Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to start with this radio problem? Antena? Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:37 PM
1st Gear
Angry Where to start with this radio problem? Antena? Headunit

OK what is up with this? In hot weather my radio does not Auto tune (aka seek or scan), I can manually tune the radio and it will pickup many stations perfectly and the program buttons work perfectly.

The only thing that is wrong is that in hot weather when I press tune the numbers on the display go round and round as if the radio can not find anything?

Any ideas? I dont think it is the antenna as I can pick up stations and with a good signal strength when i manualy tune the radio. I have had some people tell me that it could be the head unit and others tell me that its something called a diversity unit.

Any ideas

Old 04-28-2009, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

i'm not familiar with a diversity unit, but i'd look at replacing the head unit.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

My radio would drop stations etc. Reception was not very good at times. In the C5 A6, the antennas are not very well shielded. I have a 2004 S-Line. Reception would sometimes get spotty and if I turned on the rear defroster, it would cut out all together. Fixed it by spraying some Windex on the inside of the back window over the two antennas and wiping the window in horizontal strokes...invisible grime/moisture was completing a connection between the antennas and the defroster wires which screwed up the radio. Cleaning the rear window fixed it right up. Before I could not get any stations in my underground parking spot, radio would never scan stations properly, and turning on the rear defroster killed the radio ecept for one or two stations. After the cleaning it worked fine and station scanning started to work.

I did not think cleaning the window would fix it as it was just cleaned professionally. The window was clean. But there was enough non-visible film/grim/waterever to complete a connection between the antennas and the defroster wires….I was very surprised but the cleaning did fix it. Give that a try.

Last edited by frizzlefry; 04-28-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:06 AM
4th Gear

Hmm.. gonna have to try that. My reception goes to crap every time the wind blows...

Old 04-29-2009, 10:22 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by frizzlefry
My radio would drop stations etc. Reception was not very good at times. In the C5 A6, the antennas are not very well shielded. I have a 2004 S-Line. Reception would sometimes get spotty and if I turned on the rear defroster, it would cut out all together. Fixed it by spraying some Windex on the inside of the back window over the two antennas and wiping the window in horizontal strokes...invisible grime/moisture was completing a connection between the antennas and the defroster wires which screwed up the radio. Cleaning the rear window fixed it right up. Before I could not get any stations in my underground parking spot, radio would never scan stations properly, and turning on the rear defroster killed the radio ecept for one or two stations. After the cleaning it worked fine and station scanning started to work.

I did not think cleaning the window would fix it as it was just cleaned professionally. The window was clean. But there was enough non-visible film/grim/waterever to complete a connection between the antennas and the defroster wires….I was very surprised but the cleaning did fix it. Give that a try.
that is phenomenal. i'm not even having problems with reception and i'm going to give that a try.

however, i don't think that is the OP's situation, as his stations come in perfectly when he manually selects them. he just cannot use the seek function in hot weather. given that temp seems to be a determining factor in this symptom, i would be hesitant to blame signal strength or reception quality.

i would say the head unit is faulty. if it's a huge issue for you, replace the head unit. if it were me, i would leave it be. i don't use the radio that often and when i do, i have already put all the stations i listen to on presets. my head unit may do that very thing and i just never saw it happen. i have 8.2G of music on my iPod and never even listen to CD's. i use the tuner on the occasions when i forget my ipod in my truck.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:51 PM
4th Gear

Well, there is a difference between manually tuning and seeking. While the signal may seem good when manually tuned, it may not be strong enough to pass muster while seeking. Many radios I have, both in the home and cars, do this since I'm waayy out in the fringe.

Do you have a 'RDS' button? That will select low signals to be included in the seek.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

I agree. When I had the problem, the stations sounded just fine but would not be discovered if seeked. Rear defrost would kill stations completely, except for one station and it sounded perfectly clear. The C5 antennas are VERY sensative it would seem. That or the bose system is very picky. I bet cleaning the rear window would fix it.