Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window regulator repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Window regulator repair

So my driver's window has a mind of its own. It goes down fine, goes up fast initially, then slow, then stop. Then down. I pull up again, it goes up, then slows down, stops, then down. If I assist it up, it goes up slowly. I hear this is a pretty common problem with audis.

Anyways, I'm freaked out about working on it. I worked at a Dodge dealer long ago, and they had a used 99 Passat for sale that I was interested in. I asked to test drive it, they said take it home over the weekend. Long story short, while driving, the window FELL down. I pulled over at a friends house and we pulled the door panel off, put the window back up, and away I went. Shortly thereafter, while driving, the car shut off, and never started again. The little red light on the door panel was going crazy. I assume something with the anti-theft caused it to die. And it never started again....

I really want to fix this problem, but I don't know if I'm going to screw it up by attempting to solve it. That Passat was the only car that ever did that to me.

So has anyone else had that problem, or know ways to not do that again?

Old 02-03-2009, 11:57 PM
3rd Gear

well... if you are concerned at all with the anti-theft immobilizing system (if you got one in your car), the simplest thing to do in order to replace the regulator is to... disconnect the battery.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:15 AM

This is the exact same thing that happened with my passenger's side window. I also was nervous about working on it since I am new to Audis. Luckily, I had a very simple fix - Silicone spray lubricant down the window tracks. Put the little red straw in the nozzle of the can, let the window down all the way, spray down in the front and rear window tracks and let the window back up. Do this as needed until it works normally again. Did this to all 4 windows and haven't had a problem since. You'll have to clean the window if you get too happy with the spray, though. =)

Old 02-04-2009, 11:08 AM
1st Gear

If you are only test driving the car and havent bought it yet, why would you want to fix it?

Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 PM
1st Gear

u need to replace two plastic guides. Each cost about 5 bucks and replacement take about 20-30 minutes. Real easy repair.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

Sweet. Thanks for the info. I was also a little concerned about disconnecting the battery. I didn't know if by doing that it would disable the car as well or not! I guess I really need to get a Bentley manual

About those plastic guides. Are there any pictures, parts diagrams, anything I can use as a reference to order them?

Gman, that was years ago, and a past experience. The reason I wanted to fix it even though I was only test driving it was because it was 20 miles to my house, in 20 degree weather. And the window was completely down. Which explains why I am being a little cautious of working on this car, since it's essentially the same, and it has one of those red blinking LED's of doom on the door.

This car's my DD, and my other car is undergoing some serious... modifications right now, so if I screw this up, I'll be walking!

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:08 PM
1st Gear
Default look at this ! :)

well, call 480-966-3040 EXT 239 and ask for Audi A6 window guide clips. $10.00 each

here is a step by step, how to do it I done it mine with same manual

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int45.shtml

Attached Thumbnails Window regulator repair-audi%2520-%2520window%2520lifting%2520mechanism%2520for%2520audi%252080_2404.jpg  
Old 02-16-2009, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

I bought the guides today and installed them. Once again, I really need to get a repair manual for this car. People always told me that German cars are weird, and they're right. That was the most awkward window I've ever removed. The whole frame came out! I don't think I'd have finished the job tonight without that walk-through. Anyways, you were right, and the guides fixed the problem. Kind of annoying when $20 and a little effort can save a lot of hassle with that stupid window.

Here are some pics of that little broken plastic piece that causes such a headache:

Old 02-24-2009, 03:27 PM

Sounds like you might need to replace the Window regulator guide clips. They can quite often find them on ebay in the UK / Europe. There are people who sell replacement clips that are uprated from the originals!!

Old 03-05-2009, 03:05 PM
1st Gear

^ Did he even read any of the thread aside from the title?

Quick Reply: Window regulator repair