Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washer Bottle low reminder

Old 11-25-2004, 12:14 AM
2nd Gear
Default Washer Bottle low reminder

Is there any possible way to turn off, disable, cut out, or premanently shut up the reminder to fill the windshield washer bottle?
First off, I have to refill the damn bottle after about three uses (there's no leak). Is the bottle just really small?
Second, when the water is low, I don't want it to squawk at me anymore. I would understand if it did it right when I turned the car on, but every 10 or so minutes is pretty annoying. The little picture of water spewing out of the bottle is enough to make me want to pull over and fill the bottle up.
Thanks.

Old 11-25-2004, 12:26 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: Washer Bottle low reminder

You HAVE to have a leak, I know on the A4's the resevior is almost 2 gallons. Mine lasts for months and months, and I use it quite frequently. Inside the washer pump is a fluid level sensor, I'm sure you could cut the wire, and you may have to ground it (depends what triggers the alert on the dash).

Old 11-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Ted
1st Gear

on the a6 there is a small round sensor that gose into the side of the washer bottle that has a two wire plug on it, unplug it first and check the light, if it is still on, then stick a paper clip in each terminal on the plug. this wont hurt it, or any computers. The best way to get to it is under the fender. Its not hard to take out the lineing. Good luck

Old 11-26-2004, 04:30 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks, Ted I'll do that. I don't think I have a leak, I have checked and rechecked, and there's no water leaking/dripping from anywhere near the bottle. I usually use it at night when the lights are on, so maybe that acocunts for it.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:54 AM
1st Gear

My washer fluid light on my 2000 A6 is also constantly coming on. I don't think it is a leak b/c I have plenty of fluid...I'll have to check. Does the sensor work by just using the fluid to short the circuit? Is the suggestion to use a paperclip a way to just disable the check washer level warning?

Thanks,
mike

Old 01-12-2007, 08:06 AM
1st Gear

my mechanic said my pump leaks half the fluid out, he rigged it so it wouldn't set off the alarm.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:50 PM
2nd Gear

Return of the living post ...it turned out to be the headlight washers leaking which I fixed then they leaked again, so I just disconnected and plugged the main line leading to them since all they do is dirty up the hood.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:21 PM
3rd Gear

I had the same problem and after replacing the plumbing, ended up blocking off the feed to the headlight washer system. I did see washer fluid on my garage floor every morning.

The reservoir in my A6 2.7T takes about 5 liters of fluid. The headlight washer systemdumps out a huge amount of fluid each time you run them, far more than goes on the windshield.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:35 AM
2nd Gear

Funny post....Here in seattle it is raining and lately there is snow and dirt on road as well. My resevoir holds exactly 1 gallon after the stupid little light comes on. I use it somewhat frequently and I dont have a leak (checked everything). It really goes through the fluid. It has to be the worthless headlight washers. Go figure!

Old 01-23-2008, 12:21 PM
1st Gear

1998 A6, 2.8. Non-Quatro.
I had the same thing happen. My fluid suddenly started always running out. I figured my bottle was cracked or the there was a leak around the sensor plug.
In Cleveland now it is hard to detect a leak due to cold and wet conditions. I filled the bottle and wipped down, then looked at it an hour later and could not find the leak.

Theories:
What is odd is that this seemed to happen a day after I got my oil changed. Is it possible that in putting in the skid cowling the tech could have knocked loose a line to the headlight washer system?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Washer Bottle low reminder