Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do you think about this Audi?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 04:10 PM
1st Gear
Default what do you think about this Audi?

Hey guys im looking at an 01 4.2 here is the link http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...367447046.html

doest this seem like a fair deal...i talked to the dealer on the phone and he said the price is none negotiable. what to you think? im contemplating buying it tomorrow. THX

Old 05-09-2011, 05:11 PM
3rd Gear

If you can get service records and an independent inspection, it may be a good deal. The 4.2 is very durable and will run forever. But you need to get drivetrain, esp the tranny, checked out. Test every accessory, moving part, button, seat heaters, a/c and heater, etc and make sure it works. After 10 years there will be some broken stuff, reflected in the price, but you may be able to negotiate further down.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:52 PM
2nd Gear

I Agree with ppgoal this is not a bad deal if everything is in working condition and the tranny is fine.
I bought the 2002 4.2 and I'm loving it. I had to replace a ton of stuff but it was worth every penny so far. Known issues are (considering age):
- coil packs
- windows not rolling up all the way without a little push
- lumbar support
- fading dashboard lights
- leaking oil pan gasket
- ESP control module (usually needs to be rebuild somewhere around this milage)
- leaking coolant from reservoir
- vacuum lines cracking
- possible secondary air pump failing

This is just what I had to deal with or found multiple reports about on forums. Most of this is really not that bad and might not even be worth mentioning for the 2001 4.2

Old 05-09-2011, 08:48 PM
3rd Gear

Unless I missed it, did they mention if the timing belt was changed? At 122k I would assume it had been done, but you never know. And at what mileage was is replaced. Also consider the 4.2's tranny is not that reliable, the 4.2 engine is reliable, just not so much for the tranny. I see the car is local to me (MPLS), go to Carousel Audi and Maplewood Audi with the VIN # and see if they can pull up any service records. Also check out German Auto Werks in St. Louis Park and see if there are any records there.

If you want a pre-purchase inspection, call Ktan @ Imola MotorSports http://www.imolamotorsports.com/_root/ Ktan is a frequent forum contributor over at MNAudi.com and so are all his techs. He knows Audi's inside and out, for better or worse.

Personally, I think the price is a little too high unless it is in 100% mechanical condition, A6's are kinda a dime a dozen in MN. Although my 2.8 avant is less desirable to some, I paid 9k 5 or 6 years ago for my A6 with 114k. But maybe I'm just jealous of the 4.2. Although I would never give up my wagon.

Check out their other cars, although in my opinion they are all overpriced for MN, but it's a dealer. I think you'd like a wagon more, that '04 Allroad 4.2 is pretty hot and about 3k overpriced, but that's what negotiating is for.

http://www.autoacu.com/used-audi-a4-...eapolis-mn.htm

Last edited by Jeffla; 05-09-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:38 AM
1st Gear

Thank you all so much for your answers. Yeah the dealer said the TB had been changed but i will try and find out when exactly.
i do think the cars are overpriced but i really want a 4.2 and finding them is hard in my part of MN. so i just rely on craigslist and carsoup ads. Im going to the cities and im going to search other dealers for a better priced 4.2......if i dont get this guy to lower his price.
And thanks for the info for ktan, i was worried about who to contact for an inspection and you just saved me the worry.

Also should i be too worried about the milage? i have never owned a car with over 100000 miles before and this has 122k. if i can get him down to 7500 would that be a fairer deal? its just that its hard finding 4.2's so i dont mind getting this if i dont feel i am getting ripped off. thx guys.