Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I proceed????
Yes, Proceed with caution
7.14%
No, Run like the wind and never look back
92.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Would You buy this car? Lemon or Lemonaid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Banned

id say run away too itll only lead to you being pissed off in the future and kicking yourself for ever buying it and knowing you coulda had something better.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:47 PM
1st Gear

No doubt about it. Do NOT buy this car. You will be sorry somewhere down the line. Also, a point was made about a Camry, which is right on the money. I am very familiar with the A6 2.7T (daughter's car, which I love, but has ridiculous upkeep at 89,000 miles) and the Camry 2.4L, which my wife owns (117,000 miles) - both of them 2000 model years. I think the A6 is the finest sedan I have driven, but the Camry is the best. You cannot beat a Japanese or Korean car, for the most part, if you have a family and don't need the overhead of high maintenance. When you have money to play with and the kids are grown, then the Audi would make sense. As much as I love the A6, one cannot justify the high maintenance costs along with the high (depreciating) investment cost. Finally, do not pay more than wholesale for a used Audi. You will notice, though, that Accords and Camrys usually command more than wholesale due to their deserved reputation for an outstanding and low cost service life. You can find a lot of Sonatas coming off lease (2006 model year or newer) at great prices. I put a lot of mileage on about 10 of them, with both the V6 and I4. Either one is great but the V6 has great power and nice amenities if packaged correctly. Perfect family car. No AWD, though, but you live in California which might not be as big a detriment to acquisition as it is right now in Pittsburgh!

Old 01-17-2009, 12:45 AM
1st Gear
Default Ouch, I hear you all!

Well, after reading all of your insight. I have decided to listen to some of the voice of reason. I have decided against the Lemon A6 3.0. However, there is nothing in this world that would push my feet into a Sonata or Camry (no offense). I would rather pile up my money and stare at it than look at that in my driveway. Keep in mind that besides my A4 my other beater is a 2001 Range Rover. I am used to working on cars and cursing the maintenance gods. I like to get to drive in expensive european cars for fractions of the price that my banker does. Sooooooo, I reconfigured and low, a deal fell in my lap:

2004 A6 2.7T Quattro
S Line Package
Ming Blue Pearl
Tan Leather
53,000 Miles
$10,500

This seemed like too good a deal to pass up and besides needing some tires and some worn brake pads, it is in darn fine condition. I went ahead and invested in a 4 yr 48000 mile warranty that covers almost everything under the sun (except tires and breakpads LOL).

Thank you for your honest input. I am glad I took time to rethink as I basically got a lot more car for $600 more.

Thanks fellow Audi freaks. Now, do I sell or keep the A4? I sense another poll in the future LOL.

Matt

Old 01-17-2009, 01:06 AM
1st Gear
Default By The Way

Feel free to visit my garage to see pics of my new ride. I am very excited about it. I have named the new beast "Threat Level Midnight" in honor of its midnight blue color and its absolutely awesome performance. Thanks again.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:11 AM
3rd Gear

Good job and congrats, as it looks pretty sharp.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:13 AM
1st Gear
Default Windshield says almost 2oK

Wow, you got them to drop almost 5o% off the asking for the car? Thats a smokin deal on an A6 S-Line w/ those miles on it. I know if I had to sell mine ( which is identical to yours even in miles ) I'd have to shed a tear - or 3.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:04 AM
2nd Gear

Nice find!

Old 01-17-2009, 09:18 PM

The problem with the AVT is that few transmission shops have enough experience with this type of transmission, so repair or replacement will be more expensive. A 12m/12k warranty is not enough to cover the risk that the repairs may be only a temporary fix to get a lemon sold.
However, any car can be destoyed by poor maintenance, such as having unqualified mechanics tampering with high tech systems and using the wrong tools.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:25 PM
1st Gear

Great deal. Best of luck with it and have fun.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:06 PM
3rd Gear

2004 A6 2.7T Quattro

Far better choice. Enjoy the new car, I wish my 2.8 was an s-line 2.7

Quick Reply: Would You buy this car? Lemon or Lemonaid?