go to the cross ref site to decode it.

Mine is different from the pic you showed, I think. The connector cable ifs fixed, rather than removable, as that one is. But, then, it is the 80, not the 100 buck model.

As to the older models, when I was at the Audi pros boneyard, the mech there had a VAG with computer attached to the fuse box under the hood. I think he said it was a '92, and VAG coulld read it with his connector.

I can't swear to this, but would think it was a 2 prong adapter to the OBDII connector. Maybe the same as the even older Audis that used 2 prongs and a trigger to flash a code

If you have an HF near you, go and ask if you can read the package insert.

20% off coupons on the WEB if you hunt. Get it for 80.

All too true, they're all made in China, put a new name on them and sell them for double.

Cheers,

George

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VAG-COM vs OBDII