Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Audio System!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:22 AM
1st Gear
Default Your Audio System!!!!!

Friends, i've tried this post before without much success... i've done my search and haven't come up with a clear answer. under ideal conditions what, IYO, is the best set-up for your Symphony Stereo.

So far, I am keeping the head-unit and going with an OEM Ipod adapter... then i will add a decent sub, thereby lowering the bass output of my factory speakers and allowing them to produce greater clarity.

my questions, feel free to pick and choose:

what set up are you running?

If you've swapped your head unit.. which one did you go with and why?

if you swapped your speakers what did you go with?

if you changed your factory set-up and were not satisfied why?

Simply, what would be your ideal set-up????

also, if you know of a link that has already dealt with this issue please post it here...

thanks all,

T2.7tt

Old 01-22-2008, 02:11 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Your Audio System!!!!!

bump

Old 01-22-2008, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

I'm also rockin the Bose symphony setup and would love to hear what others have done. My system is happy and well. I'm not losing sleep over it. But I'm guessing I'm pretty screwed with the Bose system. Heck, if anyone even has useful links to products or schematics I'd love to see it. (Just got my car on friday so I'm learning my way around still.)

For starters... where can I get a tool to pull the HU out? At the very least I'd like to wire an Aux In into my CD changer port.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

I have just recently swaped out my head unit in my 2000 a6 2.7t because i wasn't satisfied with the bass i was getting. im running a panasonic cq-vd6505u which is a 6.5" touch screen and i also have a 10"kicker L5 hooked up to that.i didn't change the speakers they are good but if you want to i would go with jl audio. i found that with a new head unit it clarifies all your speakers and has a better bass hit. plus i can watch movies in my car also if you are changing the headunit i found this very usefull scosche insalation kit http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/9 also look for the wire harness for the bose system they are different i made that mistake

Old 01-22-2008, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

This guy on the Audiworld.com A6 (C5) forums might be someone to talk to - Also, check out his stereo upgrade story (links are in his sig in the post)

http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/718507.phtml

Old 01-23-2008, 08:33 AM
1st Gear

come'on guys... give us some feedback... lil'help over heeere~!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

ya'all suck!!!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:21 AM
3rd Gear

Dude don't be a dousch...people have responded. Refresh your page.
Well I have my stock symphony headunit on my 01 right now but I do have a 7" Pioneer AVIC double din my g/f got for me in its box. That I'll put in my next A6.
Running stock speakers because the bose are pretty good. if I was to upgrade my next car's audio I would get memphis.
I got a 12" Kicker L5 in a custom kicker box with a 1500.1 AutoTek amp and monster cable 4g wire. No fuse or anything runs great with red top optima. Capacitors are a joke unless you got a weak battery or you wire it cheap.
I also have a brand new 2200w 12" Memphis sub in my room (Memphis is the orange brand sub. The BEST. And no, you won't find it in Best Buy or Circuit City. Dealers only)
Set up for next system:
-Pioneer DVD/nav dd
-Memphis mids
-Memphis 12"
-Hifonics Amp-Low
-AutoTek Amp-Mid

I would get my boxes professionally built in my trunk but I travel a lot and sometimed I need to unhook my box and take it out to free some space. So custom MDF boxes are good enough for me. I hold them in place with my cargo net. I only use one big *** sub because it may not be as much bass as 2, but its a lot clearer, which is my objective. Clean, loud bass. If you want to rattle your dashboard off get 2 1000w+ subs. The stock HU is fine. You'll just have to get a converter for the amp wiring. Bose Speakers are high quality and you'll be dropping a few benjamins for an upgrade over Bose. If you want a good bass setup look into Kicker L series. They make a dope box for the L7's. And they look awsome. It'll only set you back around $500. Then look up Maxxsonics. Awesome amps. They got different brands for w/e you're looking for. If you're not too good with wiring I would take it to a shop. You don't want to risk an electrical fire. Let me know if you got any more questions.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

Thanks everyone for theresponses...

trickster00a6i'm weary of going panasonic... the price is not bad for what its worth... any gaps in the dash with ur HU and Kit? can you change the ambient lighting to match OEM?

and thank you clericfor the link... i've read it before and i think alot of the pics are expired so its tough to follow... but the set-up is a little over the top... i'll have my car for more or less 3 years... and will do the HEA thing on my next ride.

euro_2nr,i plan on keeping the HU... but could be pursuaded otherwise. I had a high end Alpine in my Passat (before it was stolen) and even with stock speakers and no sub it was amazing. I have read on several posts both here and on World that when you swap the HU you geta much crisper sound and bass... even if you swap it forone of the newer RSN-E Nav units.

Your set-upis the one im going with... its the most economical and OEM. However, why not go with Two smaller subs instead of one?? I hear that the bass is cleaner.

Also, whaddu all think about the powered subs... seems to be a real easy plug and play! http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...=114&avf=N
I more than likely will put the extra energy and money intobuilding my own box though.

Do you experience rattle with your 12"?... i do not want to dynamat anything.

Lastly, how have you changed you're EQ settings? did you use the secret settings?
Hidden Equalizer
The following is the procedure on how to access and adjust the "hidden" equalizer feature in the Audi Symphony radio.

Turn off radio.
While pressing and holding the Preset 5 button, turn on radio.
You'll see a series of 8 digits displayed. From the factory, it's set to "55555555". You will not hear any sound when running in this mode.
The first four digits correspond to the four equalizer bands (low, low-mid, upper-mid, high) for the front speakers, and the last four digits are the same for the rear speakers. The level can be set from 1 (minimum) to 9 (maximum).
Turn the volume control **** to increase or decrease the level for the band (which is blinking). To advance to the next band, press the P.Scan button.
When you are done, turn off radio, then turn it back on to hear the results. On some versions of the Symphony, you must also cycle the ignition key to hear the results. [/ol]

Old 01-24-2008, 02:06 PM
3rd Gear

Egh...I've hardly heard any 10" sound cleaner than a L5. Maybe a JL is but imo they're overpriced. I did do my own box but it was sealed so I went ahead and bought a Kicker ported box. Dramatic change. And I was gonna go ahead and buy an Alpine eq. but my amp came with its own bass controller so I use that and the 3 settings on the stock HU. But that hidden eq. makes me curious...hmmm... No rattly components yet. Been bumping strong for about a year and everything is sturdy. And powered subs are good if you just need a little bass boost...but it won't scramble your brains. Try looking for a bass package online or at a sound system shop. Ask him to give you a package that is easy on the wallet but you'll be able to hear goin 60 with your windows down. No retailers. They rape you on cheap brands.

Quick Reply: Your Audio System!!!!!