Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YIKES! I need HELP with wheel gap!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 11:14 PM
1st Gear
Default YIKES! I need HELP with wheel gap!

Finally had the opportunity to put the S4 rims (Audi OEM 17”) on today. They look good but YIKES! Look at the wheel gap… I need to lower this car. What do you guys recommend for strut + spring setup? I like to lower ~ 1.5”… I have 2002 A6 3.0L…

All the time and money I spent on my cars; I would do it all over again…

Old 03-11-2007, 04:15 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: YIKES! I need HELP with wheel gap!

I used H&R sport lowering springs. They drop the car 1.6 inches. My german car mechanic told me I didn't need new struts with these but said if I wanted to do it that Bilstiens make the best. I have heard bad things about the adjustable coil overs. Even the ones made by H&R. I've been told that the struts blow out pretty quickly. Hope that helps.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

[Thanks for the info... Do you have photo of your car?

ORIGINAL: A6onBlack

I used H&R sport lowering springs. They drop the car 1.6 inches. My german car mechanic told me I didn't need new struts with these but said if I wanted to do it that Bilstiens make the best. I have heard bad things about the adjustable coil overs. Even the ones made by H&R. I've been told that the struts blow out pretty quickly. Hope that helps.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:16 PM

Sliver and white? Nice to see another 928 owner lurking 'round. From your experience with that car you probably know that H&R is a decent project except for the 4.2- or so I"ve read. Might want to look overseas too, Spax, B&G and a few other options may be available over there. Don't know whether Tien has an offerings, they are primarily for the asian market. Or, if you don't want to get too low you could think about fitting some springs from a car with the sport package...but then the damping might be off. Have to say that I concur with the Bilstien shock advice.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:00 AM
1st Gear

Silver & white? Do you mean the BMW M3? If so, it is actually silver with grey interior. Looks like you also own a 928... They are becoming somewhat extinct and parts are starting to get expensive (like it was ever cheap to begin with). This one is 1988 928 S4 with 5-Speed Manual with several mods including exhaust, intake, chip, GTS Big Brakes, and GTS Rims. It come close to 400 H.P. It is highway screamer!

Anyway... Back to suspension setup... Thanks for your info... I was thinking about this: Do anyone tried Koni Sport Adjustable with Eibach Spring setup? I have this setup on my BMW 5-Series and love it! But I'm not sure how they are for Audi A6...

ORIGINAL: smtcapecod

Sliver and white? Nice to see another 928 owner lurking 'round. From your experience with that car you probably know that H&R is a decent project except for the 4.2- or so I"ve read. Might want to look overseas too, Spax, B&G and a few other options may be available over there. Don't know whether Tien has an offerings, they are primarily for the asian market. Or, if you don't want to get too low you could think about fitting some springs from a car with the sport package...but then the damping might be off. Have to say that I concur with the Bilstien shock advice.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:03 AM

Those colors just seemed to dominate in the images in the first post. Congrats on snagging a 5 speed. And a Maser to boot..your a patient man! If you think parts are scarce for the '88, consider how much fun I have sourcing the correct parts for an Austrian-spec RoW Euro car!

Old 03-14-2007, 04:23 PM
1st Gear

Junger
im interested to hear any results you have come up with or conclusions you have come too.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:25 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Junger

Finally had the opportunity to put the S4 rims (Audi OEM 17”) on today. They look good but YIKES! Look at the wheel gap… I need to lower this car. What do you guys recommend for strut + spring setup? I like to lower ~ 1.5”… I have 2002 A6 3.0L…

you mean rs4 rims...

Old 03-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Ozz
1st Gear

If your pocket is deep enough - go for H&R coilovers, you'll love it !!!

Old 03-15-2007, 01:31 AM
1st Gear

I think I'm going to go with Eibach springs. I heard they are more comfortable than H&R and equal performance to H&R. However, I still have not decided between Bilstien or Koni yet... I do like the fact that you can adjust the dampers on Koni to custom tune your ride. I'm leaning towards Koni again...

ORIGINAL: RIA6

Junger
im interested to hear any results you have come up with or conclusions you have come too.

Quick Reply: YIKES! I need HELP with wheel gap!