Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wastegate? What is it" Where is it and how does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 02:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Wastegate? What is it" Where is it and how does it work?

From my previous post!!!

00 2.7T with GIAC X Chip, Stratmosphere Diverter Valves, Milltech Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

I was heading home in rush hour traffic maybe doing 60 MPH. All of a sudden the car started hesitating and when I hit the gas pedal the car went no where. About a second after it started the "EPC" light came on in dash board. I Pulled over immediately and started making my phone calls. I had the car in neutral and the car seemed to idle a little bit high, but it still was running, but when I hit the gas pedal in neutral, I got the same response, the engine hesitated.

After I made my calls, I went ahead and turned the car off for maybe 5 seconds. I restarted the car and things seemed to be OK. I gave it gas while the car was in neutral and the engine responded nicely. The "EPC" light went out. Seeing this I went ahead and lightly drove the car to safe place to get towed.

My mechanic has the car and is looking into it! Since I did not have an appointment, I do not know when I will have an answer.

The latest addition to my car was the GIAC X chip. I had it done about a month and a half ago. The car was incredible. It ran so well.

I also know that probably about a week prior to my yesterdays incident, the car seemed to lose some of its zip! I even mentioned this to my mechanic, but was unable to get my car in to have it looked at. I am in the process of moving but thats another story! I just KNEW the car was not 100%. Not 1 time did my "check engine" light come on through all of this including yesterday!

Am I looking at something serious? I surely could use some inout!

To the current!!

My mechanic tells me I could have a wastegate issue. He tells me under hard throttle, the boost just is not there! I do not have any boost leaks or worn out, broken hoses!

I am told a wastegate maintains boost throughout the system. What is a wastegate and where is it located! I am doing my best to learn!

Thank you for your help!

OOOO

[IMG]local://upfiles/13659/5EC4D6F55BBF4A31997EBB7E033BA786.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-14-2006, 07:18 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Wastegate? What is it" Where is it and how does it work?

Joeski,

Really got to learn to use the search button my friend. I see that you're posting the same question on multiple forums. You're probably not going to get more info, just tick more people off. You got some good answers at AudiWorld (hint: when posting a reply there, it's proper etiquette on that forum to put unique text in EACH reply you post - particularly if your whole reply will fit into the subject line), so use that as a basis for searching out more info.

Stoney's links are a GREAT source of information -- including a TON of info on turbos. There's an article up there called Turbo 101 (or something like that) that give you a full walkthrough on how turbocharged engines work. Given that you've chipped yours, it would be a GREAT idea for you to know more about your engine. We're here to help you but you need to do your part and do some searching.

Good luck. I hope the problems come back minor.

One last question... You DO know about the rules of good turbo ownership, right?

Old 08-15-2006, 01:41 PM
1st Gear

It funny that you would have to explain yourself in a response. I think its f**kin crazy. I perfromed a search but was a little unsure about what I was reading. I am trying to find legitimate information just like everyone else that uses this forum. This info I find makes me wiser and I appreciate everyones feedback. If my post pisses someone off, guess what, its not my problem if someone wants to cop a f**kin attitude! Do you actually think that getting someone upset is my intention. It is no different for me when I am on Audi World.

I try, no matter what, to help anyone on these forums, if I can provide valuable information. I do that because I can only hope to get the same in return!

As far as you "turbo" question, what are the rules for proper turbo ownership?

OOOO

Old 08-15-2006, 02:18 PM

welcome joeski - from what I know , I think proper caring is - Having proper cooldown and warmup. After driving the car , let it sit for like 5 mins so the turbo can cool down then shut it off. Proper cooldown. Before you drive the car when just starting it , ether let it sit for a few mins or just drive it very soft and dont get on it , let the turbo warm up before any crazy driving..

thats what I know , correct me if I didnt mention anything or if im wrong.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

Thank you for your information! It is sincerely appreciated!

Old 08-15-2006, 02:29 PM

anytime my fellow AF member!!!! nice ski , are you polish? POLISH POWER!

Old 08-15-2006, 02:34 PM
2nd Gear

Joeski,

Certainly did not mean to set you off. Just trying to point out that you've got a lot of posting going on when some searching will help you do the learning necessary to enjoy your car. I get routinely emails from people thanking me for my assistance so I don't think I can be pegged as a harda$$ on this issue.

You're certainly entitled to do whatever you want. You should note, however, that the people who can provide the MOST information on these forums (i.e., the really knowledgable ones) are the ones that have been around a while. As such, they KNOW how much information is already contained within the forum archives -- they are the ones who probably put it there. It is only being courteous and respectful of their time and contributions to do a search before posting a question. This is BASIC forum courtesy.

As far as posting the same question on different forums... Again, the most knowledgable people are probably on multiple forums and it feels a bit spammy when the same question appears all over the place. Giving your post in one place a chance before repeat posting would, again, be the courteous thing to do.

All this is said to you in the spirit of "Here's a few tips on how you might get better responses." You are, of course, free to ignore this.

Good luck. I sincerly hope your car comes out OK. Replacing a couple of turbos at this early stage would be a bummer.

Sboro.

P.S. A search revealed the following on "Rules of good turbo ownership"... Gentle warm up (keep it under 3k RPM) until the engine has reached 175 degrees. Than you can get on it. Gentle cool down for the last few miles before you get to your destination. This does NOT mean you need to sit in your driveway idling the car; just that you have to start/end sensibly.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:37 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: zat0rsk1

After driving the car , let it sit for like 5 mins so the turbo can cool down then shut it off. Proper cooldown. Before you drive the car when just starting it , ether let it sit for a few mins or just drive it very soft and dont get on it , let the turbo warm up before any crazy driving..
As I note in my reply to Joeski, you really don't need to let the car sit. Just start out easy and finish off easy. Keeping the car out of boost range until the oil is warmed up is the "warmup" part that is important. Letting the car cool down (easy driving will actually do this better than letting it just sit there because of the benefits of air flow for the oil cooler & radiator) for the last few miles will also eliminate the need to let it idle before turning off.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:55 PM
1st Gear

IN RESPONSE TO zat0rsk1. INDEED I AM POLISH AS WELL AS ITALIAN. I WAS BLESSED TO HAVE RELATIVES THAT MIGRATED FROM 2 GREAT COUNTRIES! PLUS, HOW CAN YOU GO WRONG, BOTH COUNTRIES PROVIDE US WITH GREAT FOOD AND DRINK!

SOUTHBORO......NO HARM AND NO FOUL. MY CAR HAS ME IN A UNIQUE POSITION. I HAVE OWNED SINCE IT WAS A YEAR OLD AND THIS CAR GAS BEEN UNBELIEVABLE FOR ME.

I AM CRUSHED TO KNOW THAT I MAY HAVE TO POSSIBLY REPLACE TURBOS. I HAVE PUT SO MUCH TIME, EFFORT AND INCOME INTO THIS CAR, AS I AM SURE WE ALL HAVE OR ELSE WE WOULDN'T BE HERE.

MY MECHANIC HAS TOLD ME TO NOT THROW THE TOWEL JUST YET. THEY ARE GOING OVER IT WITH A FINE TOOTH COMB.

I POSTED THE SAME ON AUDI WORLD OUT OF DESPERATION I GUESS. I WANT MY CAR IN MY DRIVEWAY, NOT ON A RACK!

BUT IT IS ALL GOOD WITH ME!

OOOO

Old 08-15-2006, 03:19 PM

hey dude lol I swear i aint lien when i say this. I am italian and polish. like 70% italian and 30% polish. funny you said that too.
Polish kabalska and Italian quizine are sweet. aint nothing better then some kabaski ( i dont know how to spell cabasi ) . Gotta love the pasta!!!!

hey southboro - thanx alot for the tips , i appreciate it. my knowledge base in my brain has beefed up a bit. =)

Quick Reply: Wastegate? What is it" Where is it and how does it work?