Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the heck is this sound....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 12:47 AM
1st Gear
Default What the heck is this sound....

This is gonna be tough because in order to get the mechanic to find and fix it - I have to (of course) have the problem replicate itself. Only thing is - it happens only in pretty cold weather which isn't usual for Texas - but I would love to have the problem fixed before I dirve it north next week. Ok here goes...

After some pretty cold weather (25 degrees) I was driving my A6 and I hear what sounded like a cell phone ringing - or a cricket chirping sound coming from the area in front of the passenger. It seemed at first to be connected with the fans because at a higher fan speed it would sound but not at a lower speed. Then it would do it when I would hit small seams on the highway (in blips corresponding with the road) then it did it while turning to the wheel to the right.

Now, it won't do it because, well, it's warmer. It replicated itself again when it was cooler two days later. Any thoughts - I am taking it to the shop on Tuesday.

Thanks!

Old 12-12-2005, 03:33 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: What the heck is this sound....

Hey,

I just bought a 2.7T, but I haven't had the same problem with it... I DID however have a similar problem on my RX300. In my case the noise came from a faulty head unit of my sound system (which by the way, was only faulty at making that noise) - it never developed into a bigger problem and never really bothered me until my ex-wife broke the unit by pouring some nice hot coffee on it and we had to replace it. Once replaced, never happened again.
BTW did how old was your audi when it started making that noise?

Old 12-12-2005, 11:32 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: twinblowersonice

Hey,

I just bought a 2.7T, but I haven't had the same problem with it... I DID however have a similar problem on my RX300. In my case the noise came from a faulty head unit of my sound system (which by the way, was only faulty at making that noise) - it never developed into a bigger problem and never really bothered me until my ex-wife broke the unit by pouring some nice hot coffee on it and we had to replace it. Once replaced, never happened again.
BTW did how old was your audi when it started making that noise?

Interesting....it does sound more like electrical sounds (digtial) vs. mechanical (analog) The car had 49,000 miles on it - I just bought it from the dealer. N.B. The radio did do something weird about 3 weeks ago where it would change radio stations every 2-4 seconds it only did that for about 15 miles or so - but then never happened again.

Did you have the same symptoms as mine (cold weather, bumps etc...)?

the RX300 is that a lexus?

Do both cars share the same radio unit?

Old 12-13-2005, 01:40 AM
3rd Gear

I have a 2001 A6 4.2 and I have the same type of noise but I think mine is coming from the vent in front of the passenger seat. I have no idea how to fix mine but it is really annoying. Only happens when I have the heat on, which is every minute these days. Good luck finding the problem...

Old 12-13-2005, 02:06 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cary12

I have a 2001 A6 4.2 and I have the same type of noise but I think mine is coming from the vent in front of the passenger seat. I have no idea how to fix mine but it is really annoying. Only happens when I have the heat on, which is every minute these days. Good luck finding the problem...
That is where the sound on mine is coming from. Does it ever seem to correlate with bumps on the road or turning the wheel to right? I was going to take it to the shop - but I only noticed it during the cold - which doesn't happen that often here in Texas so I am afraid that I won't be able to replicate it.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:46 AM
3rd Gear

I'm pretty sure mine is coming from the vent. It only happens when the heat or air is turned on.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:11 AM
1st Gear

no, RX300 is a different system. and the symptoms were there no matter what the weather was... but it WAS the radio. as far as the radio changing stations - I had that problem on my other audi - I had a European Navigation there and it wouldn't catch any stations at all... But do check out the radio, your dealer may be able to change it for you under some kind of warranty, so it won't cost you anything...

Old 12-13-2005, 07:31 PM
1st Gear

it's your heater blower..

Old 12-13-2005, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: rowingdude

it's your heater blower..

Really? Have you experienced this? What were your symptoms?

Old 12-21-2005, 12:04 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2000 Audi A4 2.8 and I have the same thing.....it's around 10 degrees here in Chicago. I noticed this sound when I made a right turn going around 15-20mph.....but it also happens when I go higher.......it's like a squeeking noise, and this has only happened in the winter.....never in summer.....well idk what the problem is.......but I hope it goes away magically LoL

Quick Reply: What the heck is this sound....