Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:23 AM
1st Gear
Default Weird electrical problem

I started my 2001 A6 2.7T last night and some weird electrical things are happening. I re-started several times with no change.

Dash indicator says 3 of the 4 doors are open (not the drivers). All are shut.
Power windows do not work.
Moon roof does not work.
Power locks do not work.

Seemed to drive ok and the lights all worked. Did not have time to evaluate much further.

Any clues anyone?

Dan

Old 05-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Weird electrical problem

On that year model its probably your central locking control module.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:03 PM
1st Gear

Sounds expensive$$ Any way to diagnose it? If I can find it.

Dan

Old 05-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Site Moderator

Its in a black box directly below your driver's seat, the only way to check it would to perform an output test with a factory scanner, but the major problem with these is water gets inside them from water leaks.
Remove the driver's seat and pull up the carpet and check to see if any water/corrosion is in the connector/module. To remove the seat look under the front of the seat and you will see a black cover in the center, pull that off and there will be two 13mm bolts, remove those and pull the seat backwards off the track.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:01 PM
1st Gear

It's a fuse 14 issue. There's a short somewhere in one of the systems associated with the central locking control module. There are lots of potential causes. Have you done any work on the car lately? Can you isolate what is happening when the fuse blows? In my case, it was a wire in the seat. I've read of many people with the same thing. Hopefully, that's the case for you. Click the link for something very quick and simple you can try.

http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/534147.phtml

Old 05-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah i almost forgot about that issue, definately check that before replacing the central locking control module.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:43 PM
1st Gear

You nailed it! Fuse 14 was blown.Not obvious without close inspection. Of course by the timeI found the post I had the seat out. But I was able to vacuum out all that stuff that'simpossible to getat and found 35 cents to boot. I put the seat back in and replaced the fuse. Everything works.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Dan

Old 05-13-2007, 09:34 PM
1st Gear

You'll still need to find out what caused the fuse to blow. In my case it was wiring in the seat to the rear footwell light. Did you pull the connector for that light? May not be the cause in your case, but very quick and easy to try. You may also want to have a few spare 10 amp fuses available until you can isolate the cause.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

I actually left that wire unplugged when re-installing the seat.Drove it yesterday and everythings fine. Will re-connect it after I pick up some spare fuses and see what happens. Hopefully it was just the fuse. They do die occasionally. If the problem returns I'll have to come up with a schematic.

Thanks again for the help.

Dan

Old 05-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Site Moderator

There is actually a TSB on the fuse 14 issue, it has something to do with the driver's seat, it you remove the back panel of the seat i think you will find that the insulation on one of the wires will be rubbed through and causing a short on the seat frame. Take it to audi or you can try and tape it up yourself.

Quick Reply: Weird electrical problem