Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Default Water pump replacement

I'm thinking about taking on this job. The dealer just quoted $1750 to do the work, plus replace the timing belt.

I'm a complete noob to working on this car. I understand that it's best to do the TB at the same time. If you were in my shoes (i.e., no money since 4 of my 5 kids are in college ) how would you tackle the work. I've read that a good parts supplier is BLAUparts and it would probably be a good idea to get a Bentley manual. How much time should I estimate for the job?

Any and all step-by-step advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:57 AM
3rd Gear

It would help to specify what trim/engine/year car you have, so that folks around can give you A-rated advice for that particular model. Otherwise you may get B-rated BS advice from people such as myself who drive a C4 non-turbo, non-quattro...

Old 09-11-2009, 02:57 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
... Otherwise you may get B-rated BS advice from people such as myself who drive a C4 non-turbo, non-quattro...
Don't stress it THAT much... your advice is worth every penny they paid for it! The reader need to evaluate the advice to see the worth for thier own car. As long as you do not TRY and give BS advice, keep posting.

Spindrift,

There are many things that will effect the time it takes to do work on this (or any car) how much experiance the mechanic has (in general and on the specific item), how much time is put in each day, what type of facilities and tools you have. Ect. ect..

I think a good mechanic could do a TB in a day or so. It would take me a month or more!

But the more specific you question (ie year engine model ect.) the better the advice.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:43 AM
2nd Gear

4 out of 5 in college! WOW, I'm stressing over my first going and my second is 6 years younger.

Research your engine type at www.blauparts.com
Use their kit because if you purchase through them you can rent the special Audi tools as well. That will save $$$.
They come with instructions. However I would suggest purchasing a Bentley DVD-ROM from www.ecstuning.com Trust me you'll need it for other things.
You can purchase the other tools you need cheap on line through harborfrieght or northern tool (except for ratchets-go to sears or Home depot).

As soon as you tell us your engine model you have someone will be able to help you out.
It's not that bad if you can read before you do the work.

You know what they say reading is fundamental

As far as the parts go

Timing belt
Rollers and Tensioner
Water pump and Thermostat
Serpentine belt
Coolant
Silly Foamy $10 Vibe mount POS on the front if you have one.
Upper and Lower cooling lines-at least

Vacuum lines-as soon as you push them they'll break on you. go to www.ecstuning they have the braided oem lines

Old 09-11-2009, 12:01 PM
1st Gear
Default timing belt

just did my belt 2.7t your looking about 10 hours to complete the job, there are several diys on this subject, if you buy from blauparts instructions are included and i did mine with out the speacial tools but this depends on if your front cam seals are leaking, if there leaking you will need the cam lock bar. it is not as hard as you think the lock carrier and front bumper are not that hard to remove, mark your positions of camshaft, crankshaft with a scribe and you should have no trouble. one hint when installing the new belt you need a little help you will have to rotate your cams a little to get the belt started on then rotate it back, also it is easy to get the belt on the tensioner pulley if you leave it loose and tighten the pulley once you have i on. very important to set dampener with a torque wrench to apply proper tension. i have been very happy with blauparts they send extra bolts, free oil filter, and still have 2 liters of antifreeze left over,

Old 09-11-2009, 12:58 PM
3rd Gear

Problem #1 - You talked to the dealer - An expensive indy shop would have quoted something more in the range of $1200 maybe $1500 for a TB change with all the other stuff that you should do at that time (part is listed by jack) - including the wp, while a really good guy might quote $1000 to $1200. Some of us get lucky and can get it done for $600 to $1000 by purchasing the parts from Blauparts and having an indy do the work. You can probably DIY for $400 -$500 including special tools.

Problem #2 - you did't tell us which year and motor you have. It makes a difference as to how much work it requires.

Problem #3 - 4 out of 5 kids in college AND you own an Audi -- You have to be outa your mind!

Problem #4 - chefro thinks he gives B rated advice but I would say it is closer to A-

Problem #5 - we don't know what kind of autorepair experience you have or if you have the basic tools.

Problem #6 - it can be done in about a half day 4-5 hours if you know what your doing and don't have any interuptions but working at home usually takes twice as long because of the interuptions from the wife, kids, dog, and girlfriend. (If the wife and girlfriend interupt at the same time you won't have to worry about finishing the job because one will kill you.)

Problem #7 - Refer to problem #3 - You actually read this far so you have to be WAY FAR outta your mind!

Last edited by NH_USA; 09-11-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

I have a 98 A6 2.8q from the salty road of MI and i just did mine using the blau kit w/ rented tools no problem. takes alot of tools but it is pretty easy and only cost me about 412 after rented blau tools were returned.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:08 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA
Problem #4 - chefro thinks he gives B rated advice but I would say it is closer to A-
Well, on the last tank I got 24.9 MPG (5 days round-trip, 72 mph on cruise; and one day driving 80-85 mph, as I was late) so there's at least something close to A- in all that engine work I have done, which should at least "entitle" me to offer my experience concerning it (I'll stay away from saying "give advice"), just like anyone else.

Thanks, NH.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:57 PM

Sorry fellas. If you need more info, please let me know.

As far as the kids go...yeah, I'm crazy. Married a beautiful girl with 2 of her own. We're contemplating selling one or two to help pay off the Audi. As far as mechanical experience goes, I think I'm o.k. there. I do all of my own work on my '04 6.0L Powerstroke. But then again, I can climb into that engine compartment and see just about everything I'm working on.

Thanks, much.

Last edited by spindrift; 09-12-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:33 PM

Does the 2.8L change anything?

Quick Reply: Water pump replacement