Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the best brake pads that have the least amount of dust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:39 AM
2nd Gear
Default What are the best brake pads that have the least amount of dust?

Both my cars came with new front pads and I have no idea who manufactured them. My A6 is throwing out some serious dust and my driveway looks like crap they are also noisey when I brake. Who makes brake pads that minimize dust? Is it too much to ask for quiet pads? Do I have to go to $eramic?
BTW-The noise is the pads clamping the rotors not a mechanical problem.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 AM
2nd Gear

I use HPS pads and brake hard commonly. I noticed very little sound if any from the pads so far and currently am on my second set. I got these for the car all the way around because of the performance but I would have to say I haven't had noise problems for a year now.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jackmup
Both my cars came with new front pads and I have no idea who manufactured them. My A6 is throwing out some serious dust and my driveway looks like crap they are also noisey when I brake. Who makes brake pads that minimize dust? Is it too much to ask for quiet pads? Do I have to go to $eramic?
BTW-The noise is the pads clamping the rotors not a mechanical problem.
do your current pads have brake pad shims on them?

I installed Akebonos which are excellent at keeping the dust to a minimum but mine are squealing too...I can't remember but I think I installed them without the shims.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:44 AM
3rd Gear

My indie shop has always given me good advice - they put in Centrex pads when I had the brakes done 35k miles ago. Dust is low and braking fine. Caveat is that I don't use the brakes hard and do mostly highway driving.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
My indie shop has always given me good advice - they put in Centrex pads when I had the brakes done 35k miles ago. Dust is low and braking fine. Caveat is that I don't use the brakes hard and do mostly highway driving.
I can't find them online. How much are they?

Old 04-24-2009, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

I found them. They're spelled Centric.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
so are they no good for city driving?

Old 04-25-2009, 12:43 PM

brembo is the way to go

Old 04-25-2009, 12:53 PM
3rd Gear

Is just like with Eggland's best... who has the money to advertise appears to have the "better" product.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:29 PM
2nd Gear

Ok so HPS, Akebobos,Centric and Egglands Best. I'll look into them. As for brake squeal my rears all had the shim but the fronts are all missing I am ordering more because I like to put the anti squeal between the shim and the pad. But I load it up anyhow and that does the trick. Thanks-Omelets anyone

Quick Reply: What are the best brake pads that have the least amount of dust?