Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windows up, battery drain, windows down all good

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Default windows up, battery drain, windows down all good

We have been messing around with an 2003 A4. We have had a problem with battery draining and leaving car dead. Finally figured out that car runs like a champ as long as we leave the windows down. With windows up, car drains the battery and hazard light stays on. Any suggestions?

Also, when car was dead we jumped it to take it to dealer to look at. At that time the windows messed up and wouldn't work. Dealer replaced the window switch so they would work again. Not sure if this has anything to do with the parasitic battery drain. Dealer finally gave up and returned to us as unfix-able because they could not solve the drain. We were able to figure out through trial and error that the windows were the key.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:11 AM
1st Gear
Default window causing power drain... one or all?

Originally Posted by striker451
We have been messing around with an 2003 A4. We have had a problem with battery draining and leaving car dead. Finally figured out that car runs like a champ as long as we leave the windows down. With windows up, car drains the battery and hazard light stays on. Any suggestions?
Sounds strange. Is it all the windows or just one? How "open" does it have to be to not cause the drain?

I would guess that it had something to do with the "one touch" window closing. It may be trying to close the window a little further than it will go. (I would have thought it would burn out the motor.... ) I remember seeing a procedure to "calibrate" the system. Anyone know what I think I saw?

Hazard lights stay on? Are you talking about the four way flashers? Could this be something to do with the alarm system?

Believe it or not, you might get some useful information from the less checked controllers with a VAG-Com. Look under "Comfort/Conv." or just run "Auto-Scan."

While much of the systems are the same as the A6, there might be some differences with the A4. Maybe someone in the "A4" forum would know....

But let us know what you find.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Default good information on things to try

Thanks for all the information. By hazard light staying lit I mean the triangle on the dash. Tomorrow I will try different window scenarios to start things off and see what happens. It may just be the driver's window, now that you mention it.

when the car drained out the first time and we jumped it, three windows still worked but the driver's side window and one touch switch stopped working. Dealer replaced the switch and then tried to figure out the parasitic drain. They ended up replacing the alarm horn as well. Battery still drained to where car was dead after a day or two and after testing everything for weeks they gave up. We just happened to figure out the window thing by dumb luck.

I will see where I can go from here and give feedback. Thanks for the help.

Also, I meant to post this in B6 forum and apparently hit A6 instead. Sorry for posting in the wrong place but again, many thanks.

Last edited by striker451; 09-01-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:26 AM
1st Gear

i think there is aproblem with one touch switch.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:33 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds more like the window motor is not sensing the top of travel. Test all windows up except driver's all the way down. If that works, test same but with driver's window halfway up. If that works, try with all others down and driver's all up. If that fails, replace the window motor.

Or, get an ammeter with a loop inductor and find the current drain. The dealer should have done this if they were any good.

Bob

Old 09-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Default results of window test

Originally Posted by bob martin
Sounds more like the window motor is not sensing the top of travel. Test all windows up except driver's all the way down. If that works, test same but with driver's window halfway up. If that works, try with all others down and driver's all up. If that fails, replace the window motor.

Or, get an ammeter with a loop inductor and find the current drain. The dealer should have done this if they were any good.

Bob
If I leave any window fully up, hazard light on dash stays lit and I can hear noise from glove box area, which drains battery. If I put all windows just short of fully closed, hazard light goes off with interior lights and noise from glove box stops. I obviously would have to let it sit with windows cracked for a few days to confirm that this works but pretty safe to say that is the answer.

Dealer had to replace the one touch switch when it stopped working. I assume that the window motor is a separate part?

And no, dealer was not good. we were sent to them after an independent could not find drain.

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:31 PM
2nd Gear

Noise from glove box? Hhhhmmmmm.

If you leave any one window all the way up, do you still get the noise (and light)?

Bob

Old 09-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Default More window testing

Originally Posted by bob martin
Noise from glove box? Hhhhmmmmm.

If you leave any one window all the way up, do you still get the noise (and light)?

Bob
It is one window! Rear window on driver's side, if it is cracked everything turns off, and I assume drain stops. Both passenger side windows all the way up, no issues. Added driver's side window, no issues. Added rear driver's window, battery drain, or I should say hazard triangle stays lit on dash. Though glove box sound seems to quiet down after 30 seconds or so regardless of hazard light staying on so that can be removed from the mix. But when I start car, hazard triangle light and dome lights are on, and hazard goes out when dome light goes out as long as I have that one window cracked. What the heck does that mean?

Last edited by striker451; 09-02-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:53 AM
1st Gear

Interesting.

Maybe something to do with the Alarm system. eBuhn wiring for a 2003 A6 has connections between the "control module for central locking" and all of the window motors. I do not have the diagrams for an A4. If the Alarm is being tripped by the window it will show up with a VAG-Com. Anyone with an Audi that is not dealer maintained ($$$) should have one.

Has this car had any modifications to the electrical system? (Aftermarket Alarm system?)

It maybe time to disconnect connectors and see what happens. (Like the driver's rear window motor.) How much do you use that window anyway??? ;-)

Old 09-03-2009, 09:37 AM
2nd Gear

It's probably the sensor that registers the top of travel in the window motor. Like Mike said, disconnect the motor and see if the problem goes away. If it does, replace the motor (or clean up the top of travel sensor if you can).

Bob

Quick Reply: windows up, battery drain, windows down all good