Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is Causing This Jerking After the Shift on Gentle Acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 11:35 PM
1st Gear
Default What is Causing This Jerking After the Shift on Gentle Acceleration?

As I shift into 2,3,4th and gently accelerate there is what feels like a hesitation. But it does not seem to be fuel related, i.e., car does not miss and runs smooth otherwise. It almost feels like motor mounts or some kind of mounts like the engine or tranny "bumps around." It is the same feel after each shift and gentle acceleration, "bump...bump/bump." Because it is a distinct feel after each shift I can only guess as to what it might be. I had the clutch replaced in June and I thought I noticed it slightly before that but the mechanic could not duplicate it. Tonight I tried to do what makes it happen and it was consistent and noticeable. If you just got in the car and got on it or drove a bit aggressively you might not even notice it at all. I know this is hard to diagnose but any ideas I can inspect for would be great before having to subject it to a mechanic. Thanks!

Old 09-18-2013, 08:55 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2013 A6 with only 7000 mi. At low speeds it's the roughest shifting automatic transmission that I've ever owned. When entering a highway, it hesitates, then snaps your head back. I've been told that it's typical for the car. I've also been told that at 1600 rpm, the turbo engages and contributes to the "jerky" acceleration.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

For a high end vehicle and German engineering that just should not be the case in a new car today. I would think shifting and boost should be seamless. Something ain't right, I'd say.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:26 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by aminklein
I have a 2013 A6 with only 7000 mi. At low speeds it's the roughest shifting automatic transmission that I've ever owned. When entering a highway, it hesitates, then snaps your head back. I've been told that it's typical for the car. I've also been told that at 1600 rpm, the turbo engages and contributes to the "jerky" acceleration.
For 2013 A6, there is a TSB 37-13-84 or 2029305/9 to address the rough upshift/downshift issue.

HTH

Old 09-20-2013, 09:31 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 13a6c7
For 2013 A6, there is a TSB 37-13-84 or 2029305/9 to address the rough upshift/downshift issue.

HTH
That's great news. I hope that it will take care of this problem. This problem with acceleration/shifting at low speeds, and a persistant problem with break "groaning" has been really bothering me since I bought the car in March. I just hope that the service bulletin applies to the 2.0 engine. Thanks

Old 09-21-2013, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

Noticed today it will sometimes have that hesitation letting off the gas right after shifting...but also when slightly on gas with a little bit of lug. Transmission feels strong and tight. Clutch is new. Timing belt has been changed. I have thrown a banks2 O2 sensor code on occasion. Fuel injectors maybe? Spark plugs? Vacuum leak? Motor mounts? What a pain to diagnose. I also replace the fuel filter not too long ago.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

My local dealer today told me that there have been several Service Bulletins for the "jerky" transmission performance, the latest being in August 2013. I have my appointment for the fix and I'm really hopeful. The performance for my A6 over the past several months has been disappointing, to say the least. Aside from this problem and several other minor ones, it's a great car. Audi A6 Quatro, 2.0T

Old 09-21-2013, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

What kind of quick fix could there possibly be for a transmission issue? My car is 13 years old so I don't know that I'd be the object of a service bulletin, eh?

Old 09-22-2013, 11:08 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by NICKV
What kind of quick fix could there possibly be for a transmission issue? My car is 13 years old so I don't know that I'd be the object of a service bulletin, eh?
My car is doing the same thing. Check your tranny mounts and other drivetrain related stuff. also could possibly be a bad snub mount.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

Anyone know how to check the tranny mounts? Are they visual? Snub mount? Thanks!

Quick Reply: What is Causing This Jerking After the Shift on Gentle Acceleration?