Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to add performance to my 2.7T. LI, NY

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:08 AM
1st Gear
Default Want to add performance to my 2.7T. LI, NY

first thing -- I need the hose circled in the picture. it dry rotted and ripped a bit right where the arrow is pointing. do any companies make high performance versions made of sylicone or something rather than rubber?

second -- I hear chips make a HUGE difference on this motor. I also heard GIAC chip is the way to go? where and how can I get that? I'm in LI, NY. what else do I have to do to protect my turbos?

third -- what do the diverter valves do? the ones on www.lltek.com are way too much money. I found some on another website that had both for around $115 but no BOV sound, I don't think so at least.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23371/02F2AEB4357341E9B61178589028C7E8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-28-2007, 02:33 AM
Default RE: Want to add performance to my 2.7T. LI, NY

First, you can get new hoses at almost any auto parts store such as Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts. I would stick to OEM, they're cheaper and they do their job well.
Second, chips do make a huge difference and is definitely the best bang for the buck. Check out www.giacusa.com for their wesbite or www.awetuning.com, they are also a Giac distributor. I would also look into APR's chip. They are a well known tuning company and they make excellent products.
Third, diverter valves release excess pressure from the turbos when you let off the gas. You will need to upgrade them if you chip the car since the added boost will ruin your stock diverter valves over time. The reason they don't offer the "blow off" sound is because Audi recirculates the air back to the intake for optimum performance. If you get an intake you will hear the "pssshh" sound with any diverter valve. I would look into Forge if I were you but if you want a cheaper diverter valve with good performance ratings look into a 710-N valve. They are OEM pieces, will easily handle the boost a chip will provide and you can get them for about $30 a piece.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:34 AM

Another great way to protect your turbos is to put a better flowing exhaust system on the car especially if you get it chipped. Make sure you replace the stock downpipes with new pipes either without catalytic converters or with high flow cats. The cats cause excessive heat to build up in the turbos and this is the cause of a lot of turbo failures on these cars.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

All very good and accurate points! You will also want to go with SAMCO hoses if you chip your car, especially the TBB and the "F" hose if your car is a 2000 model year. Remember to follow proper turbo maintenance....meaning easy on start off and easy prior to engine shutdown.

OOOO

Old 03-28-2007, 12:34 PM
2nd Gear

Need a bit more info to advise you properly...

What kind of mileage do you have on that car? Have the diverter valves been checked/replaced? Have you checked the other hoses, including the F-hose?

If you're thinking about chipping, you can put 5-6k in the bank now to replace the turbos UNLESS you make sure that the engine is ready for the added stresses chipping will put on them. This includes replacing the throttle body boot (the "hose" you point to) with either a SAMCO or an APR bi-pipe. The OEM hose is not designed to take the added stresses chipping will produce so you need to upgrade that component. Ditto for the F-hose (do a search on it if you need more details on what it is/where to find it). The diverter valves also play an important role in relieving stress on the turbos during shifting. So, if they're not up to snuff, chipping will just add to the problem. Do a search on it to learn how to diagnose them to determine if they need replacing. Replace them with 710Ns (Audi OEM part) if they need it. You can spend a lot more for fancier DVs but it's not needed. Just make sure you get the 710Ns. Flip had it right here though I disagree with his comment about OEM hoses if you're going to chip.

Finally, let the "Rules of good turbo ownership" (= gentle warm up and cool down: keep the rpm under 3k until after oil temp gets over 175 and drive easily for the last few miles before you shut it down -- no need to sit in the driveway with it idling, just use common sense) become your mantra. Very important.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:17 PM

I didn't know he was talking about the bi-pipe, I'll agree that is a good place for an upgrade.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:34 PM
1st Gear

the car just hit 80k miles. so the pipe I'm pointing to is called a "bi-pipe"? so other than the bi-pipe, f-hose, and dv's, what do I have to do before I get the car chipped to make it easier on the turbos?

are all these chips $500+? how do you go about getting the car chipped, would you have to send your whole ecu to GIAC or w/e?

Old 03-28-2007, 11:24 PM
1st Gear

ok what do you guys think...

samco throttle body boot, two 710n dv's ($170)

OR

the apr bi-pipe kit that comes with two 710n dv's and bypasses the throttle body boot all together ($411)

Old 03-29-2007, 01:41 AM
2nd Gear

If you're going to chip it, go the bi-pipe route. If not, go the Samco route.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:25 AM
1st Gear

ok thanks

1 more question..

a friend of mine also a mechanic specializes in a company called "superchips".. the company's website is www.superchips.co.uk, he also has his own but I can't remember the address right now. I was talking to him about it and he said if he chipped it, it would be the same as APR or GIAC. what do youthink? I'd definately save some money going that route, btw.

Quick Reply: Want to add performance to my 2.7T. LI, NY