Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration-

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:15 PM
1st Gear
Default vibration-

im at 110k on my 2.7T, getting some nice vibrations over 50mph, Any ideas? I havent replaced my tie-rods/ control arms yet.. is it those?

Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 PM
2nd Gear

Probably. When is the last time you had your tires balanced? Do that first. After that, it becomes a crap shoot. Wheels, tie rod ends, control arms, brakes, struts and/or strut hats.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 03-02-2009, 08:47 PM
2nd Gear

what he said! we've all battled those darn vibrations...
For me, it was a rim once, with a flat spot.
Another was a tire
I also had to replace tie rod ends and control arms once.
Last time was rotors, slightly warped.
when does he do it? straight line? coasting, braking? turning? any other symptoms (i.e. noise?)... seat vibration? steering wheel?
Give us more details and start with the easy stuff. switch front and rear wheels and see if vibration changes from steering wheel to seat for example. May help you isolate to front or rear wheels, even wheels period.
... good luck

Old 03-02-2009, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

I just put 4 new tires on about a month ago. the vibration is not when im braking. It gets really noticeable above 60 just cruzin, the wheel vibrates and so does my beer. makes the beer all foamy, now i know what they say dont drink and drive. Should I rotate tires? What does control arm/tie rod replacement run? is it an easy DIY??.. i did my Timing belt so i like gettin dirty.
thanks!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:58 PM
1st Gear

My money's on bent rims. I found out I have three of them! A great balancing job can help some, depending on who does it and how badly bent they are. They guy I went to actually SHAVES the metal weights down into little pieces until the balance is as perfect as it can be. Town Fair Tire, on the other hand, "balanced" the same wheels and tires 3 TIMES without helping the situation until I brought it to this guy.

Also, I was told that if it vibrates more in the seat, it's the rear wheels. If it's more in the steering wheel, it's the front wheels.
But as we all know, it could be alot of different things....

Old 03-03-2009, 02:25 AM
1st Gear

My car came with 16"s from a 07 A4 with new tires last year. It had a slight shake from speeds 45-60 but it didn't seem too bad. Replaced the brakes when they wore, still there. Driving in the hills a few weeks ago my drivers side front tire blew. Upon inspection as I had plenty of time because I had no cell service and my spare is a 17" I noticed it wore completely around the inner wall all the way down to the steel chords.

Bought a set of Momo 18s with cheapo tires and the shake is worse. Balanced the tires, no change. Tire shop blamed the shake (visible on lift) on my wheels being universal, as in not OE. He felt tie rod ends had nothing to do with it, I felt he was an idiot an left. I didn't believe him because it was there with the 16"s. Replaced the axle on that side (torn boot). Still shakes. A euro shop told be too buy nice tires then they'd replace the tie rod ends (boots torn) and align. I'm not replacing my cheapo tires because I really believe its the tie rod ends.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:05 AM
2nd Gear

tie rod ends .... or perhaps even a wheel bearing .... mine is going and shakes like hell at about 55-60

Old 03-03-2009, 09:35 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Keithr726
I'm not replacing my cheapo tires because I really believe its the tie rod ends.
I'd blame cheap tires over tie rod ends myself... IMHO

Old 03-03-2009, 11:30 AM
3rd Gear

You can visually inspect tie rod ends. Just look at the rubber boot and check for any damage. give it a little shake and it should be tight. There is nothing special about inspecting tie rod ends.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:51 PM
2nd Gear

If the wheel vibrates, move yuor front wheel to the back and rear to fronts
If the vibration moves fomr steering wheel to seat, it is a wheel issue. you may have a flat spot, or a bad tire.
If not, most likely tie rod ends

Quick Reply: vibration-