Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's it worth - '98 A6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:39 PM
1st Gear
Question what's it worth - '98 A6?

1998 A6 Quattro - silver
2.8l 30v
auto
leather (charcoal)
200k miles on body - 97k on motor (from 2003 VW)

body and interior are both clean and in really good shape. the wheels are curbed/rashed, not in as good of shape as the rest of the body.

new ignition switch, tb, wp, seals, outer cv joint on driver side, brake pads/rotors on all four, spark plugs, fuel filter - all within past year.

needs - outer cv on pass side (have it, just need to do it)

Name:  Copyof100_2618.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  143.5 KB

Old 10-12-2009, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

I don't know if this will help much as I'm new to the US and don't have much of a feel for used car values, but I just bought a '98 A6 Quattro in a private sale in Minnesota.

It's the same model - 2.8 V6 30v with 176K miles on it. Near perfect body, decent wheels, almost new tyres, fairly clean leather interior. Fully loaded. Everything works. I paid 3250.

All the used car dealers I looked at were looking for 4500-5000 for similar or lesser cars, and I talked to a few who had no interest in negotiating on the price - basically told me to look elsewhere.

Now, the previous owner didn't know when the timing belt was last done, he thinks the brakes will wear out soon, and it has the notorious Audi oil leak from the valve cover. All of that could add up to another 2000 dollars.

Hope that gives you an idea of what's out there. Maybe someone with more experience in used Audis will give you a better estimate.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:53 PM
3rd Gear

I'll go with 4500-5500.00

Old 10-13-2009, 04:01 PM
3rd Gear

jeffla shame on you That is way toooooo much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a penny over $2500 - period.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:46 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA

but, but, but if his 98 with 190K is worth 4500-5500 then my 00 with 155k must be worth 9k right. It just must be worth that

Oh gosh our cars depreciate fast

Old 10-13-2009, 07:28 PM

Without the safety and emmisions tests it would be worth only $357.37. Also, never buy a car without a test drive and an inspection. There is no point in investing thousands in a rusted out junkyard special.
The car could have a cracked engine block or worse.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:46 AM
1st Gear

Still, don't forget that anything is worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay for it - no more and no less (cracked engine blocks aside). When I was looking for my car recently, I looked at all these old cars with high mileage that were being offered for 4-5K and thought "Surely they're not worth that much?" When I talked to the dealers, they wouldn't move much on the price. So it boiled down to: what was I willing to pay to get one? These dealers were betting that someone out there is willing to pay 4.5K for a 98 A6. If they're right, then that's what it's worth. I wasn't willing to pay that - but when the chance to buy one for a little over 3K came up, I snapped it up because I didn't believe I could do any better. So that's what that car was worth.

Of course, I don't mean to undermine the other guy's advice - all of my "logic" here was based on me being satisfied that the cars were in good condition.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:51 PM
3rd Gear

divil - Spend what you want! LOL but a 98 A6 with 200K (97K on the motor) is not worth very much. The age and milage on the body are big items - electrical, emission, and drive train problems will soon show up. Add the fact that many of the wires, hoses, etc. were moved around when the motor was replaced and you have a recipe for disaster.

Then there is the cost of a timing belt with all the things that need to be done at the same time and the known CV problem that could approace $2K. $2500 is the high end of what it is worth. He might get lucky but the odds are against him.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA

I'm shocked anyone said anything over $3k, lol!

Old 10-14-2009, 08:16 PM
3rd Gear

I'm no expert in old Audis pricing, but I totally am with NH on this one, especially since the car has a 30V engine (ask Auditech and Jackmup about it ).

Unless the car was religiously serviced at an Audi dealer (the characteristics of this particular car point otherwise) and it runs like a Swiss watch (no leaks of any kind, no noises, immaculate transmission, all electric stuff working as it should) I wouldn't buy it for more than $ 2500.
As a matter of fact, I wouldn't buy again an aged Audi, older than 5-6 years.
Since December I put more than $ 2500 in the POS C4 I purchased. Excluding the brakes, I have replaced everything mentioned by the OP and more (all work done by myself with a little help and pointers from a mechanic friend).
The sad thing is that I still have stuff to replace...
Some of these A6s may age as good wine does, but definitely not the C4s. This C5 in question may be different, but when all is said and done, a 200,000 miles car remains exactly what it is... a car you expect to start replacing crap on it at any given time.

Whitey, did you inspect its struts all around? Moreover, if you cannot fix that front bumper gap, then it'll turn into another potential costly item to replace.

Quick Reply: what's it worth - '98 A6?