Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats up with the 2.7t

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 12:43 AM
2nd Gear
Lightbulb whats up with the 2.7t

As some of you may know my significant other is constantly having problems with his B5 1.8t

He has since taken interest in a new a6 with the 2.7 engine.

Anyone have any opinions on theirs? or heard of any life altering experiences about someone elses?

at this point I really would like to get him in another b5 like mine but I wont rule out the 2.7 till someone can help educate me on it a little more

thanks!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:43 AM
2nd Gear

There is a sticky at the top of the list.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:44 AM
2nd Gear

I was hoping for more personal opinions ... but thank you

Old 12-02-2010, 08:53 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Personally, with mine

Its a serious love/hate/fear relationship

I love it when its not broke, I hate it when it is broke, I fear the next thing on it that breaks.

bottom line is that its an Audi and does all the other things that all the other Audis seem to do.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:02 AM
3rd Gear

I bought mine 5 years ago used with 37k miles. It just turned 181k. It has been a great driving car, one of the best I ever owned. I love the fact that it is a full size family car, but sporty and fast with a stick. I chipped it and that improved the performance dramatically, but also may have led to premature clutch failure (the first big expense about 100k ago). Other than that it has been very reliable, but I treat it gently and do more than the required maintenance. My second big expense is coming this week as I have to replace all rotors, pads, and e-brake cables (about $1300). I am no longer a DIYer, but use a good indie shop. Only other problems were a failed alternator and one front control arm. Contrary to other complaints, I still have original battery, shocks, exhaust, etc. I am occasionally plagues by electrical gremlins like a bogus CEL when I use 10% ethanol and an bad headlight adjustment sensor, but I think that is to be expected after 7 years and many miles. If you decide to buy a 2.7T, have it checked out real well and be prepared to spend some money on repairs, but you know that because you already have an Audi. PS-If I ever had to replace my A6, I would probably go with the smaller A4 (I bought a 2003 A4 3.0 MT6 for my daugher, and like that car also).

Old 12-02-2010, 12:16 PM
2nd Gear

I went from a 2.8 a4 to the 2.7t a6, couldn't be happier. Would have gone S4, but the a4 was to small for me so the S4 probably would have been too small too. I also like the a6 styling more.

Great car, gets lots of compliments, but colorado's bad gas means I almost always have a CEL for no reason. I enjoy it dead stock, I do plan on upgrading the suspension... it tends to wallow on mountain passes.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:36 PM
1st Gear

02A6Beau pretty much summed it up. If you go through the sticky for the new 2.7T owner, you'll know what to expect. I think I've experienced many of the issues and I've only owned the car for about 1.5 years. Thankfully, many of the items were done prior to me buying the car, TB, WP, brakes all around, control arm. Shortly after purchasing, I did all the typical seals, valve cover/cam tensioner etc, replaced diverter valves and y pipe, and I also had the torque converter rebuilt. Also just replaced all the injector o-rings as some were leaking at the intake manifold, and another was spraying fuel over the engine when it was cold.

All that said, I really enjoy the car. I would like to have something more fuel efficient and with fewer problems, but I am hooked. I live in Canada so the winters can get quite bad, yet with winter tires, you can still drive the **** outta this thing!

Old 12-02-2010, 01:20 PM
2nd Gear

I am personally pushing for him to move from his current a4 to a vw. We just happened to find this car and as stated I did look through the sticky im not "N00b" to this forum so i can navigate it fairly well.

thanks for the opinions I think we will continue looking
financially another audi isnt practical if i keep mine as well. He is a recent civilian and just returning to the work force after 5-6 years in the army.

the more practical and reliable the better. if anyone sees anything local ny,ct,nj,de,pa, or md please let me know

Old 12-03-2010, 08:12 AM
3rd Gear

They have a nice 2004 Passat Wagon 4Motion AWD at Force5 - close to $ 9k.

Also, there's a nice 1999.5 A4 Avant - with Manual! for $ 6.2k

http://www.force5auto.com/usedcars.htm

Old 12-03-2010, 10:22 AM
3rd Gear

If you're not a NOOB and have read the stickies, then you know "practical and reliable" does not apply to used Audis and the VW family is no better. Look for a used Accord or Civic -- not much fun, but p&r.

Quick Reply: whats up with the 2.7t