Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the most common oil leaks in A6's???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Where is the most common oil leaks in A6's???

A mechanic told me that i had a oil leak and on this forum a lot of people are telling me it common for A6's. But everytime i drive my a6 it always smells of burning oil.

I was just wondering if there is a common place for these oil leaks?? i want to find the leak but there is a ton of places to look.
Any help would be awesome.
Thanks!

Old 01-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Site Moderator

Yes, the valve cover gaskets only last around 50k then they leak on the exhaust giving you that burning oil smell. The cam adjuster seals which are right under the valve cover gaskets commonly leak as well, they look like half moon seals.
The cam adjuster is at the back of the head on the passenger's side and the front of the head on the drivers side.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Yes, the valve cover gaskets only last around 50k then they leak on the exhaust giving you that burning oil smell. The cam adjuster seals which are right under the valve cover gaskets commonly leak as well, they look like half moon seals.
The cam adjuster is at the back of the head on the passenger's side and the front of the head on the drivers side.
Big 2nd on the valve cover gaskets

Old 01-03-2009, 04:34 AM
1st Gear

Are certain oil leaks more common on certain engines?

I've had oil leaks from the oil pan gasket (actually, there isn't a gasket, it's just sealant that goes there). This I've had on a number of vehicles, not just Audi. Another leak I had was near the final drive of the gear box.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:35 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by katcoota
Are certain oil leaks more common on certain engines?

I've had oil leaks from the oil pan gasket (actually, there isn't a gasket, it's just sealant that goes there). This I've had on a number of vehicles, not just Audi. Another leak I had was near the final drive of the gear box.
*Generally* The 30valve engine burns more oil opposed to the 12valve engine because of the delicate valve cover gaskets. I have owned two 2.8 engines, never had a leak from the oil pan

Old 01-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Site Moderator

The oil pan usually doesn't leak, however its an easy fix if you need to re-seal the lower oil pan. Just drain the oil, drop the pan, scrape off all the old sealant and make sure none of it is left in the pan, dry off the pan, and put a new bead of (dealer) silicone on the pan going around the inside of the bolt holes as you go.
Be sure you are ready to put the pan back up and have the bolts close by after laying the bead of silicone because the stuff usually dries in minutes so haste is a requirement.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by auditech79
Yup, just changed my valve cover gaskets today due to a leak.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:01 PM
3rd Gear

"Where is the most common oil leaks in A6's???"

EVERYWHERE

Old 01-04-2009, 03:54 PM
2nd Gear

Just did my left side valve cover gasket yesterday. Hope I don't need to do the cam chain tensioner on that side....

Bob

Old 01-06-2009, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jeffla
"Where is the most common oil leaks in A6's???"

EVERYWHERE

hahaha thats fantastic.
Well i am gonna try my valve head gasket first to see if that is the problem. Thanks everyone!!!!

Quick Reply: Where is the most common oil leaks in A6's???