AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   What are the best brake pads that have the least amount of dust? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/what-best-brake-pads-have-least-amount-dust-130681/)

Jackmup 04-24-2009 10:39 AM

What are the best brake pads that have the least amount of dust?

Both my cars came with new front pads and I have no idea who manufactured them. My A6 is throwing out some serious dust and my driveway looks like crap they are also noisey when I brake. Who makes brake pads that minimize dust? Is it too much to ask for quiet pads? Do I have to go to $eramic?
BTW-The noise is the pads clamping the rotors not a mechanical problem.

wammy18 04-24-2009 11:12 AM

I use HPS pads and brake hard commonly. I noticed very little sound if any from the pads so far and currently am on my second set. I got these for the car all the way around because of the performance but I would have to say I haven't had noise problems for a year now.

madridlover 04-24-2009 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jackmup (Post 1077640)
Both my cars came with new front pads and I have no idea who manufactured them. My A6 is throwing out some serious dust and my driveway looks like crap they are also noisey when I brake. Who makes brake pads that minimize dust? Is it too much to ask for quiet pads? Do I have to go to $eramic?
BTW-The noise is the pads clamping the rotors not a mechanical problem.

do your current pads have brake pad shims on them?

I installed Akebonos which are excellent at keeping the dust to a minimum but mine are squealing too...I can't remember but I think I installed them without the shims.

ppgoal 04-24-2009 11:44 AM

My indie shop has always given me good advice - they put in Centrex pads when I had the brakes done 35k miles ago. Dust is low and braking fine. Caveat is that I don't use the brakes hard and do mostly highway driving.

madridlover 04-24-2009 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by ppgoal (Post 1077664)
My indie shop has always given me good advice - they put in Centrex pads when I had the brakes done 35k miles ago. Dust is low and braking fine. Caveat is that I don't use the brakes hard and do mostly highway driving.

I can't find them online. How much are they?

madridlover 04-24-2009 11:49 AM

I found them. They're spelled Centric. :)

madridlover 04-24-2009 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by ppgoal (Post 1077664)

so are they no good for city driving?

rawritspawel 04-25-2009 12:43 PM

brembo is the way to go :D

chefro 04-25-2009 12:53 PM

Is just like with Eggland's best... who has the money to advertise appears to have the "better" product.

Jackmup 04-25-2009 09:29 PM

Ok so HPS, Akebobos,Centric and Egglands Best. I'll look into them. As for brake squeal my rears all had the shim but the fronts are all missing I am ordering more because I like to put the anti squeal between the shim and the pad. But I load it up anyhow and that does the trick. Thanks-Omelets anyone