Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Wobbles between 55 and 60 WHY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

Hi guys. couple of things I should have said in the initial post. I am running on standard rims I think 16, but don't know off hand. I am not sure the tiers are out of round as they are new tiers (have been on for around 3-5K miles) and the problem persists even after a tire rotation.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

Were the tires road forced balanced? Road force balance is a must with an Audi. Are the tires a name brand tire, or cheap tires? As someone said earlier, warped brake rotors could also cause the wheel to shake but it would be obvious when applying the brakes, the car would shudder pretty bad. If not, then its the tires or wheels, I just took off a set from my 2005 that shook because the belts broke down in the tire and it showed no signs of out of round or wobble upon rotation. Installed a new set of name brand tires and it's as smooth as silk again, at least until it happens again. One thing I learned with all the miles I'v put on A6's is if its shaking or showing signs of ill handling or acting like the steering has a ming of its own, as in wanting to pull left and right on its own, it's generally the tires. I'm betting you need to have the Audi dealer do a road force balance on the tires if they are indeed new good quality tires. That is another thing I learned the hard way. Auto or tire shops just can't balance the tires properly for the Audi's.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

continental cont pro contacts, tiers were just spun balanced, I am told the breaks are slightly warped but I was told that it was only very very slight and I did not need to replace
them and when I run my fingers around the disc with the wheel off it does not feel bent (not a technical test i know).

any idea what else I could do before I replace the breaks (really hope I don't have to do that)

Old 10-30-2008, 10:51 PM
2nd Gear

rim bent ... rotors ...

spend some money on a nice set of wheels and some new brembros lol

Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

I like the standard rims and I am just buying a house (the enemy of having a nice car) so spending too much on the car is not an option

Old 10-31-2008, 02:17 AM
1st Gear

maybe wheel bearings

Old 10-31-2008, 08:17 AM
2nd Gear

Tires. Just had a set of those Contis. Put the car on a hoist and you could see the out of roundness from across the room. Switched to Goodyear, had the manager of the place (Discount Tire) road force balance them, and the car rides much better. It still has some shake at 75, but at least the car stays on the road!

Bob

Old 10-31-2008, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

I don't think it is wheel bearings when I had it up on the jack to check the tie rods I grabbed the wheel at 12 and 6 and there was no play in the wheels.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

I'm still betting its the tires. As I said before, I have had good tires ride like ****. Goodyear is a good brand for that. I bet if you got them rebalanced the problem would go away.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:27 PM
1st Gear
Smile Wheel Wobble

Hi. I read all of the posts to your thread and I'm inclined to think your problem may be warped rotors. This is the most likely cause, but there are other possiblities. If you don't have a bent wheel (rim), your tires pressures are at manufacturers specs, no "out of round" tires, balanced tires and last no torn CV boots that have allowed the grease to escape...thus causing an imbalance, you pobably just need to have new rotors installed on your car. If you're not sure what warped rotors are, its basically a rotor that is not "true" and flat. If there is a high spot anywhere on the surface, it causes the brake pad to be lifted with each rotation of the wheel as you drive. This lifting will always causes a shimmy or vibration in the steering wheel as the car is driven. I don't think Audi recommends turning rotors, to have them trued again, and don't understand why as long as they meet minimum thickness.
If you find that warped rotors are the source of your "wobble", you can minimize this happening in the future by not washing the car (wetting) the brakes when they are hot. I find most people have ths problem when they do this or use drive through car washes while the brakes are still hot. It can also be caused by driving through deep standing water once the brakes have gotten hot. Good Luck with it!

Quick Reply: Wheel Wobbles between 55 and 60 WHY!!!!