Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VW Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:50 PM
1st Gear
Default VW Instrument Cluster

I am looking at a 2003 A6 wagon. I like the car enough, but the red instrument lights drive me absolutely crazy! I noticed that the instrument cluster seems to be almost identical to the Passat - I was wondering if they were interchangeable? I don't know if it is the light or LED that is a different color or simply the overlay, but I was imagining it might not be that big a difficulty to fix at least the primary instruments.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:41 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: VW Instrument Cluster

Then buy the Passat.
No, it will not work.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 AM
3rd Gear

Red is the best backlight color for night driving. It has the least impact on your vision. And it matches my Bel V965 leds.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

i personally agree with cloudship.....

its actually the thing i hate most on my A6.... thats cuz i have to look at it all the time.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:14 PM
3rd Gear

Try driving with your eyes closed like most of the Boston drivers. [X(]

My van and A6 were hit within two days.-- Just a small amount of damage, but a pain in the a$$ to get fixed![:@]

Old 01-18-2008, 03:27 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: NH_USA

Try driving with your eyes closed like most of the Boston drivers. [X(]
Exactly! How am I supposed to get any shut eye with all that red light?

I know that Red is supposedly good, I just have a problem with it. Don't know why, but it gives me a headache. So I was thinking if there was an way to change it. I like the Audi engines better than teh VW engines.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

The only problem I would see you having is how integrated the red lighting is. It's not like it is just a background color, many things, like the LCD displays, show text in that color.

Swapping the color LED's in GTO's was all the rage a little while ago, but it did require you to send it out and have it professionally done. Given that (and knowing how low tech the GTO cluster is) I would imagine your only option would be to hack up everything to get to the bulbs and swap them.

While the straight cluster swap may sound like a good idea, I do believe that the clusters interface with the ECU and are coded to each other. So, a straight swap from a VW probably wouldn't work without getting the ECU re-programmed to match.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

On the bridge ofNavy ships all lights at night are red so your night vision is not effected. I think all the red lights in the A6 cabin are cool.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:20 AM
2nd Gear

Ask the Toyota Camry driver. The other day my colleague from work sat in my car at night when I have to drop him nearby and he was all impressed with the red display and lights. He said, I feel like I am sitting in a cockpit.

NH_USA, no... he wasn't sitting on my lap.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:23 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Nocturnal_A62.7

NH_USA, no... he wasn't sitting on my lap.
lol

Quick Reply: VW Instrument Cluster